Gas Trolling Motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas Trolling Motor

Okay so this from Kayak Buddys with any 2 or 4 stroke weed waker type motor up to 70cc and you have a gas trolling motor that you can put around in all day long.
    2017 Hobie PA14

Kind of defeats the entire purpose of kayak Fishing. Who wants to listen to a weed wacker motor all day plus sucking in exhaust. I'll continue to enjoy the quiet. Even the electric motors have an irritating hum that takes away from the experience.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

If you take the exhaust and pipe it into the water that would quiet it down. Also the whole thing only weights 18-22 Lbs. Not like a trolling motor setup which could be between 50-75 Lbs. So let's look at it this way, you want to troll for some rock, you need to move along at about 3 mph. That's a lot of paddling. With this it's just drop and go. Another thing to think of, drop in a river,then run up stream and float down. OR drop in the Severn at JG and run up stream or down to the bay. I'm just tossing this out there.
      With that said, I'm saving up for a Wilderness Radar 135 with pedal drive.
      2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

Sure why not? Guys are running electric motors and some are running gas motors. A few things to consider are 1) counter weight to the motor (balance the boat), 2) you'll need a rudder, 3) if you flip righting the yak in deep water might not be possible. I'm sure there are other issues but guys definitely do it.

Comment

Hookmeup, if you put the motor on the back you can use foot controls to turn it. Will also handle the "balance" and rudder issues. Plus it would be behind you so less noise. OR you could put it on a mount next to you and turn it from there. Im not promoting anyone's product or site but this guy has it figured out and he sells them, http://www.kayakbuddys.com/small%20leg.html
          2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

I Have the V2 Torqeedo- It does make an irritating HUM. I use it to get to a distant locations and turn it off and use the mirage drive. I love the quiet of the kayak and gas motors and their fumes and noise, make me get away as far as I can from them on every occasion I am out.
            I would not want to fish with anyone using a gas motor. Bye-Bye fish.

Yak67
            2017 Hobie PA-12 Camp
            2016 Hobie Outback LE #217

Comment

Steve. Try it and let us know. Personally I'm with yak67 as far as motor noise having a negative impact on fishing.

Comment

I'm not spending $200 plus shipping to install this on my yak and then not have anybody fish with me. I mean what if I showed up to a meet and greet and was told that no one would fish with me. I would be crushed, destroyed,even devastated!! Then I would have to join a support group for disenfranchised gas powered yak owners. Where we would have to sit around and talk about the other mean yak owners and how they would not fish with us. We would then talk about our "feelings" and how to cope with the situation next time when the mean pedal/paddle kayaks said hurtful words. Then there's the cost of therapy. Next thing you know gangs are forming and then there's turf wars and kayak bombing and kayak Drive-bys. And all because I purchased a gas trolling motor. No thank you!!
                But seriously I do not see how a gas powered yak would scare away the fish. I mean look at the charter boats for rockfish. Also I said that you could use it to go up river and float back down. Or float down and power back up. They say that at 1/2 to 2/3 throttle pushes you along at 3mph.
                Last edited by Steve6902; 02-01-2017, 02:48 PM.
                2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

I am going to need a lot of therapy and medication. I pulled the trigger on a microskiff with a 6 HP outboard that I car top launch. I hope they still let me fish in the bay��

Comment

Originally posted by dirtyjake237 View Post
                    I am going to need a lot of therapy and medication. I pulled the trigger on a microskiff with a 6 HP outboard that I car top launch. I hope they still let me fish in the bay��
                    You can hang out with me if they don't. I think that I am quickly becoming the black sheep of the family. Which microskiff did you get??
                    2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

It's called a solo skiff, the cheaper slightly heavier rotomolded plastic version not the fiberglass gel coat model. It's about the same dimensions and weight as a Hobie PA, but with the ability to get up on plane and cruise at 15 to 20 knots. I really like not having a trailer it really grants more access to different bodies of water, like a kayak. Having a motor gives me the ability to cover 10 miles in just over 30 minutes and spend more time fishing. I wouldn't say it's the best of a boat and a kayak, I will say that is suits most of my style of fishing.

Comment

Do you have a link
                        2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

Originally posted by Steve6902 View Post
                          Do you have a link
                          Sure https://www.soloskiff.com/
                          The roto molded version is about $1900 and you can get a motor of your liking. Even new motors are usually about $1000 so the total cost is about $3k. In MD anything under 7 HP is a no fee boat registration, so you any have to pay for the sticker and pay your tax.

Comment

Working...
                          X