Assowoman Bay Ocen city

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Assowoman Bay Ocen city

Anybody fish from Kayak. I'm going to try in a couple weeks , the place we have has a dock around 120th street.
    Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Hobie ivory tandem

People try there - flounder, little blues, maybe some reds will be there soon.

I personally haven't tried that far north of the Rt. 90 bridge before, but if you have a dock for launching, I know a bunch of people that'll help you look for fish!!
    Brian

Comment

Gravedigger when will you be there? I am there next Friday to Monday and launching from Sunset Islands area. Let me know plan on drifting for flounder and croakers.

Comment

Assowoman Bay Ocen city

I'll be there August 11-15. Haven't done much fishing from kayak though, borrowing tandem hobie mirage drive. Surf fish hatteras regularly

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
        Last edited by Gravedigger; 07-27-2014, 12:57 PM.

Hobie ivory tandem

Comment

IMAG0569.jpg
          Had the best Red Drum (kayak) fishing of my life on the Assowoman and Sinopuxent bay last yr... but it was in Sept. Two seasons ago, a friend told me find a good grassy spot and you can't fish too shallow, last yr all my reds in that area were caught in about 8 inches of water... on Bass Assassins. These were caught and released in the grass shallows not too far from the RT50 Bridge
          IMAG0551.jpg

IMAG0549.jpg
          Last edited by hale3333; 07-28-2014, 09:41 AM.

Comment

If it is worth targeting reds I'm all in . Tentative plan was croakers and flounder but Reds are a different story. Any reports of Reds?

Originally posted by hale3333 View Post
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]12797[/ATTACH]
            Had the best Red Drum (kayak) fishing of my life on the Assowoman and Sinopuxent bay last yr... but it was in Sept. Two seasons ago, a friend told me find a good grassy spot and you can't fish too shallow, last yr all my reds in that area were caught in about 8 inches of water... on Bass Assassins. These were caught and released in the grass shallows not too far from the RT50 Bridge
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]12799[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12800[/ATTACH]

Hobie ivory tandem

Comment

A few strays have been caught at the 50 bridge and south jetty, but nothing consistent. I've targeted them a few times with no luck. As far as your strategy goes....you can target all of them at the same time. No need to choose just one. If you move to any kind of deeper water, you'll find all the croaker you want (or don't want if you're flounder fishing).

Hobie Fishing Team Member
              Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
              2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Originally posted by RavensDfense View Post
                A few strays have been caught at the 50 bridge and south jetty, but nothing consistent. I've targeted them a few times with no luck. As far as your strategy goes....you can target all of them at the same time. No need to choose just one. If you move to any kind of deeper water, you'll find all the croaker you want (or don't want if you're flounder fishing).
                Are you saying the flounder are found in shallow water?

Hobie ivory tandem

Comment

Sometimes, yes. In the late summer/early fall we were catching large flounder one cast and a large puppy drum the next. In about 4ft of water. The water cooled off which caused the fish to go in shallow. The same thing happens in the spring when the deeper water is cool and the shallow water is warmed up from the sun and outgoing tide.

What I was saying pertaiing to your upcoming trip was that a lot of the flats that you will find the reds on are next to deeper channels (where youre more likely to find a flounder in the summer). My best flounder day this year came after a crappy red day. The same rod will work for both...just bring a basic flounder rig and adapt if you can't find reds on the grass flats. You can also plan ahead and bring a cast net to catch mullet or spot or buy a few minnows before you go.

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
                  2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Glad I posted before i went. Ordered Tim Wade cast nets last week. One 8' for the surf and 5' for the Kayak. Taking cheap 4' cast net also.
                    What do I need for Reds on a Kayak rig wise, hook type/size etc.? Flounder rig is not a problem.

I guess I'll need to bring a little stiffer rod than I was planning, not a problem.

Hobie ivory tandem

Comment

If I am drifting down a flat Ill use a weighted weedless hook with a white gulp or bass assassin. An 1/8 jig head with the same also works. Topwater lures work too. A top dog or rapala skitter walk are always pretty good. As far as rod/reel, you dont need a beefstick of a setup. I use a 3000 size shimano reel with 15 lb braid and 20lb fluro leader and a 7 ft med. rod. The same thing I use for flounder also. Too heavy of a setup and you won't be able to cast the light jighead for any distance.

If you do net some mullet, its never a bad idea to rig one on a circle hook under a popping cork and let it drift behind you. Loosen you drag and put it in the rod holder. Good luck, man. Look forward to a report.

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
                      2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Was only planning on ultra light with 1000 shimano. Will bring 7' bass with 4500 abu's

Originally posted by RavensDfense View Post
                        If I am drifting down a flat Ill use a weighted weedless hook with a white gulp or bass assassin. An 1/8 jig head with the same also works. Topwater lures work too. A top dog or rapala skitter walk are always pretty good. As far as rod/reel, you dont need a beefstick of a setup. I use a 3000 size shimano reel with 15 lb braid and 20lb fluro leader and a 7 ft med. rod. The same thing I use for flounder also. Too heavy of a setup and you won't be able to cast the light jighead for any distance.

If you do net some mullet, its never a bad idea to rig one on a circle hook under a popping cork and let it drift behind you. Loosen you drag and put it in the rod holder. Good luck, man. Look forward to a report.

Hobie ivory tandem

Comment

Dang that looks like fun. Nice fish!

Originally posted by hale3333 View Post
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]12797[/ATTACH]
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]12799[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12800[/ATTACH]
                          Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

Heading down Sunday. Hope the weather is good next week.

Hobie ivory tandem

Comment

Working...
                            X