Fly Fishing Section

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fly Fishing Section

I'm not sure how to go about this, but was wondering if the Administrator / Moderator / Owner of this site would consider creating a forum section for Fly Fishing?

I really enjoyed my first year of extensive fly fishing action and was thinking that a fly fishing section might be helpful for users to share advice, trip reports, and fly patterns.

Thank you,

Tom

I like the idea of it.

eyedaddy

Comment

Originally posted by DanMarino View Post
      I'm not sure how to go about this, but was wondering if the Administrator / Moderator / Owner of this site would consider creating a forum section for Fly Fishing?

I really enjoyed my first year of extensive fly fishing action and was thinking that a fly fishing section might be helpful for users to share advice, trip reports, and fly patterns.

Thank you,

Tom
      I also think that this would be a good idea.

There are nuances to flyfishing from a kayak that make it different than flyfishing on foot. I devoted a chapter to the topic in my book and I also wrote an article for the Chesapeake Kayak Anglers about it. You can see the article here:

http://www.chesapeakebaykayakanglers...y-fishing.html

I'm sure many questions arise during the year from those who flyfish from their kayaks or from those want to get started.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
        I also think that this would be a good idea.

There are nuances to flyfishing from a kayak that make it different than flyfishing on foot. I devoted a chapter to the topic in my book and I also wrote an article for the Chesapeake Kayak Anglers about it. You can see the article here:

http://www.chesapeakebaykayakanglers...y-fishing.html

I'm sure many questions arise during the year from those who flyfish from their kayaks or from those want to get started.
        You aren't kidding about the nuances.

When on foot, and especially when wading, it isn't necessary to pay any attention to your slack line. Fly fishing on a kayak is a completely different story. A few weeks ago I noticed that I now have a habit of coiling the slack line in my off hand to prevent tangling on the deck. That's the first thing that comes to mind.

Fly fishing from a kayak is very technical, in my opinion, and also very rewarding. A sub-forum specifically for fly fishing probably won't be the busiest section on the website, but it would definitely shine from time to time.
        I need a good paddling

Motorized 2014 Hobie Pro Angler 12
        Garmin Echomap 93sv
        RIP, favorite St. Croix Rod

Comment

Originally posted by Huntrava View Post
          When on foot, and especially when wading, it isn't necessary to pay any attention to your slack line. Fly fishing on a kayak is a completely different story. A few weeks ago I noticed that I now have a habit of coiling the slack line in my off hand to prevent tangling on the deck. That's the first thing that comes to mind.
          Rule number one: Keep your deck clear so you can drop your line onto it without snagging tools or other tackle items.

Rule number two: Toss your floating line over the side with your stripping hand as long as your drift doesn't float your kayak over the line.
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Comment

It's funny this came up, I was just thinking about posting a few questions about kayak fly fishing on Monday. I haven't fly fished in 2 to 3 years. Once I started kayak fishing it was all about exploring new waterways. Now I'd like to get back into bringing back out the fly gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Desert Camo- Moken 14
            Tan- Tarpon 140

Comment

Stripping basket!

I honestly had to give up trying to fly fish from the canoe, the casting got too difficult sitting down, and my balance isn't good enough to stand and cast. I can hardly do it from shore or wading anymore. Bum shoulder…….
              40+ years of using the long stick took it's toll.
              But I would be willing in participating in a Fly Fishing Section.

Comment

Not to jack the thread but, for you all that chase striper on the fly...should I step up to a 10wt? I have a 8wt set up but need a reel for my 10wt rod. Also to make casting easier in a kayak do you step up one wt over the rod i.e. 8wt rod throw 9wt line?

Desert Camo- Moken 14
                Tan- Tarpon 140

Comment

10 wt. for the big Spring fish up on the flats, and where you are throwing the proverbial "half a chicken" wind resistant 6 inch Lefty Deceiver or Half and Half.
                  8 or 9 wt. for schoolies in open water where there is no structure to have to pull the fish away from.

Over lining is fine since you are making shorter casts. It will turn your lure over better.
                  Or you could use something like the Wulff Triangle taper line, a heavy tapered head, with a long running line. You may have to adjust and slow down your casting motion.
                  You aren't cranking up those 100 foot casts with a 10 wt. ( unless you are Joe Flacco).

Comment

I've never fished the flats. Having seen the photos of stripers caught there, I can see where a 10 wt. would come in handy.

For stripers in my normal haunts in the Severn, Whitehall Bay and Goodhands I often carry two fly rods. I use an 8 wt. with intermediate or weight forward floating line for streamers, and a 9 weight with weight forward floating line to cast wind-resistant poppers. Both are 9 feet.

