Good trolling rod holders for kayak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good trolling rod holders for kayak

I have a cuda 14 2013 model with the rear ram balls and rocket launcher . When I simulate a fish strike the kayak Really seams to stress in that area. Is there another good option. Should I take out the ball a install standard flush mount or am I over reacting? Also is it better to use the rear tubes for rod storage a troll with rods installed up front on gear tracs in center hatch? Thanks
    Cuda 14
    Big tuna

Are there not backing plates on your ram mounts? I would not worry much if they are properly installed. If anything, I would try to swap the ram mounts for Scotty 244 or 244l with backing plates and rocket launchers if ram mounts are stressing the hull that much. It would have to be one huge fish to cause any issues with this setup.

And yes they are great for storage, especially since you can adjust the angles when fishing bridge pilings. Which brings up one of the main problems with flush mounts. I guess that is why you see a lot guys with milk crates and such in the tankwell with rod holders on them, or even home made rod holders that fit in the flush mounts. My tarpon has them, but my net goes in there and that's about it since I put rocket launchers on the rear tracks.

I really do prefer to troll with my power lock rod holders I have mounted up front so I can monitor the rod tips, but I usually troll the two out front and one in a rocket launcher out back. Even if you just end up using the rear rocket launchers for storage, I would take them over a milk crate or flush mounts any day.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnE View Post
      Are there not backing plates on your ram mounts? I would not worry much if they are properly installed. If anything, I would try to swap the ram mounts for Scotty 244 or 244l with backing plates and rocket launchers if ram mounts are stressing the hull that much. It would have to be one huge fish to cause any issues with this setup.

And yes they are great for storage, especially since you can adjust the angles when fishing bridge pilings. Which brings up one of the main problems with flush mounts. I guess that is why you see a lot guys with milk crates and such in the tankwell with rod holders on them, or even home made rod holders that fit in the flush mounts. My tarpon has them, but my net goes in there and that's about it since I put rocket launchers on the rear tracks.

I really do prefer to troll with my power lock rod holders I have mounted up front so I can monitor the rod tips, but I usually troll the two out front and one in a rocket launcher out back. Even if you just end up using the rear rocket launchers for storage, I would take them over a milk crate or flush mounts any day.
      They are the 2013 factory mount ram ball with the 2008 tube (rocket launcher). Thinking about mounting up front on gear tracs installed on center console maybe.
      Cuda 14
      Big tuna

Comment

I have a cuda 14 and have had no problems with the rocket launchers. I did order the new center hatch lid for the easy access and gear tracks. I think ram mounds pulling on the center hatch could be more of a problem than the rear rocket launchers.

Here is a link to a Video just about the rear rocket launchers on the cuda that may answer your questions http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=I4d0gEqTkvE

I did mount my elite 4 and one rod holder to the center hatch for my fly rod. It is the one that came with the cuda meant to be used on the ram ball across from. Gopro mount.
        Last edited by On the fly; 07-29-2014, 10:08 AM.

Comment

Not sure if you have tried this but Drew Gregory explains specifically how to use the rocket launcher rod holders for trolling. He offers a couple tips that might help you. This is 2013 set up but I believe it still applies. Just skip to 9:40 in the video where he talks about the rod holders. Hope this helps! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTB3G...RAx87u6syXEWwg
          Hugo
          Jackson Cuda 12, Green Hornet
          USMC Retired

Comment

Thanks, took it out twice got blues and rock. The holders worked well!
            Cuda 14
            Big tuna

Comment

I guess others have complained about the ram balls on the back too. Looks like they changed them on the 2014 models.
              You can see the new rod holders here.
              http://flyfisher437.wordpress.com/20...ckson-cuda-14/
              2013 PRO ANGLER 12
              2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Working...
              X