Reds and Specks at Rudee. One Bite CBBT 4-02-17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reds and Specks at Rudee. One Bite CBBT 4-02-17

Good news kayak doesn't appear to be leaking anymore, but I now carry a bilge pump in addition to some other gear, just in case.

I launched at Rudee in the AM to try for some reds/specks, while I waited for the wind to calm down at CBBT. I caught two reds @17" in two different areas and a short speck. I talked to another kayaker who said he caught a 18" flounder the other day and I saw a family catch a smaller flounder today.

I waited until about 3:00 to make the move over to the CBBT, so I didn't get the tide I wanted, but I had much safer conditions. I took my time getting out there with a bit of a wet launch, but I made it out safely and enjoyed the cruise over to the fishing grounds. I had one bite, which I couldn't set, but I enjoyed being out there, testing some gear, and learning more about the area.

Here's a link to the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGaPZvsEJi0

Jake
    J

Jake,
    It is nice to hear that the kayak wasn't leaking any more. I am glad that you tried for tog. That was a bog beginning of a whole new adventure in you area.
    Next time show us pictures of good size specks and togs.

BTW, what kinds of tackles did you use for togging?

Joe
    Fish like there's no tomorrow.
    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

I went with a Kastking Royale Legend and the rod is a Ugly Stick GX2 H. I couldn't find the Muskie rods that are lighter. It was only $39.99 and it felt comfortable out there. Still need to test the combo with a fish. I have 50 Lbs braid attached to a 50 Lbs leader with the hooks you gave me and a 5 oz weight.

I'm going out to CBBT tomorrow before I work - you were right about being hooked on it! I'll be on the outgoing tide.
      J

Comment

Jake,
        Your rod and reel combo looks good. No reasons to spend a lot of money. So far I like the KastKing reel for 3-4 trips. I think you will get a couple of keepers.
        Depending on the current and size of the bait, you can go with 3 - 5 OZ. When I used a half shrimp, I go with 4 OZ. I won't stay with the first bridge column more than 10 minutes. I will move and fish next 7 pilings, working on the Ocean side columns (outgoing tide) for 5 minutes each. I will come back to the first piling if I have time.

Joe
        Last edited by ComeOnFish; 04-05-2017, 05:46 AM.
        Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)

Comment

Thanks Joe - great advice!

I managed one @14" today. I had another one similar size, but I was playing with my camera and lost it. I went about 2 miles out and worked my way back piling to piling and started getting bites near where we were before. I could only keep my kayak on the ocean side piling because of the current. Really nice out today and there were a few others out there.
          J

Comment

Originally posted by Jman View Post
            Thanks Joe - great advice!

I managed one @14" today. I had another one similar size, but I was playing with my camera and lost it. I went about 2 miles out and worked my way back piling to piling and started getting bites near where we were before. I could only keep my kayak on the ocean side piling because of the current. Really nice out today and there were a few others out there.
            I lost many fish when I was playing with the fish. It happened during the last CHSP trip (perhaps it could be the only keeper) and the last CBBT trip. Now I don't get mad at all when I loose fish when trying to start video. Loosing fish while playing with the cameras became a regular routine.

I don't have an Ugly Stick GX2 H. I can be wrong about your rod. But, I am wondering if your rod is too flexible when setting the hook in 17 - 45' of water. the hook may not go through tough area near the teeth. It can be more problematic (for flexible rod) for sheepshead. A sheepshead has 2-3 rows of teeth (upper lip).

Joe
            Last edited by ComeOnFish; 04-05-2017, 06:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ComeOnFish View Post

I don't have an Ugly Stick GX2 H. I can be wrong about your rod. But, I am wondering if your rod is too flexible when setting the hook in 17 - 45' of water. the hook may not go through tough area near the teeth. It can be more problematic (for flexible rod) for sheepshead. A sheepshead has 2-3 rows of teeth (upper lip).

Joe
              Definitely a possibility. It's not as flexible as the lighter Ugly Stik rods that have the clear flexible piece near the tip, but the reason I went with the heavy over the medium-heavy was because the MH's were too flexible. Have to test it out a little bit more and see. I may end up shortening it a bit too, which could decrease the flexibility.
              J

Comment

Working...
              X