Lights for the Pro Angler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AintMisBehavin View Post
    Lights are in! Stripped down Matilda and cleared out some work space in the garage so I can do the upgrade tomorrow. Still have to figure out where I'm putting my switches on her but should be a good project!

Just another day in the sun...
    Pics, we need pictures

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I just recieved my lights in the mail as well. I will be installing mine very soon
      Jason

-2017 ivory dune pro angler 12' with micro power pole, Lowrance EliteTI7, boonedox landing gear
      -2015 olive outback with Lowrance Hook7,micro power pole, seadek kit, micro power pole
      -Orange Heritage featherlite

Comment

Originally posted by brianisoutside View Post
        Pics, we need pictures

Ran into a snag beyond my soldering skill and eyesight. I didn't like the toggle switches that came with the light kit cause I figure they are too prone to get caught on something. So, I bought the one pictured. It has a lighted ring that corresponds to the color of the lights that should be easy to see at night. It's a complicated wiring scheme, but I thought I could tackle it. The posts on the switch are just too small. Gonna retreat, regroup and return on another day when my frustration level has gone down a bit. Taped the lights on Matilda where I want them but didn't do any drilling.

Gregory
        ​Ain't Misbehavin'
        2014 Pro Angler 12
        '

Comment

Yea those are some small tabs and tightly grouped to be soldering.
          It's best to separately melt solder into the wire and the opposite mounting surface first. The penny picture looks like your trying to wrap the wire around the tab and then solder?

Comment

It's best to separately melt solder into the wire and the opposite mounting surface first. The penny picture looks like your trying to wrap the wire around the tab and then solder?

I attempted several variations. With the smaller gauge wire I soldered the wire first but it seemed really flimsy. The wire in picture is the larger gauge wire that came with the kit and I decided to see if I could attach the battery connectors first. Larger gauge won't fit through the hole so what you see is my attempt to separate the wire in half. I should have shortened it, applied solder like you described and then tried to solder to the tabs. You never think straight when you're frustrated. Oh well, tomorrow's another day!

Gregory
            ​Ain't Misbehavin'
            2014 Pro Angler 12
            '

Comment

This is why I can't stay focused. Little lady bought this for my birthday. I wonder if it will land on the yak?

Gregory
              ​Ain't Misbehavin'
              2014 Pro Angler 12
              '

Comment

Below is a slight modification to the lighting install that I would recommend and is pretty easy to do. As I'm sure you are aware by now the only thing holding these lights in place is a strip of 3M double sided tape. Now if installed correctly, and you need to follow the instructions exactly, it works pretty good. I found after repeated banging around the fronts of mine started coming loose and this was my fix. I cut a short piece of nylon strap and rounded off the corners followed by heat treating the edges. Then attached to the boat using SS screws and deck washers to finish the look. For added security you can do the same thing on the other side, but I have not found this to be necessary.

Mount.jpg

Here is a pic of mine in action. I have one switch to control the exterior lights and one for the cockpit lights. Another upgrade I would recommend is to invest in high quality switches. The provided switches work fine at first, but after repeated use in the bay or ocean they are going to fail. After the first one failed I replaced one, then after the second failed I replaced the remaining two switches. Now all three are these https://www.westmarine.com/buy/cole-...eIYaAjW98P8HAQ. They are expensive, but I have not had a problem since.

P7210011.jpg

Good luck with the rest of your install, shoot me a pm if you have questions.
                2015 Hobie Outback
                2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Thanks John! Having the information on the switches would have been helpful. The ones I ordered are supposed to be marine grade. I went ahead and ordered one from West Marine for my master switch. i can see where that retaining strap in the front will come in handy. What I love about this site is somebody is always building a better mousetrap! I may try to get some fishing in this weekend so the light mod is going on the back burner for now until I can get my current switches soldered up correctly. Thanks for the input.

Gregory
                  Gregory
                  ​Ain't Misbehavin'
                  2014 Pro Angler 12
                  '

Comment

FYI, you can find those switches cheaper if you look around a little. I don't remember what I paid or where I got them, but West Marine is over priced on everything.
                    2015 Hobie Outback
                    2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Originally posted by silasvirus82 View Post
                      FYI, you can find those switches cheaper if you look around a little. I don't remember what I paid or where I got them, but West Marine is over priced on everything.
                      Took my switches to a car audio install place. It's funny, there are very few electronics repair shops still around. Anyways, they did a great job and I should be back in business soon!
                      Gregory
                      ​Ain't Misbehavin'
                      2014 Pro Angler 12
                      '

Comment

Originally posted by AintMisBehavin View Post
                        Took my switches to a car audio install place. It's funny, there are very few electronics repair shops still around. Anyways, they did a great job and I should be back in business soon!
                        Might consider trying some plasti dip on those connectors to seal from moisture. When I removed the two that failed from my boat it was the inside that showed all the corrosion. Could have been due to water seeping from the top, but either way can't hurt. If you look at the switches I bought to replace them the entire thing is sealed with a similar material.
                        2015 Hobie Outback
                        2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

IMG_3754.jpgIMG_3759.jpg started to install the lights on my yak. I think they are too bright. Will probably kill my night vision so i plan to cut off a few lights from the strip. I plan to have the rear deck lights on a different switch as my front deck.
                          Jason

-2017 ivory dune pro angler 12' with micro power pole, Lowrance EliteTI7, boonedox landing gear
                          -2015 olive outback with Lowrance Hook7,micro power pole, seadek kit, micro power pole

Comment

Originally posted by Jaspratt View Post
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]20820[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]20821[/ATTACH] started to install the lights on my yak. I think they are too bright. Will probably kill my night vision so i plan to cut off a few lights from the strip. I plan to have the rear deck lights on a different switch as my front deck.
                            Have you thought of putting a strip of window tint on them?

Comment

Nah i havent, these led strips are nice, you just cut a few and your done. Easier than tint.IMG_3758.jpg this is how bright it was with just one strip. The previous photo i posted only has 3 leds on the strip
                              Jason

Comment

Plan on doing a complete mock install with switches to make sure everything works and then proceed with the plasti dip. I should have some left over from my rod holder project.

Gregory
                                Gregory
                                ​Ain't Misbehavin'
                                2014 Pro Angler 12
                                '

Comment

Working...
                                X