Dan Marino figures out LTJ real quick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dan Marino figures out LTJ real quick

This morning Dan Marino (Tom) and Mark joined me on my 16' Scout center console. The wind forecast called for low winds. We launched from Sandy Point at 7:45 to a flat calm lagoon. Once we cleared the jetty, we faced steady 2' swells. The further out we rode, the worse the seas became.

After taking on lots of spray, we made our way to the down-current edge of the western shore rockpile. Tom told me he had never done LTJ (light tackle jigging) in the bay before. I didn't think things were fishable, but wanted Tom to get a feel for how LTJ was done. I handed him my custom 6'2" jigging rod with a 2-oz jighead and hot-rodded 8" plastic tail. Mark and I were jigging on one side of the boat in a strong current. Less than a minute after I told Tom to drop his lure, he was hooked up with a strong fish. As it reached the surface, I moved over to help him get the fish in. Rather than lipping it or grabbing the jighead, I lifted the fish by the leader. As the fish tail cleared the water, the knot broke, and Tom's 23" prize fell back in.

The currents and waves were much too strong for us to stay at the bridge. We rode around looking for good sonar marks. Finally we found a large group of birds diving on bait south of the bridge. As soon as we moved in, Mark and Tom hooked up with stripers using small lures. I saw good sonar marks near the bottom and continued jigging heavier lures, hoping for larger fish. The other guys quickly caught at least 10 fish each, but I managed the only other keeper of the day (just barely -- at 18.5", I did not want to mess with the shrinkage factor.) The fish was released. I also caught the only two bluefish of the day --both were 13". I kept them for a good dinner.

Just for fun, at the end of the trip, we returned to the same corner of the rockpile where Tom caught his striper earlier. Once again, within less than minute, his rod bent over. This fish was a foul-hooked perch that had dark coloration (black back perch). That corner of the rockpile will forever be known as "Tom's Corner" for me.

Even at the end of the trip, the darn waves, albeit somewhat smaller than earlier, were there to throw us around on the way in.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Good report, John.

Tough conditions out there today.

Thank you for guiding us through them.

Also, it was nice meeting and fishing with a football star. I should have asked for Dan's autograph, not only for his gridiron heroics but because he caught the largest fish today until our guide fumbled it.

Anyway, even in rough water where there are birds like this this...

A.jpg

There are fish.

Gulls are nature's best fish finders.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Thanks for being such a great host and guide John. I had a wonderful time fishing with you and Mark. I learned a lot today along the way as well. Fishing the Upper Potomac for smallies is my first love, but I can see how fishing the Bay for stripers can be a lot of fun.

Regarding the light tackle jigging at the bridge, it reminds me a lot of fishing tubes in current seams for smallies on the Potomac. Johns St Croix rod and Shimano reel were beautiful to use, light, and sensitive. Thanks John for letting me use your excellent gear today.

I felt terrible for getting my rod tangled with Mark's baitcaster on his first cast of the day. You wouldn't believe the size of the backlash his reel suffered.

So for my rookie outing I had a great day. Much thanks to John and Mark for their hospitality and willingness to share their fishing knowledge.

Tom

Comment

Cool report!! Anglers in pusuit of thier quarry dealing with unfavorable conditions...to prevail and achieve success!! May have the makings of a movie!! Seriously a great report!! Glad there were fish to bend your rods!! Not often are rock piles are given names to honor those WHO fished them. Good job guys!! Memories made stories to be told friendships bonded!! That what it is about! Phil

Comment

Just for comparison purposes:
          We got out with the charter boat twice last week.
          Monday, an afternoon trip trying to live line at the bridge. Calm seas, not much current. Very slow bite. Our Spot, which we got at L.J.'s, were too big, almost big enough to filet. I managed to catch a very nice perch at the dock waiting for our clients to show up, my biggest of the season (finally).
          Still we managed to catch a few. It was very satisfying getting the autistic son of our client on a good sized fish. This is why I do this.

Wednesday, a whole different story. 2 foot waves and a brisk NW wind with an strong outgoing current. Not gonna try to drift the big boat around the pilings under those conditions, we ended up anchoring between Sandy Point and Podickory and did some chumming. 8 hours of riding the bronco standing on the back deck, and my legs were shot afterwards. And in spite of the breeze, it was darn hot! Very long day.

Don't know how you did it, John, too much boat handling in a nasty area under tough conditions. I'm glad that you guys were able to get into some fish.
          Even Capt. Ed Darwin wouldn't fish the bridge when it's like that, ( he was up near us) and he has been around since the Bay was filled.
          We caught good numbers, but only 1/3 were keeping size.

Comment

Originally posted by bignose View Post
            Just for comparison purposes:
            We got out with the charter boat twice last week.
            Monday, an afternoon trip trying to live line at the bridge. Calm seas, not much current. Very slow bite. Our Spot, which we got at L.J.'s, were too big, almost big enough to filet. I managed to catch a very nice perch at the dock waiting for our clients to show up, my biggest of the season (finally).
            Still we managed to catch a few. It was very satisfying getting the autistic son of our client on a good sized fish. This is why I do this.

Wednesday, a whole different story. 2 foot waves and a brisk NW wind with an strong outgoing current. Not gonna try to drift the big boat around the pilings under those conditions, we ended up anchoring between Sandy Point and Podickory and did some chumming. 8 hours of riding the bronco standing on the back deck, and my legs were shot afterwards. And in spite of the breeze, it was darn hot! Very long day.

Don't know how you did it, John, too much boat handling in a nasty area under tough conditions. I'm glad that you guys were able to get into some fish.
            Even Capt. Ed Darwin wouldn't fish the bridge when it's like that, ( he was up near us) and he has been around since the Bay was filled.
            We caught good numbers, but only 1/3 were keeping size.

Stu -

A large boat would have been much more comfortable today. Running a small boat safely and "comfortably" in rough water requires almost constant throttle adjustment. I was happy to get back in the Sandy Pt inlet at the end of the trip with all body parts and boat parts intact.
            John Veil
            Annapolis
            Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Can you imagine those conditions in a kayak?

Some here would!

lol

Comment

DSCN0129.jpg
                Originally posted by bignose View Post
                Can you imagine those conditions in a kayak?

Some here would!

lol
                Bin there done that DSCN0129.jpg DSCN0133.jpg
                Mike and son Jeffrey Yellow Hobie Pro Angler
                Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Working...
                X