Information on G-Dock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Information on G-Dock

For those wanting to fish Bay Bridge East and have asked about G dock location, you're told to do a search on MKF. If you do a search on "G dock," it can still be hard to find with the many threads, so I'm linking one of the threads for you:

Start at post #12
    http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...ht=dock&page=2

Please note:
    - In the past, we launched from a sandy area next to Hemmingway's. Hemmingway's is a restaurant on marina grounds. You can't launch from there anymore.
    - The marina is Bay Bridge Marina, which hosts a private yacht club.
    - Through the continual efforts (during 2011) of several MKF members, we have been given the privilege of launching from the Marina. The Dockmaster said we can launch off of G dock. There is no fee for yak launching.
    - G dock is a boat dock. That is, it's elevated off the water, maybe a foot and a half. There is no gradual launch ramp there. You have to drop your yak down, have a buddy help you, or whatever to launch your yak (the ways are discussed in other MKF threads). Parking is ample with a short walk to the dock.
    - As I recall, there is no gate, so you can access the dock at anytime.
    - Since we have that free launching privilege, we want to retain that privilege. So, please maintain some level of responsibility (don't leave trash, keep your area clean, don't do too much loitering, etc.). I personally pick up trash around the area when I see it.
    Last edited by tufnik; 05-03-2012, 08:07 AM.
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

most of the boat slips at the g dock are now occupied with boats. last couple times, had to go down the dock to try and find an empty slip. so again, be courteous and don't leave your trash wandering around. this is the only reasonable place we can launch from on the eastern side.
    Hobie Revolution 13
    Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

i would say from windsurf experience that getting and keeping access is tough. WS access has been lost at many places due to issues such as speeding, gear in way of other users or posing some sort of hazard, perceived safety issues of the WS'rs themselves, 'language', littering, parking problems of various sorts.

fwiw, the sandy launch at hemmingways used to be a WS access at one time but was shut down years ago. not sure what the problem was really.

i think sometimes the problems are imagined or exaggerated in the minds of just a few other people at the beach, but they make their voice heard and change follows.

my suggestion is to drive slow, spend minimum time on the facility grounds, be polite and quiet and hyper-aware of trash falling out of vehicle etc. in other words - maintain as low of profile and zero impact on other customers as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Grilled Sardine View Post
        most of the boat slips at the g dock are now occupied with boats. last couple times, had to go down the dock to try and find an empty slip. so again, be courteous and don't leave your trash wandering around. this is the only reasonable place we can launch from on the eastern side.
        I had to do the same on my last trip there. There is a small space (maybe 4-5 feet) between the concrete edge and the first slip. It's narrow, but you could launch there. One problem there is that there is no rubber edging on the corner of that particular dock platform to prevent yak scratches.

I'm beginning to think if G dock slips fill up, we may be directed to another dock or may be told yak launching is no longer allowed.

+1 on the courtesy, zero impact, low profile, etc.

Comment

I'll say it again...go by where the boat crane is. You walk down a lil ramp to a floating dock. Boats don't don't park there...its not a slip. bout 6-8" off the water.
          Attached Files
          <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Originally posted by MetroMan View Post
            I'll say it again...go by where the boat crane is. You walk down a lil ramp to a floating dock. Boats don't don't park there...its not a slip. bout 6-8" off the water.
            I don't think that's part of G dock. As I understand, we're to specifically launch off G dock. Actually, we need some clarity. Who is the person who actually spoke to the Dockmaster?

The Dockmaster may have specifically said G dock and meant to rule out the boat ramp. I would guess because it's not an official launch for the public and it may have liability implications. After all, we're not paying customers and we've signed no operating agreement.

Comment

Wouldn't hurt to spend some money at the Restaurant either ....... I think they are all connected and if they know our faces we might get the other launch back ......... just sayin

Comment

Originally posted by Memory Maker View Post
                Wouldn't hurt to spend some money at the Restaurant either ....... I think they are all connected and if they know our faces we might get the other launch back ......... just sayin
                overpriced and food is not that great.....just my opinion!
                Hobie Revolution 13
                Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

I made the contact with the dock master ans the yacht club owner last year to clear g dock. G dock is what was stated in those talks however the repair dock wasn't brought up.
                  Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

The hemmingways beach is strictly off limits.
                    Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

Originally posted by Pinch View Post
                      I made the contact with the dock master ans the yacht club owner last year to clear g dock. G dock is what was stated in those talks however the repair dock wasn't brought up.
                      I'm sure they would have mentioned the service/repair area as a yak launch, but they didn't. So, sounds to me we should follow their instructions. By using G dock only I think we avoid a potential incident or miscommunication with them. What do you guys think?

Comment

Working...
                      X