Those Baitcasters are Awesome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Those Baitcasters are Awesome

I've been using spinners for over 40 years. My first spinner was a Mitchell 302 Saltwater (still use it today). I never tried baitcasters and I figured I had no need for them. They seemed harder to cast, and I didn't want to fuss with birdnests.

Over a year ago I read an article about a survey given to west coast kayak fisherman. The survey asked if the preferred reel was a spinner or baitcaster. I was surprised: about 70% preferred the BC. I asked myself, "Am I missing something?" and "What's the big deal?"

I decided I had to try one before I pass judgement and banish this "other" reel. About a year ago I bought a new middle-of-the-line Daiwa Saltist for shore fishing. Yep, I got a bunch of birdnests. One birdnest took me over half an hour to fix while I was shore fishing. It was a pain during following fishing trips, but I was determined to learn how to use the thing. My target was to make 30 casts with the BC every time I went fishing, which was almost every weekend. I finally got it down pat. On some trips, I didn't get any birdnests.

I went on to buy my first light-tackle BC, a Quantum Catalyst, for yak fishing. I liked it so much I bought several more BCs during these past months. I finally got it. I have seen the light. BCs are just awesome for yak fishing. (e.g., thumb control on the line, line on top so no tangle on the yak, lightweight, more line capacity)

I do get an occasional birdnest while fishing on the yak, but they are minor and can be fixed in less than a minute.

Pic: My for-yak-fishing collection today
    1st row - Abu Garcia: Revo SX HS, Orra Inshore, Ambassadeur C3 6500
    2nd row - Quantum: Cabo PTS, Catalyst PT, Tour Edition TE100
    3rd row - Shimano: Curado 200E7, Calcutta 200B, Calcutta CT-400
    4th row - Daiwa: Luna 253

BTW, I do occasionally bring a spinner as back-up on the yak

What's your story and what BCs do you use on the yak? Pics?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by tufnik; 03-10-2012, 11:22 AM.
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Like you, I had only fished spinning reels. After reading many posts on here and other fishing boards, I decided to give the old baitcaster a try. Well, eight months later, I now have 5 baitcasters.
    3 Abu Ambassadeurs: 4600 C4, 6601 C3 and 6601 C4
    A Penn 940
    and a Rovex Kinetic 6500.
    Attached Files
    Hobie PA 12

Comment

First off welcome to the dark side of fishing and man that’s a pretty collection you have there. I especially like the 6500 I’m a big Abu fan. I never really got into the low profile bait casters, just stuck to what I learned on the old school round style. Though I have been thinking of getting a low pro bc reel. Even the best caster will get a birds nest every now and then.
      '12 Ocean Kayak Prowler trident 13 Orange
      '09 Wilderness Systems Ride 135 Red
      Kayak Fishing Mafia

-Both fish and men are often caught with artificial's-

Comment

I own 3 curado 201e7's
        2 abu 6501's

I only use spinners for super light tackle

not all of them but you get the idea.
        Last edited by Pinch; 03-10-2012, 12:01 PM.
        Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

The flock
          2 Vintage Abu 7000's the good ones
          2 Abu 6500's
          1 Abu 5000
          Attached Files
          '12 Ocean Kayak Prowler trident 13 Orange
          '09 Wilderness Systems Ride 135 Red
          Kayak Fishing Mafia

-Both fish and men are often caught with artificial's-

Comment

I stopped by Pinch’s house and he gave me a two minute lesson on the low profile B/C. I then went out and bought one and used it for the rest of the year. Picked one up from Redfish in December and just bought another. I'm very happy with the baitcasters.
            2012 Hobie Revo 13'
            2012 Hobie PA12'

Comment

Last year was my 1st year with a baitcaster. I picked up the curado and matched it with a SC Mojo Bass rod and love the feel of it but never got confident with casting. I mainly use it for vertical jigging and its very good for that.

For you converts ......... Do you think you can cast farther with a baitcaster??

When I want to cast for any distance I always use my spinning setups because I just cant cast very far with the baitcaster. 50 feet is about as far as I feel confident casting the baitcaster without getting a birds nest.

Any tips for good settings on the curado for better casting without tangles??
              2013 PRO ANGLER 12
              2013 Cuda 12

Comment

I used to only have conventional reels- For twenty years in the early 70- 80's, I surf fished Nag's Head/Hatteras every year with Penn Squidders and Jigmasters on 10 1/2' Lamiglas heavers- fished big poppers, hammered Hopkins lures and big hunks of cut mullet on fish finder rigs for blues, stripers and red drum. When the Abu 9000 and 10000C reels hit the market, I was converted to the Sweeds- great reels- we used to have a casting team that went every year to Ocean City Maryland from the Tidewater Angler's club- I couldn't get off work the year our team won the 4 0z angler's championship with a five cast average of 432 feet...I have always used conventional reels- my Dad didn't have any spinners and we fished for everything with Pflueger Presidents and Shakespeare baitcasters. Dad had several steel rods (can you imagine being in a thunderstorm with one?) with baitcasters on them...we had linen and braided nylon lines back in the fifties before mono was invented. Still caught a lot of fish...Bomber, Creek Chub, Lhuer Jenson, Heddon and Shyster were the top bait makers- there were no soft plastics back then...

