Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silly feet sun protection question

Hi all,
    I normally where a light sun blocking long sleeve shirt and similar long pants on my trips. But I don't know what to do with my feet. I've been wearing sandals and I of course have a year round tan line around them. When it's cold I have my neoprene boots, but what do you guys wear in the summer to protect your feet from the sun? Sunscreen just doesn't work for me in a sit on top.

Thanks.

Why doesn't sunscreen work? I use a waterproof spray on sunscreen and it works fine for me. Just gotta remember to reapply if youre gonna be floating for a while
    Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

Originally posted by Romo View Post
      Why doesn't sunscreen work? I use a waterproof spray on sunscreen and it works fine for me. Just gotta remember to reapply if youre gonna be floating for a while
      +1 on the waterproof spray on sunscreen

In the event that I leave the sunscreen in the Jeep or I just fear I'm getting over-exposed I just drape my slime towel over one and my cooling towel over the other. Whatever it takes.
      2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
      Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Don't spray it while in the yak though. I don't remember what brand it was, but one of the sprays misted over onto my fishfinder screen and ruined it. Walmart gave me a new one anyway, but I learned that lesson the hard way.

Comment

Thanks. I use high water sports SPF sunscreen and either I don't reply it often enough or it just doesn't seem to work well for me. Perhaps the spray on would be easier and help me remember to do it more frequently. I'll just dangle my toes over the side while I spray and see if the Bull Sharks at SPSP take note The towel might work, but I'd probably need two since there's a bulkhead between my feet. Doesn't sound like there is magic SPF socks out there that everyone knows about but me, but then again if I'm every barefoot around others my sandal marks just might be the way to tell us kayakers from others.

Comment

I always refused to take the time to use rub on sunscreen so I would always get burned. One day I just decided to buy the spray on stuff and it takes about 10 seconds to do your whole body. Plus as an added bonus if you keep it in the cooler on some ice it comes out chilly and refreshing!
            Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

Originally posted by azmdted View Post
              Doesn't sound like there is magic SPF socks out there that everyone knows about but me, but then again if I'm every barefoot around others my sandal marks just might be the way to tell us kayakers from others.
              A quick goole search turned up these. If sure there are plenty of other brands too.

http://www.swimoutlet.com/sand-socks/

2015 Viking Profish Reload

Comment

I just wear the canvas Crocs.
                Forgot the a couple weeks ago and the tops of my feet got fried.
                To many hooks near my feet to even think about going barefoot.
                2013 PRO ANGLER 12
                2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Originally posted by CAGE RATTLER View Post
                  I just wear the canvas Crocs.
                  Forgot the a couple weeks ago and the tops of my feet got fried.
                  To many hooks near my feet to even think about going barefoot.
                  I love those, I wear these exact ones right here: http://www.crocs.com/crocs-mens-sant...d=canvas-shoes

Comment

Originally posted by Frogsauce View Post
                    I love those, I wear these exact ones right here: http://www.crocs.com/crocs-mens-sant...d=canvas-shoes
                    yup same ones I have. I'm about due for a new pair soon. They are getting a little rank and stained pretty good.
                    2013 PRO ANGLER 12
                    2013 Cuda 12

Comment

How are those canvas crocs? I thought about getting some the last couple times I was Bass Pro. I usually wear the regular crocs and my feet do definitely some sun. One good thing about them is they float and are easy to retrieve if you turtle.

Maybe somebody makes socks that are like buff material for sun protection that you can put on while wearing sandals?

Comment

The canvas ones are the only crocs ive owned. went to buy the regular ones and when I saw the canvas (didn't even know they made them) I was sold. I always thought the regular ones were kinda goofy looking but heard they were very comfortable. A couple guys at work even wear them while working...lol.

The sole on the canvas ones are the same rubber material so they float as well.

I actually bought mine to wear as casual shoes but they wound up becoming my kayaking shoes. Mine are stained pretty good now (darker) and put them in the washer yesterday. They smell better now but still stained...lol.
                        2013 PRO ANGLER 12
                        2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Soak them in white vinegar. The color may not come back but the smell and dirt will be gone.

I love these shoes, I've had them for about a year now and they rock for wet water. Obviously not for the winter months, but very hardy and maintain their shape.

Comment

The regular crocs do look a little ridiculous, but I don't care. They are very comfortable, lightweight, your feet dry right away after launching, and they float. I also have chaco sandals, but crocs are more comfortable and give a little protection from sun. I was worried that the canvas ones would not drain and make your feet soggy. Did not want to try them until I heard some reviews. They definitely look a lot better than my big old white crocs...sort of makes me feel like I am wearing clown shoes or something.

I also use aerosol spray on sunscreen and it works well. The clear type, like coppertone in the blue can. Some of the spray stuff is too sticky...I have to spray my head when not wearing a hat and some of the stuff feels nasty in my hair, plus my legs and arms are a little more hairy than average I guess. Some brands are thick and goopy and some actually spray out looking like regular creamy sunscreen. I also noticed that most spray on sunscreens require reapplication after only a few hours. I think some newer ones are rated up to 5 or 6 hours.

Comment

Working...
                            X