Bay Bridge 7/30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bay Bridge 7/30

Went out this morning and met FL Boy at the Sandy Point ramp. He was still breaking in his Hobie PA12. We saw and spoke to many other kayakers out this morning. We went to the large rock pile on the east bound bridge and caught many stripers from about 12-21" For me the lure of the day was a YO-Zuri Crystal minnow and wore it out. I threw it up against the rocks and retrieved back with multiple hits, some stripers took it next to the kayak and one took it as I was pulling it out of the water. Great day on the water.
    Attached Files

good day on the water congrats!! the water conditions look calm from the pic's thats always a bonus!! glad you guys had a good day...cryin in my coffee stuck at work today normally wednesday is my day off...i would have really liked to have gotten out hooked up with some rockfish!! next time i hope. thanks for the report and again congrats on a nice day on the bay!!!

Comment

Hey I saw you and FL boy came back in. All I got was a bunch of perch. I had 3 double back to back, that was fun. I tried to go to the island area but when I got close there were like 3 boats circling it.

Comment

Harry,

How long does it take you to paddle your Cuda from Sandy Point to the Eastern Rock Pile? I'm just curious. The water looks to have been pretty quiet.

Regards,

John
        John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
        MK Endura Max 55 backup power
        Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

Originally posted by john from md View Post
          Harry,

How long does it take you to paddle your Cuda from Sandy Point to the Eastern Rock Pile? I'm just curious. The water looks to have been pretty quiet.

Regards,

John
          Not sure exactly, we talked and paddled didn't pay much attention but was pretty easy paddle this morning. The distance was about 1 mile from the launch site so I am guessing about 1/2 hour or so at the pace we were going back. Going out it was fishing the piling on the way out so it took longer, stop, fish and paddle, stop, fish and paddle. My clock was off on my lowrance 4 ( my fault) by an hour. Was going to go to shady side park ribbon cutting. When I told FL Boy what time it was and I was heading in he told me the correct time do didn't make it to the ribbon cutting.
          Last edited by On the fly; 07-30-2014, 06:46 PM.

Comment

Sounds like it was a great morning to be out there.
            Looks like FL Boy got comfortable in his new PA 12 pretty quick to be standing out there.
            So how you like it FL Boy?
            2013 PRO ANGLER 12
            2013 Cuda 12

Comment

No wind to speak of, flat water, cool with low humidity. As good as it gets.

Comment

Originally posted by groundhog View Post
                No wind to speak of, flat water, cool with low humidity. As good as it gets.
                I think so too. I stand up on my Trident 13 to use my cast net for some bait lol

Comment

Originally posted by CAGE RATTLER View Post
                  Sounds like it was a great morning to be out there.
                  Looks like FL Boy got comfortable in his new PA 12 pretty quick to be standing out there.
                  So how you like it FL Boy?
                  I like it a lot, it's super easy to stand in. I had a little problem with the rudder being out of adjustment and it wasn't giving me the full range of motion and the handle wasn't aligned properly but I took it back to the dealer after fishing and they fixed it for me. Other than that it's awesome, I got the 12 because I'm not a very tall person and the pedals are 1 1/2 inches closer than the 14's are . Still plenty of room for gear.

It was a great day though, it was nice to not get skunked. That was only my second time fishing the bay bridge.
                  Last edited by FL Boy; 07-30-2014, 07:40 PM.
                  Travis
                  Dune Hobie Pro Angler 12
                  Orange Old Town NEXT
                  USN

Comment

Nice going guys. The bay looked good as Raptor and I drove across this morning. Good work on catching some keeper-sized rocks.
                    John Veil
                    Annapolis
                    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Nice, maybe the west side of the bridge will finally consistently hold fish for the summer...
                      Ryan
                      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Harry,

Good report and great success for you today.

Sorry I couldn't join you but you know what I was doing and I bet I am more tired than you tonight despite your lengthy paddle on the Bay today!
                        Mark
                        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Thanks for the report! I didn't realize there were 2 rockpiles. How far past the first one from Sandy Point is it?
                          2013 Yellow Hobie Outback
                          Kayak Fishing Blog - Cymbula Piscator

Comment

Originally posted by Nitefly View Post
                            Thanks for the report! I didn't realize there were 2 rockpiles. How far past the first one from Sandy Point is it?
                            About a mile from Sandy point boat ramps to eastbound span rock pile.

Comment

Originally posted by Nitefly View Post
                              Eric -

Using the measuring tool on Google Earth, it is about 1.3 miles from the Sandy Pt boat ramps to the western rockpile. The eastern rockpile is another 0.7 miles.
                              John Veil
                              Annapolis
                              Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Working...
                              X