No announcement yet.

A Question, If You Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've never had a problem cleaning a Dagger or Feel Free plastic kayak, a simple spray with a hose cleans it off....but if someone wants to try it out i'll read a review. Just not going to trust a hand picked review, stuck on a manufacturers website. With that, in 15 years of kayaking, I've never heard of anyone putting coating or lubricants on the bottom of a kayak to keep it clean or increase its speed, just my 10 cents.

Comment

A small or even a moderate percentage increase in speed to a vessel that rarely travels more than 3 mph will hardly be noticed.

However, shedding dirt would be a nice benefit.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Thanks for all the response. It seems that Kayaks are not meant to be "slicked up" with applicants. What I really was concerned about are the numerous scrapes that have occurred over time. Did a little research and found that careful use of a heat gun will help smooth out the groves. So I gave it a try and yes, if you carefully move the gun over the area, it will slowly melt and fill in the area. It doesn't disappear 100%, but is considerably better. The overall roughness has disappeared. I guess the best solution is not scrap the bottom on rock, etc, but as mentioned above, I am pretty rough on my Kayaks.
        John Rentch
        Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
        Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

John I guess the only thing to put on your yak to increase its speed is a motor��

Comment

John a putty knife heated and wiped over a scratch can help as well, and though I've not tired it, a bread bag when wiped over a deep scratch is supposed to work.
            Red 2015 Hobie Outback
            Olive 2015 PA 14

Comment

I didn't know that about heat guns or a hot putty knife. Good info.

I try my best to avoid scratches. I make soft entries and soft landings and rarely drag my boats over land. But, hull scratches are inevitable.

Sometimes I get black streaks on the bottoms of my yaks. They wash off with a little scrubbing. But I don't know where they come from.
              Mark
              Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
              Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
              Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Since nobody has mentioned it, I use 303 Aerospace Protectant on my kayaks once or twice a year to preserve the plastic and it leaves a hard shinny surface. One spray bottle usually last me a 3-4 years. I do not notice any performance gains, but it does making cleaning a little easier. I'm guessing the chemical make-up is similar to Armor All, but it's specific use is for marine purposes and does not leave a greasy surface.
                2015 Hobie Outback
                2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Originally posted by silasvirus82 View Post
                  Since nobody has mentioned it, I use 303 Aerospace Protectant on my kayaks once or twice a year to preserve the plastic and it leaves a hard shinny surface. One spray bottle usually last me a 3-4 years. I do not notice any performance gains, but it does making cleaning a little easier. I'm guessing the chemical make-up is similar to Armor All, but it's specific use is for marine purposes and does not leave a greasy surface.
                  Great UV protectant

Comment

Originally posted by On the fly View Post
                    Great UV protectant
                    Thanks Harry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    John Rentch
                    Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
                    Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Originally posted by J. Rentch View Post
                      A quick question. Does anyone put any kind of lubricant on you kayak bottom to help with its movement through the water?
                      I put lubricant on board my kayak every time I head to the ruffle bar.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                      -Jimbo-

Berkley Powerpro - 100 yrd spool - 30#
                      Berkley Powerpro - 100 yrd spool - 20#
                      Fishbites - Saltwater version

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo View Post
                        I put lubricant on board my kayak every time I head to the ruffle bar.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                        Notice any gains in efficiency? [emoji23]
                        2015 Hobie Outback
                        2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Originally posted by silasvirus82 View Post
                          Notice any gains in efficiency? [emoji23]
                          I definitely get there faster when I do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          -Jimbo-

Berkley Powerpro - 100 yrd spool - 30#
                          Berkley Powerpro - 100 yrd spool - 20#
                          Fishbites - Saltwater version

Comment

yak repair w/tarp

Originally posted by dasher View Post
                            John a putty knife heated and wiped over a scratch can help as well, and though I've not tired it, a bread bag when wiped over a deep scratch is supposed to work.
                            I have used a piece of tarp melted by an almost red hot putty knife to fill in scratches in my kayak thanks to a youtube video on the subject and this fix works well, and I notice that the tarp material repels water better than the kayak plastic so its a two for one deal... the melted tarp plastic material resists scratches better than the kayak plastic. I wish here was an easy way to melt a tarp over the whole bottom of the kayak.
                            IMG_20170712_101418.jpg

Comment

Working...
                            X