conowingo creek 7-28 & 7-30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• conowingo creek 7-28 & 7-30

on monday i got my kayak wet for the first time on the Susquehanna. launched from conowingo creek. was on the water at about 6:30. Caught a decent 2 pound largemouth early on a spinnerbait by the rail bridge. after that caught a dink on a craw. the bite slowed down while the wind picked up and being an inexperienced kayaker thought i should pack it up. on my last couple casts of the day i caught my personal best fish. not sure on the weight though since i left my scale in my car lol. overall had a nice three hour trip and a fun first experience. photo.jpg

went out today from about 3-8. was an extremely calm day and decided to try my luck on the main river. my friend and i both had multiple bites but just couldn't seem to get any fish in the boat. it was his first time out and we both had a nice time. another beautiful day on the river.

if anyone has any tips on the river above the dam it would be much appreciated.. mostly targeting large and smallmouth. also if anyone knows of any free launch locations underneath the dam that would be more appreciated lol.

Here is a link for some launches above the dam:

http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...onowingo+recon

Below the dam, closest to the dam itself is "Fisherman's Park". It's just inside the parking lot and I highly recommend getting a few more trips under your belt before attempting this launch....Just because you are so close to the dam itself.

Next launch down is Rock Run Mill, it's where Deer creek enters the Susquehanna. Not the most friendly kayak launch due to the terrain you have trek through, but most guys have no problem.

Lapidum is farther south and is a boat launch. Plenty of parking and $2 for kayaks to launch...there is a courtesy box at the entrance of the parkinging lot.

Jean Roberts is the next launch down, another boat launch just under the RR bridge in Havre de grace. The launch is free and freindly.

Finally the last launch is Tydings Marina Park. Huge boat launch on the South eastern tip of Havre de Grace. It dumps you right on the Susky Flats. Most of these sites are on the DNR Boat launch website. Lapidum, Jean Roberts, and Tydings are your best bet before you head more north on the river where water levels and dam releases play a more significant role in water conditions. I have been dying to fish above the dam, but I would be more interested in Flathead catfish and crappie.

Conowingo Generation gate hotline:
    1-888-457-4076

Conowingo Spill gate hotline:
    1-888-457-2525

Also a few websites offer water levels near the dam but do not know them off hand. Hope this helps! Did you have any problems not feeling safe at Conowingo Creek? The last time I was there for a recon, it looked like a Kid Rock convention and did not stray too far from my vehicle. Also trolling the website I read of a few vehicle break ins, but this was in the past.
    Last edited by sparky1423; 07-31-2014, 05:40 AM.
    2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
    2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
    2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Originally posted by sparky1423 View Post
      Here is a link for some launches above the dam:

http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...onowingo+recon

Below the dam, closest to the dam itself is "Fisherman's Park". It's just inside the parking lot and I highly recommend getting a few more trips under your belt before attempting this launch....Just because you are so close to the dam itself.

Next launch down is Rock Run Mill, it's where Deer creek enters the Susquehanna. Not the most friendly kayak launch due to the terrain you have trek through, but most guys have no problem.

Lapidum is farther south and is a boat launch. Plenty of parking and $2 for kayaks to launch...there is a courtesy box at the entrance of the parkinging lot.

Jean Roberts is the next launch down, another boat launch just under the RR bridge in Havre de grace. The launch is free and freindly.

Finally the last launch is Tydings Marina Park. Huge boat launch on the South eastern tip of Havre de Grace. It dumps you right on the Susky Flats. Most of these sites are on the DNR Boat launch website. Lapidum, Jean Roberts, and Tydings are your best bet before you head more north on the river where water levels and dam releases play a more significant role in water conditions. I have been dying to fish above the dam, but I would be more interested in Flathead catfish and crappie.

Conowingo Generation gate hotline:
      1-888-457-4076

Conowingo Spill gate hotline:
      1-888-457-2525

Also a few websites offer water levels near the dam but do not know them off hand. Hope this helps! Did you have any problems not feeling safe at Conowingo Creek? The last time I was there for a recon, it looked like a Kid Rock convention and did not stray too far from my vehicle. Also trolling the website I read of a few vehicle break ins, but this was in the past.
      thanks for all of the excellent tipsi really appreciate it. when I arrived there no cars we're around and it was quiet. completely different story when my friend and I we're loading up our boats. there was a nice man with kids asking about our fish but in the background someone was having a party in the lot and very loud country music was playing. while we we're loading up, practically every car that went by talked to us and they seemed nice enough. definitely understand what you mean about the kid rock concert though lol. thanks again

Comment

I mainly launch in Fishermans park, directly below the dam. You just gotta watch the water release schedule to make sure when to go. I only go out when they are running 1 small unit. I target Rockfish early(will also pick up large and smallmouth) and switch to getting pulled around by channel cats after the rockfish bite turns off. Let me know if you would like to go out sometime. I went yesterday, and think I will be out on Saturday morning as well!

Comment

Tptman,
          I'm fairly new to this website and was hoping you could provide some information for me. Specifically, I am planning on fishing the Susqy tomorrow ~8:00 a.m. launching from Lapidum. This is my first launch out of Lapidum. What I don't know is how the releases affect the ability to fish in that area and north up to approximately Deer Creek. I fish out of a Hobie Outback and am an experienced kayaker (~10 years) and have fished a lot of faster water on the North Branch and on the Upper Delaware. I'll check the release schedule when it is updated but other than that is there anything else that you would caution me about? Any particular baits or techniques that you would recommend. I will likely target smallies. Any help from you or others reading this post will be appreciated. Thanks, in advance.
          2012 Hobie Outback
          2014 Tarpon 100

Comment

Ganto,lately they have been only opening 1 small unit till at least noon ever day this week,with that its easy to navigate,I usually fish above deer creek to the dam ,but that far down if not more than 4 SMALL units you should be good,just call the hotline after 5 pm it is updated for tomorrow and make sure they are not opening any large units,it still might be ok but I don't mess around in that River.watch for rocks once you get up around deer creek,I don't have a hobie but the peddles might come it to play up any farther.also there are a few channels that run up the middle of the islands and on the port deposit side.as for the smallies ,sorry I usually target the stripers then catfish
            Snow Camo Lure 11.5
            Pod mounted 30lbs trolling motor
            Hummingbird Helix 5
            Kayak fishing and inviting! Doing what I love!

Comment

Thanks, Blackjack
              2012 Hobie Outback
              2014 Tarpon 100

Comment

Ganto,

Sorry for the delay, I was in West Virginia on a trip. You just gotta watch the water release schedule. I only fish when they run one small. When they turn on more gates the water really gets cranking. You should be ok around lapidum, I'd just be careful farther up as there are a TON of rocks in that river and I'd hate for you to mess up the mirage drive. I fish mainly for rockfish and cats so can't help too much with smallies. Hope this was helpful

Comment

Working...
                X