I have a matched pair of Abu 6500C outfits loaded with 20# braid that I use for trolling the Bay- I have a Revo SX HS and a Curado 200e7 mounted on 7'9" Capt. Blair Wiggins Flats Blue s-glas rods for tossing baits at bass, snakeheads, and speckled trout- they work fine for jigging, too. I have several Shimano reels as well as Abu 4600C's...a Abu 5000C and a Daiwa Saltist 40 for really heavy work.

I have several spinners, too- two Penn's on 7 foot light action rods for tossing light lures, a Pflueger Supreme 4060 on a 7'6" medium-light rod and two UL outfits for some fun with fresh water...and a bunch of surf fishing outfits, too- Not much I am not rigged for- Oh, Yeah a 8 ' 7 weight fly rod, too...
                "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I just bought a carrot stix baitcaster rod for half price at gander mountain and also bought a shimano citica to put on it. I already have a Shimano Citica on an old Berkley rod and I've caught quite a few fish on that. Can't wait for the new setup to come in!

By the way, if anyone wants to order from Gander Mountain, they have free shipping right now and the carrot stix are half price. Also, if you spend more than $100, you can use this code to get an additonal $20 off with this code:

GM2WL27

This code can be used on multipe orders, not just once.
                  Ryan
                  Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                  Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

The only BC I have in my current arsenal in a shimano calcutta 400b, excellent bc if you like the round type reliable and one of the smoothest drags ive used.

Comment

I love my baitcasters. About 90% of my fishing is with Baitcasters. I much prefer them when working plugs or jigs. I really like the ability to palm the reel. Just a personal preference. Spinners are good too. Anything 1/4oz or less I use my spinners.

My current collection....

Low profile:

Quantum KVD1100
                      Quantum (something?)
                      ABU Revo Toro Winch 60 (Saltwater Plugging)

round:

Abu BCX5600
                      Abu 6500 CT Sports Mag
                      Abu 6500 CT Blue Yonder
                      Abu 7000 CT (upgraded to ABEC ceramic bearings)
                      Abu 60HC Record
                      Penn Squall 15
                      Daiwa SHV30

Still love my spinners though. Much less maintenance and rock solid in windy conditions.

Comment

I only have one spinning combo now and that's for throwing light stuff. Everything else are baitcasters and conventionals.

I've got...
                        Shimano chronarch
                        Curado 300 ej
                        Abu revo inshore
                        Curado 200e7
                        Luna 253
                        couple saltists
                        Hobie Revolution 13
                        Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

I seem to be very much in the minority on this thread, but I don't like baitcasters and will not buy another one. 15 years ago I bought a custom rod with a gold Calcutta reel. I used it several times and did not like the smaller size and feel of the double ended handle. I never could learn how to avoid birdsnests. I sold it after a few months. I had owned another baitcaster prior to that and didn't like it either.

I'm glad we have a wide range of choices in equipment. Those who prefer baitcasters -- go ahead an enjoy your tackle. But for me, I will stick with good quality spinning reels.
                          John Veil
                          Annapolis
                          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

OBX,
                            Sure looks like you're an Abu guy. What kind of yellow line is that? One thing about Abus, they sell them in many color, so you can collect the flavors....lol

Cage,
                            I don't think you can cast farther with a BC. You can adjust the drag system, but there still is noticeable line drag during the cast. For me, distance is not the issue because I can move to position in the yak as well as actually work the bottom via jigging. For very light tackle casting, I use spinners.

MTD,
                            I like the HC60 and the Squall 15, so I may pick them up for my shore fishing.

Here's a pic of my shore fishing BCs.
                            Daiwa Sealine 20SHA
                            Daiwa Saltist 30HA
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by tufnik; 03-10-2012, 11:31 PM.
                            2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                            2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                            2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Interesting to see you guys are using a lot of low profile baitcasters I know they are popular with bass guys and for saltwater I know alot of guys fish them for redfish down south but I didn't know they had such a presence is bay fishing here. On the eastern shore I've never seen many guys using low profile style but a lot of people there that use bait casters are using them for bottom fishing and live lining so most casting would be with a spinner. I just have more of a feel for whats going on at the end of my line on spinning tackle personally. I like my baitcaster for bottom fishing but as far as using jig heads with gulp or other soft baits I just use my spinning gear.

Comment

Working...
                              X