No announcement yet.

Icast 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think its similar to the automotive market, similar to how Subaru & Toyota teamed up and we (in the USA) got the Subaru BR-Z, and the Toyota FT-86. Basically the identical car, minus some trim/wheels/marketing.
    Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

I wonder if the pedal/motor drive works for all 3 brands? Really hoping there will be some nice spinning reels at icast this year, would love to see some more "budget" offerings like the BG and all, with quality internals. Would also really like to see a sub $500 American made spinner that's at least modern, unlike the old (yet reliable) design of the penn 704/706z reels.

Comment

Originally posted by yakscientist View Post
        I wonder if the pedal/motor drive works for all 3 brands? Really hoping there will be some nice spinning reels at icast this year, would love to see some more "budget" offerings like the BG and all, with quality internals. Would also really like to see a sub $500 American made spinner that's at least modern, unlike the old (yet reliable) design of the penn 704/706z reels.
        Major brands will likely never produce quality working mans equipment again. They either want your money over time forcing you to buy replacements or they charge you heavy upfront for quality gear.
        Last edited by silasvirus82; 07-17-2017, 12:59 PM.
        2015 Hobie Outback
        2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Originally posted by silasvirus82 View Post
          Major brands will likely never produce quality working mans equipment again. They either want your money over time forcing you to by replacements or they charge you heavy upfront for quality gear.
          That's true...but reading alan hawk's newer reviews, like of the shimano spheros, the daiwa bg, the lethal 100, cabo 120, etc., he seems to think the "budget" to "entry price" reel segment is moving in the right direction. he says we are currently living in the "golden age of spinners" and from what I've read on his reviews, I tend to agree. But yeah, I may be asking too much for a USA made "entry price" reel, but a man can dream. It's a shame Penn/Shakespeare/etc were all bought out by pure fishing and their even larger parent company. At least Shimano, Okuma, and Daiwa are all still their own separate entities.

Comment

So bote won both best in show and new boat. Pretty neat design.
            Here is a link to there page for more info
            https://www.boteboard.com/rover/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Desert Camo- Moken 14
            Tan- Tarpon 140

Comment

Interesting, but it doesn't look very different from the solo skiff.
              Kevin

2013 Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

It also comes at $3499 and with out a motor. You can get a Hobie PA or even the new Titan for that price.
                2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

Originally posted by Crotalus View Post
                  Interesting, but it doesn't look very different from the solo skiff.
                  I was thinking the exact same thing. It weighs less than the solo skiff but is literally twice the price. All the stuff you see in the picture with the exception of the motor mount is optional. Neat but actually makes the solo skiff look practical when taking price into account.
                  1980 Something Old Town Canoe
                  2008 Native Ultimate 14.5
                  2015 Coosa HD
                  2016 Hobie Outback Limited Edition #56
                  2017 Pelican Trailblazer 1000 (38# of portaging freedom)

Comment

Yeah to me it's completely pointless. People will probably buy it who have money to burn, or worse, people who don't but think they do. Whatever floats your over priced plastic bote.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

What has kayaking evolved too?
                      Are cabins next?
                      One can attribute this to what people are asking their kayaks to do. When you think about it, we are fishing places and loading them with features that original sit insides were never asked to do.

Still something to be said about light and simple (says the man who's Kayaks are Old Town Canoes).

Comment

Icast 2017

Need to keep in mind these are options, not fundamental changes of all kayaks. I guarantee there are double the options of basic inexpensive kayaks than there were 15 years ago. In addition to that we now have dozens of other options ranging from long and narrow to barges. All these new innovations are not a bad thing, there is just only so much you can improve to a basic kayak. These companies are trying to differentiate themselves, not all build slight variations of the same thing. I think all these boats are pretty neat in different ways, but maybe nothing I'd ever buy. The great thing is that we are all different and have different ideas of what is the perfect boat, and with so much stuff out there now we can likely find it.
                        2015 Hobie Outback
                        2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Originally posted by bignose View Post
                          What has kayaking evolved too?
                          Are cabins next?
                          One can attribute this to what people are asking their kayaks to do. When you think about it, we are fishing places and loading them with features that original sit insides were never asked to do.

Still something to be said about light and simple (says the man who's Kayaks are Old Town Canoes).
                          I always say that there are two kinds of people who fish out of a kayak...kayakers who fish and fishermen who use a kayak...however, in this discussion, small skiffs that have gasoline motors; peddle boats that you can convert to power...are something else...maybe we put in a catagory called a hybrid...mostly boat but small enough to be considered kayaking...
                          "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                          2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                          "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                          Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by Steve6902 View Post
                            It also comes at $3499 and with out a motor. You can get a Hobie PA or even the new Titan for that price.
                            Does that price include the motor? If not, there is absolutely no justification for the price.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
                            Kevin

2013 Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

The marketplace is the great equalizer.

Obviously, the makers believe there is a demand.

Kayak anglers themselves will determine if these "hyper-yaks" succeed.
                              Mark
                              Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                              Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                              Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

The Bote Rover is pretty cool. I'm too cheap to ever buy one of those things. Neat ideas there. It seems like a jacked up paddle board to me.

Comment

Working...
                                X