Weems produced in the wind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weems produced in the wind

The wind built throughout the morning and swirled around the contours of Weems Creek. The water level was quite high when we launched and fell throughout the morning. Raptor and I fished for several hours casting small lures to the shallows next to the shorelines. Although we fished near one another and both threw small spinner-type lures, I had better catching success. My conclusion is that the perch showed us two important preferences this morning (this is purely my speculation -- I don't really know what the little perch brains were thinking). But these are both basic premises of successful fishing for any species.

1) Find the size and color of lure that they want. I threw primarily Bignose spinners in 1/8-oz and 1/16-oz sizes. Both were bright chartreuse with a little flash. On my third rod I used a beetle spin rig with a small black plastic minnow. The minnow tail had good swimming action, but did not get much interest from the perch. They were all over the Bignose spinnerbaits however. Raptor initially was throwing a beetle spin rig with a twister tail. It was a little longer than the spinners I used. He had some bites but no hookups. Later he switched to a Woody's spinnerbait and got a few fish. I think the bright chartreuse was an advantage today in the somewhat murky water. If I had thrown the Bignose lures for the first half hour without success, I definitely would have changed to another size, shape, or color of lure to try to find what they wanted.

2) Fish where the fish are most likely to be. These fish were hunkered down very near the shoreline. It did not matter if the shore was dirt, grassy, riprap, wood bulkhead, tree roots, the fish were right up next to the edge in shallow water, in part because of the higher than usual water level. I focused my efforts on those shallow spots. In particular, I often positioned the kayak 10 to 15 ft off the shoreline and made a long cast parallel to the shoreline. My lure was in the target zone for most of the retrieve. Raptor fished part of the time casting to shallows and part to intermediate depth waters. He also made more casts perpendicular to the shore than I did. I suspect he had fewer bites there because there were fewer perch in those areas.

So much for my sermon/teaching moment. I also had some good pickerel news to report. Near the end of the trip, I caught two juvenile pickerel about 7-8" long and as big around as a cigar. They hit the same small spinnerbait that caught all the perch. I caught them at locations on opposite sides of the creek. I had not seen very small pickerel in several years in the Severn and was worried about the species' reproductive success. Today's unexpected catch suggests that there has been some reproduction and recruitment of young pickerel. I tried to get a photo but both of the little guys did a quick self release at boat side.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Just FYI - I have regularly had small pickerel (3"-5") in my cast net this year while throwing behind the house for minnows. Cute little buggers.

Comment

Originally posted by Skidsteer View Post
      Just FYI - I have regularly had small pickerel (3"-5") in my cast net this year while throwing behind the house for minnows. Cute little buggers.
      That is great news. Pickerel provide great winter fishing when most of our local tidal fish are not available. I am hopeful that their populations are sustainable in our local tidal waters.
      John Veil
      Annapolis

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

As the saying goes, if it ain't chartreuse, it ain't no use!

Them little buggers simply must hate things that color! They can't stand to see that color and try to kill it every time.
        Did you use the single or double blade models?
        If the water water is turbid, the single bladed models seem to produce better, they "thump" more in the water and are slower on the drop. Perfet for pitching under docks, timber and rip rap.
        The dual bladed models would probably do better when trolled.

I'm glad to hear that you are putting them to good use!

I'm gonna try to get down there either Wednesday or Thursday.
        I'm prepping my Center Console for sale, Tuesday. I think I finally have a buyer.

Comment

Originally posted by bignose View Post
          Did you use the single or double blade models?

I'm prepping my Center Console for sale, Tuesday. I think I finally have a buyer.
          I used the single bladed version. Good luck on the boat sale.
          John Veil
          Annapolis

Comment

Great report john. Another member fished bear creek in Dundalk and caught a few nice pickerel. Sounds like you will have an exciting winter in Weems
            2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
            2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
            2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Good report John.

Perch can indeed be fickle when it comes to artificial lures.

I tossed a Clouser Minnow in natural baitfish colors to them last week and Crystal Buggers in blue, chartreuse and brown. I managed 5 perch in hundreds of casts. I matched that number of perch in short order when I switched to spinning tackle with a jig spinner trailing a green-chartreuse curly tail. I think that day the sound of the spinning blade helped.
              Mark
              Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
              Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
              Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Yup - I got a fishing lesson complements of J. Veil. This is not the first time - I get to learn from one of the best around here - How cool is that? . . . . . Thanks John.
                Terry Hill

<*)))><{ <*)))><{

<*)))><{

<*)))><{

Santa Cruz RAPTOR

Comment

Originally posted by Raptor View Post
                  Yup - I got a fishing lesson complements of J. Veil. This is not the first time - I get to learn from one of the best around here - How cool is that? . . . . . Thanks John.

Gee Terry -- those are kind words. Sometimes the differences between fast catching and slow casting are small and subtle. In retrospect, I think throwing the smaller brighter spinner directly to the shoreline would have produced many more fish for you. Also in that last spot where we found perch stacked up in the shade, the direction in which the lure rode through the zone was important too. Lures moving downcurrent and cross current produced bites, whereas lures moving upcurrent were less productive.

I am looking forward to see which of us has the hot hand tomorrow in OC.
                  John Veil
                  Annapolis

Comment

Thanks for the info. Did you put in at Jonas Green or off Weems itself?

Comment

Originally posted by azmdted View Post
                      Thanks for the info. Did you put in at Jonas Green or off Weems itself?
                      The Tucker St ramp puts you directly into Weems. That is where we launched -- it was useful for a windy day.
                      John Veil
                      Annapolis

Comment

Is there a fee to put in at Tucker st?
                        PigPen - Mt Airy
                        Native Mariner 12.5

Comment

No fee to launch from Tucker.

But it's in a residential area and parking is limited.
                          Mark
                          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

A week later, and I had a windy day today on Weems, too.

I didn't do very well, low numbers and small size too boot.

Unlike the kayakers, my Old Town Canoe got blown all over the place, the wind was from every direction of the compass.
                            Since it is keeless, a crosswind skates me sideways. I gave up after getting blown under a couple of docks up by the mouth and getting blown backwards into one too many boat lifts.

Comment

I just finished five hours on Weems. My first time there. What a beautiful place. The weather was pretty good, occasional sprinkles but that was it. Little wind for most of the day. I went all the up one side and down the other then into the Severn for a bit. In the end I caught about 40 Perch, but all about 7 inches, so no keepers. But it was one of the most peaceful days I've had in quite a while. Thanks for pointing it out to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X