Eastern bay shallow water casting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eastern bay shallow water casting

Recently I have been making as many trips in my 16' Scout center console as I have in my kayaks. I need low winds to get out in open water in the Scout. The weather over the last week has allowed me to get out frequently.

Today I made a solo trip to Eastern Bay with a primary plan to fish shallow areas. On my two previous trips to Eastern Bay this summer, I encountered seas that were uncomfortably big for my 16' boat and dirty water in the shallow areas I wanted to fish. This morning was considerably better. Although I did check my sonar for deepwater fish as I moved about, I never found any compelling marks. Instead I spent several hours working in shallow areas near shorelines, including some stump fields, grassy points, and rip rap banks. My trolling motor and front pedestal seat got a lot of use today.

The water was clean and calm allowing me to cover longer distances (31 miles today) and check out numerous spots. I had hoped for large fish and maybe a trout or redfish, but had to settle today for two stripers at 18", one at 19", and a few more shorter ones (all returned to swim again). All were caught in less than 4' water depth using a 3" chartreuse Gulp swimming mullet on a 3/8-oz jighead. The rods were 6'6" light and medium light St Croix Premiers with Stradic 2500 reels, 20-lb Powerpro and 20-lb mono leader. I tried casting several other soft plastics, but they were not touched. I had many other bites that did not get hooked -- I presume these were minnows or small panfish that were nipping at the Gulp as it rode across the bottom.

Here are several other natural history observations. Today I saw my first jellyfish of the summer. They were obvious in many places but were not thick yet. I saw loads of schools of small baitfish everywhere I went, but saw no evidence of diving birds, breaking fish, or predators working the bait schools. I saw dozens of rays in shallow and deep water. Many were still paired up (presumably for mating) with wing tips sticking up in the air. I saw my first ever cormorant nests today -- and I saw large groups of them in two separate areas.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

John,

Sounds like a nice ride today.

Too bad the redfish and speckled trout remain missing.

But congrats on the striper catches.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Nice report, John. Thanks for sharing.
      Peggy

Native Slayer Propel 12.5 Max
      Cobra Explorer

Comment