Cooler suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cooler suggestions

Anyone have a suggestion on a cooler that will fit in the milk crate location on a yak. My Redfish 12 has just enough room for something that is milk crate size. I'd prefer one that has rod holders or can attach rod holders. I'd like something that can be used as a cooler or dry box for storage. TIA!
    Anthony

Redfish 12 Angler

Depends on your budget, RTIC insulated (yeti knockoff) just had a killer sale. I'd know your dimensions, and then wait for a deal and be ready to pull the trigger when the deal pops up.
    Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

From what you listed, you might want to take a look at engle coolers. They have models that serve as DRy boxes as well as a cooler. Also you can get them with or without rod holders. They are pretty popular with stand up paddle boarders as a rod storage and for a seat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Desert Camo- Moken 14
      Tan- Tarpon 140

Comment

^ Engel also makes quality coolers
        Attached Files
        Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

I use both coolers above, the engle has a snap shot Front lid and is easy to close the Arctic has the zipper– Hard to close- Both are very good quality!!
          Harlan

Revo 13
          Trident 13
          Cuda 14
          Necky Tandem

Comment

Originally posted by mchottie View Post
            Depends on your budget, RTIC insulated (yeti knockoff) just had a killer sale. I'd know your dimensions, and then wait for a deal and be ready to pull the trigger when the deal pops up.
            Yep, One has to get those RTIC Yeti knock offs before May 1 when RTIC has to quit selling them based on the lawsuit settlement agreement.

Comment

Originally posted by whiskerfish View Post
              Anyone have a suggestion on a cooler that will fit in the milk crate location on a yak. My Redfish 12 has just enough room for something that is milk crate size. I'd prefer one that has rod holders or can attach rod holders. I'd like something that can be used as a cooler or dry box for storage. TIA!
              I've used the Engel and Yeti. The Yeti is 20 quarts and the Engel is 30 quarts for the same size. The Engel definitely doesn't hold ice as well, but it is so much lighter and holds so much more the trade off is worth it. I've also had lots of fish that I can't get in the Yeti that will fit in the Engel

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions! I've been looking at the Engel and it seems to have pretty good reviews. Good to hear from some of you using them.

Anthony

Redfish 12 Angler

Comment

I got a cheap igloo and mounted a rod holder to it then mounted it with aluminum rods to hold it in yak if I turtle has worked great for 6 years
                  D Hawk
                  Green Malibu X-Factor stolen dream
                  Sand Malibu X-Factor The replacement

Comment

Originally posted by dhawk View Post
                    I got a cheap igloo and mounted a rod holder to it then mounted it with aluminum rods to hold it in yak if I turtle has worked great for 6 years
                    I've actually been thinking about this too...going a little more DIY (cheaper) to see how it works for me before spending more $$$...
                    Anthony

Redfish 12 Angler

Comment

anyone have the RTIC hard cooler? what do you think?
                      sigpic

Comment

Can't vouch for RTIC's hard cooler but I have one of their soft coolers and it's my favorite go too cooler. Nicely made and I love the fact it's soft and I can wedge it in somewhere.

When the time comes for me to get a hard cooler other than the igloos I have it will be an RTIC. You can search THEHULLTRUTH.com forum and I've seen threads about them over there. Seems a lot of guys like them and there are others who are Yeti or nothing.
                        1980 Something Old Town Canoe
                        2008 Native Ultimate 14.5
                        2015 Coosa HD
                        2016 Hobie Outback Limited Edition #56
                        2017 Pelican Trailblazer 1000 (38# of portaging freedom)

Comment

Agreed. I have the RTIC 40 and 20 soft coolers. Fantastic units. But I haven't found the need to buy a hard sided one yet. The 40 is a little big on the yak but the 20 fits perfectly.
                          Jackson Big Tuna
                          Jackson Cuda 14

Comment

I have the 20 hard cooler...heavier than I thought...seems to be well made...keeps Ice and things in it cold...bigger than I thought it would be...only down side is that it is like so many things nowadays...made in china
                            "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                            2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                            "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                            Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I have the RTIC 45 and it kept our drinks cold the whole week we were down at the beach last week. It can get pretty heavy by the time it's fully loaded.

Mine is also the model they were selling before the lawsuit was settled so I can't say how the new models are.

Comment

Working...
                              X