On my trips to Tampa, I use the guide's 8 wt. with floating line to catch specks and ladyfish and other species. The 8 wt. has easily handled my catches there, including ladyfish well over 20 inches and some odd species of catfish.

Note that On the fly (Harry) is very adept at using sinking line. The newer sinking lines are easier to cast than they used to be but I still prefer floating and intermediate lines.

I've never tried over-lining or under-lining a rod. My 8 and 9 wts. handle schoolie stripers with ease as well as legal fish 20 to 24 inches. I've never caught a striper larger than that on the fly in my kayak but I'm sure those rods would subdue larger stripers if I got so lucky. The leverage and bend of a 9 foot rod would give me the advantage.

I've caught schoolies with 4 and 5 wt. rods while fly fishing for white perch. The perch and especially a schoolie will give you a good tussle on those light rods.

To make casting easier while seated in a kayak consider the length of the rod rather than line weight -- assuming you are casting flies appropriate to the weight of your line. The longer the rod the better in my opinion. A longer rod helps me to keep my backcast high while seated close to the water.

As to casting length, a great benefit offered by kayaks is that they allow us to get close to the fish. You don't need to cast a fly line far to catch the typical fish we chase locally in our kayaks-- stripers, white perch, specks. I rarely throw more than 50 feet. That's very easy to do while seated.

I do hope that more Snaggedliners try fly fishing. Harry and I need some competition at the September CBKA tournament in the fly division. We'd gladly turn over our string of titles to newcomers.
                    Mark
                    Pasadena, MD

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                      I've never fished the flats. Having seen the photos of stripers caught there, I can see where a 10 wt. would come in handy.

For stripers in my normal haunts in the Severn, Whitehall Bay and Goodhands I often carry two fly rods. I use an 8 wt. with intermediate or weight forward floating line for streamers, and a 9 weight with weight forward floating line to cast wind-resistant poppers. Both are 9 feet.

On my trips to Tampa, I use the guide's 8 wt. with floating line to catch specks and ladyfish and other species. The 8 wt. has easily handled my catches there, including ladyfish well over 20 inches and some odd species of catfish.

Note that On the fly (Harry) is very adept at using sinking line. The newer sinking lines are easier to cast than they used to be but I still prefer floating and intermediate lines.

I've never tried over-lining or under-lining a rod. My 8 and 9 wts. handle schoolie stripers with ease as well as legal fish 20 to 24 inches. I've never caught a striper larger than that on the fly in my kayak but I'm sure those rods would subdue larger stripers if I got so lucky. The leverage and bend of a 9 foot rod would give me the advantage.

I've caught schoolies with 4 and 5 wt. rods while fly fishing for white perch. The perch and especially a schoolie will give you a good tussle on those light rods.

To make casting easier while seated in a kayak consider the length of the rod rather than line weight -- assuming you are casting flies appropriate to the weight of your line. The longer the rod the better in my opinion. A longer rod helps me to keep my backcast high while seated close to the water.

As to casting length, a great benefit offered by kayaks is that they allow us to get close to the fish. You don't need to cast a fly line far to catch the typical fish we chase locally in our kayaks-- stripers, white perch, specks. I rarely throw more than 50 feet. That's very easy to do while seated.

I do hope that more Snaggedliners try fly fishing. Harry and I need some competition at the September CBKA tournament in the fly division. We'd gladly turn over our string of titles to newcomers.
                      I just want to beat that famous crab catch on a fly from a few years ago at the tournament! Haha. This has got me pretty excited to fly fish again. Maybe it will jump start my fly tying as well. Tight lines y'all!

Desert Camo- Moken 14
                      Tan- Tarpon 140

Comment

I'm glad a few people are interested here. I plan to begin trying to learn to tie my own flies this winter.

Comment

I have been fly fishing and fly tying now for 10 years. Bought my first 2 years ago and have been fly fishing from a kayak since. I would love to see a fly fishing section on the forum

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DanMarino View Post
                            I'm glad a few people are interested here. I plan to begin trying to learn to tie my own flies this winter.
                            I will tell you this, it's VERY rewarding catching a fish on something you made. Also fooling around with different fly tying methods and making your own style of fly and seeing how it reacts in the water....it's a great way to pass time during the winter months.

Desert Camo- Moken 14
                            Tan- Tarpon 140

Comment

So any chance we can get a Fly Fishing section on this great website?

Comment

Working...
                              X