Tackle Tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tackle Tips

How about a thread for random tackle tips that don't normally get covered? Ask a question and give a random tip if you can. For starters, there are two questions I haven't been able to find satisfactory answers on.

1. The best way to get that %&$#* overpaint out of the eyes on jigheads. Nothing sucks more than getting on some fish, losing your jighead and then realize your going to be futzing around digging the paint out of the eye while the fish find elsewhere to go.
    2. The best way to find replacement hooks when swapping out trebles for single hooks on lures for those of us that don't have a lot of experimentation time. (Weight, size?)

My tip would be to zip tie pieces of pool noodle somewhere on your yak where can store frequently used lures without having to mess with a tackle box. I would recommend putting it in plain sight. Reaching back and grabbing a handful of hooks is never pleasant!

full-75348-10769-noodle_bait_holder.jpg
    "Fish on a Dish" - 2017 Jackson Big Tuna
    Jackson Cuda 12

I like your idea to use foam to hold lures. If I take a lure off, I don't put it back in my Plano tackle box. I toss it on the deck of my kayak which of course could cause problems if I'm not careful. When I get home I rinse it with fresh water and let it dry before returning it to its box. Sticking it in foam would be wiser.

Regarding paint in jig-eyes, my line clippers have a small pick to jab through the paint. I never use it, though. I make my own jigs and before they go in my tackle box I pierce them with any old hook I find lying on my tying table.

For in-line hooks, you can find several conversion charts on-line. Here's one:

Capture Hook.jpg

The above chart came from this article:

https://www.thefisherman.com/index.c...60&ParentCat=5
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

For the in-line hooks, BPS does not have them in the traditional hook section/aisle, they are in the next aisle over with the trebles.

My jigs have holographic eyes applied over the paint, not sure your I have an answer for the question so i'l defer to Mark above.
      Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

There's a tool to clean the paint from jig-eyes:

http://www.anglersworkshop.com/Tools...Jig-Eye-Buster

I don't have one. But if I did, it's not something I would carry on my kayak. I'd use it before I placed the jigs into my tackle box.

Again, any sturdy, sharp object with a small diameter will pierce the paint.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
          There's a tool to clean the paint from jig-eyes:

http://www.anglersworkshop.com/Tools...Jig-Eye-Buster

I don't have one. But if I did, it's not something I would carry on my kayak. I'd use it before I placed the jigs into my tackle box.

Again, any sturdy, sharp object with a small diameter will pierce the paint.
          I have the tool that Mark shows above. Although I carry it in my tackle tray, I typically use it at home to open the eyes on a batch of jigheads before adding them to my working tackle tray. On the water, I would typically take a second jighead and use it's hook to open the eye on the new lure. Different types of paint can be easy or hard to knock out from the eyes. The tool listed above does not work when the paint is very hard (the thin prong on the tool bends).
          John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I've used the following to pierce jig head eyes:

Hooks -- large ones like 2/0.

Finishing nails/brads. Spin it in your fingers like a drill.

My bodkin -- a fly tying tool. Basically a needle with a handle.

If the paint is really hard, pierce one side and then pierce the other side until you break through.

I do this at home, not on the water, of course.
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Comment

I have a magnet on my Hobie that I use to hold my hooks and lures when I'm swapping out rigs.
              2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

Working...
              X