Going to VA beach for couple days Aug 5 & 6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going to VA beach for couple days Aug 5 & 6

Anyone up for some fishing? I'm thinking of going to lynnhaven or rudee inlet. I would love to try CBBT but I'm afraid to go alone.

I will be there this weekend, but probably coming back monday. Might be there until tuesday.

Cbbt can indeed be pretty sketchy and probably not a great idea to go by yourself if you are not sure about it. I had a problem out there last weekend and it could have turned out very badly had conditions been worse and if there were not some good folks around to help me out.

Comment

I plan to fish the inlet and stay close to shore unless I find someone to fish with. I think I'm going to try around Ocean view area, maybe I get lucky with a cobia. Let me know how you do

Originally posted by JohnE View Post
      I will be there this weekend, but probably coming back monday. Might be there until tuesday.

Cbbt can indeed be pretty sketchy and probably not a great idea to go by yourself if you are not sure about it. I had a problem out there last weekend and it could have turned out very badly had conditions been worse and if there were not some good folks around to help me out.

Comment

I'm not sure how much you know about the area but I just moved up here from VA Beach a couple weeks ago. If you want to fish an inlet stick with Lynnhaven, if you can get farther back in the better lots of water to explore. The current gets really strong at the mouth. Rudee is good but tons of bait fish so your presentation has to be just right, the red in my avatar was caught there on a topwater. You could Fish the HRBT, Their is a launch sight on both ends the one on the Norfolk side is free at Willoughby off of Ocean View just before 15th Street. The water is usually a lot calmer at the HRBT.
        Travis
        Dune Hobie Pro Angler 12
        Orange Old Town NEXT
        USN

Comment

Awesome, thanks for the info FL Boy. I want to check out the ocean view artificial reef, I read that it produced some nice flounder and close enough to shore. I also plan to explore deep inside lynnhaven inlet.

Originally posted by FL Boy View Post
          I'm not sure how much you know about the area but I just moved up here from VA Beach a couple weeks ago. If you want to fish an inlet stick with Lynnhaven, if you can get farther back in the better lots of water to explore. The current gets really strong at the mouth. Rudee is good but tons of bait fish so your presentation has to be just right, the red in my avatar was caught there on a topwater. You could Fish the HRBT, Their is a launch sight on both ends the one on the Norfolk side is free at Willoughby off of Ocean View just before 15th Street. The water is usually a lot calmer at the HRBT.

Comment

Hrbt is pretty good, I fish there a lot. You can also launch at Ft. Monroe for $2 at the marina, and it is a much shorter paddle to the bridge than the other side at Willoughby. I do pretty well there certain times of year, but the Willoughby side usually seems to be more productive.

Rudee is nice and usually holds fish, but definitely tons of baitfish in there and it is overfished. I used to fish lynhaven, but have not been there once this year. They have been doing a bunch of construction near the lesner bridge, but like fl boy said, probably got to get back in there a ways. There is also 1st landing to check out over there.

Let me know if you fish the artificial reef. I would like to check that out sometime. Just make sure you are visible out there and keep an air horn on you, most likely a ton of power boats running full throttle through there...but maybe not too bad in the middle of the week.

There are tons of great spots in the area. I have fished there for many years, and have been kayak fishing there since about 2006. Just let me know if I can answer any other questions for you.

Comment

Rudee has a few flounder in it right now but otherwise is pretty slow. Lynnhaven is seeing an awesome year for pups and they are pretty much everywhere. Flounder are in too but you have to pick through the shorts. Cbbt has spades as close in as 10-15 pilings but the better class of fish are further out. Hrbt is giving up flounder on the bar as always. I would start at the 1st boat channel on the wiloby side. Back river has some speckled trout lingering around and sporadic schools of pups.
              Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

Confirmed on the spades being available in pretty close to the beach right now at cbbt. Saw a spearfisherman bring up a few on my way back in last weekend. Heard some guys pulled up a couple sheeps about half way out to the island last weekend as well.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnE View Post
                  Confirmed on the spades being available in pretty close to the beach right now at cbbt. Saw a spearfisherman bring up a few on my way back in last weekend. Heard some guys pulled up a couple sheeps about half way out to the island last weekend as well.
                  Like this one? I caught two on Saturday 7/26.

Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

Nice! Must have been you then. Some guy I was talking to said he saw you catch some. I only fished a little while before discovering I was taking on water in my tarpon and was then too busy trying to get my butt back to shore.

Did you happen to park behind my black silverado? Saw a truck with a snagged sticker. Thanks for leaving me room to load my yak if it was you guys.

Comment

If it was a white tundra then that was me.
                      Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

Working...
                      X