The flounder were hungry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The flounder were hungry

Raptor (Terry) and I launched from the West Ocean City ramp off of Golf Course Rd about 10:00 am. We had an incoming tide to push us up to the area near the Rt 50 bridge. We soon were drifting in the slowly moving current fishing minnows on bottom rigs. We spent most of the day drifting in the vicinity of Hoopers restaurant. Terry had the hot hand today. His first fish was a beauty -- the largest of the day.

001.jpg

We both continued catching so fast that we ran out of minnows. On last year's trip to OC, I picked up 3 dozen minnows and used only about 6 of them. Today, we ran through 3 dozen in 90 minutes and began using Gulp instead. The flounder were much less interested in Gulp. We each caught more than 10 flounder. All of mine were undersized. Terry caught more fish than me and had two of keeper size.

I was surprised that the outgoing tide never set up in the area where we were fishing. Even 5 hours after the predicted high tide, the outgoing current was so mild that the wind pushed us more than the current. However, after we headed below the Rt 50 bridge, we eventually found the fast-moving current and had an easy time heading in.

Other than running out of bait, the day was very enjoyable.
    Last edited by J.A. Veil; 07-31-2014, 10:43 AM.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

envious...................
    14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
    2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Looks like you and Terry had a great day.

Comment

Great job guys.

That's a lot of pullage.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Another great report John! I'll have to try the flatties down there.

Comment

Thanks for the report I am heading down there this weekend and definitely very helpful.

Comment

Doh, just posted in your trip announcement thread and failed to see you already went. Congrats guys!
              2013 Yellow Hobie Outback
              Kayak Fishing Blog - Cymbula Piscator

Comment

Glad to hear that you and Terry got in 'em. A 10 yr. kid caught a 5.5 lb. flattie in the west channel in front of Hoppers on Sat.

Comment

Nice work! It's never a bad day when you run out of bait because the fish are biting! Wish I could say the same lately...

I went out yesterday evening. Jigging with strips for flounder just north of Rt. 50 bridge (east and west) yielded small croakers and lots of little fish following along tugging at the ends of the strips. No flounder . To avoid the croakers I switched to live lining mullet and pig fish around the pilings on the east side of Rt. 50 bridge which yielded a spider crab and cow nosed rays. Double . Stayed after dark hoping for stripers and blues, but skunked and I didn't see anybody up on the bridge catching any either.

Only highlight of the trip was collecting 3 gotcha plugs and 1 rattle trap - all brand new - off the pilings Thanks bridge fisherman!
                  Brian

Comment

Sounds like a good.
                    I've been wondering how the flounder has been running at chincoteaque.
                    Been thinking of doing a weekend trip there.
                    2013 PRO ANGLER 12
                    2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Bob -

The flounder were very interested in live minnows on Wed. They ate a bunch, they stripped some others, and left only the heads behind on others. They did not pay much attention to Gulp. The minnows looked like killifish -- I bought them at ALL Tackle.
                      John Veil
                      Annapolis
                      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Nice report hope their hunger in a week
                        Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Hobie ivory tandem

Comment

Working...
                        X