Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quick Question: When is it safe to fish without cold water gear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

https://youtu.be/J1xohI3B4Uc

Comment

Originally posted by hookmeup View Post
      Everyone needs a life jacket no matter what. So many scenarios. However I would bet on a young fit healthy man without a lifevest quickly getting back in his kayak rather than an obese man who is unfit in a lifevest trying to get back into and over stocked kayak. I have been doing this for 17 years. 2 rods and One Plano box of tackle. One paddle and a cell phone. A knife and a small emergency kit tucked away. If you can't get it done with that then you most likely are not getting it done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have the appropriate dry gear and wear a vest. My only comment is practice makes perfect. I practice flipping an empty kayak in semi cold water in full gear, in 4-6 ft of water yearly. I also practice flipping in warm water with appropriate attire for that time of year. As an old guy, I can tell you re-entry is a whole lot harder in full dry gear in semi cold (45-55 degree water) then in a t-shirt and swim trunks in 65-75 degree water. So back to the beginning, Practice makes perfect. You may never turtle, but at least you will know the routine for re-entry.
        Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
        Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

[QUOTE=jbrown;142143]Everyone needs a life jacket no matter what. So many scenarios. However I would bet on a young fit healthy man without a lifevest quickly getting back in his kayak rather than an obese man who is unfit in a lifevest trying to get back into and over stocked kayak. I have been doing this for 17 years. 2 rods and One Plano box of tackle. One paddle and a cell phone. A knife and a small emergency kit tucked away. If you can't get it done with that then you most likely are not getting it done.

You can get it done with a lot less...one rod and a bag of swimbaits...but I carry three or four rods with me completely rigged with the different lures I plan on using- fish can be finicky, so what they ate yesterday may not be what they eat today...and the only reason I kayak at all is to fish...so I carry more than is necessary every trip- but a lot less than I used to...when I first started kayak fishing I had the full monte...and the kitchen sink...I wear what is appropriate for the conditions...and I am an older kayaker- turned 71 this year...turtled once in six years...lost some gear and taught me a real lesson...the second you lose center of gravity the flip is instantaneous- there is NO warning it is going to happen- one second you are upright; the next you are underwater...and I am a very good swimmer- love the water- back in the day I was scuba qualified...so being under water still inside my Outback was not a panic attack for me- I untangled myself from the rods and lines and swam to the surface- I did not inflate my PFD, because I did not need it inflated- I was very pissed I had made such a basic neophyte mistake of lunging and leaning over trying to grab a redfish barely hooked- a really stupid mistake...but we all do really stupid things that gets us in trouble- no matter how old- no matter how much experience...all great information on here- but humans rarely learn from others...
          Last edited by ronaultmtd; 04-09-2017, 07:34 AM.
          "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
          2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
          "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
          Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Working...
          X