Old Dogs can learn “new tricks”

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
    ...the FG knot seems better, but mono is so much more dependable and cheaper
    I mainly use an FG with fluoro. The only time Ive had issues is when I'm being too impatient to tie it properly, which is my fault. I've learned that if I'm too lazy tie it right, I'll just use a double uni. When an FG is tied properly, the braid or fluoro will give before the knot (given similar test lines). To be honest, I've never had one break at the knot. The biggest issue I had with the knot was the learning curve. Not too bad but man those first few times tying it are a major PITA.

While I appreciate all the tech involved in fishing and the materials science behind knot variations, we do overthink it all. People have been catching fish with rod and line for 4000 years. From vines, to braided horse hair, to braided silk, to your dacrons, spectras, etc. They all caught fish. I try to make a point of taking a primitive fishing trip with my kid each year. Bamboo poles, no reels and a few feet of mono from that random spool in the back of your tackle box that you don't remember buying, its always just been there for as long as you can remember. Its always a good time.
    "Fish on a Dish" - 2017 Jackson Big Tuna
    Jackson Cuda 12

Comment

+1 on FG, bomb proof when tied properly. Tough to tie in the kayak though.
      Mike
      Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Originally posted by Big Mike View Post
        +1 on FG, bomb proof when tied properly. Tough to tie in the kayak though.
        I stumbled upon a way. I've been meaning to make a video and upload it, but keep getting sidetracked. The way I do it, unless the conditions are so rough that you are worried about being flipped by a rogue wave, you can tie it. Wind isn't an issue. I'll see what I can put together. No promises about video quality.
        "Fish on a Dish" - 2017 Jackson Big Tuna
        Jackson Cuda 12

Comment

Originally posted by nhunter344 View Post
          I stumbled upon a way. I've been meaning to make a video and upload it, but keep getting sidetracked. The way I do it, unless the conditions are so rough that you are worried about being flipped by a rogue wave, you can tie it. Wind isn't an issue. I'll see what I can put together. No promises about video quality.
          Looking forward to it

2015 Viking Profish Reload

Comment

Salt Strong did a test...on You Tube...tested the abrasion resistance of 20# Ande Vs. Florocarbon...mono won everytime...six tests...six wins for Ande...so my decision to go with cheap mono is now backed by fact...
            "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
            2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
            "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
            Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Working...
            X