Friday at Triton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by john from md View Post
    I am new to trolling in a yak. In my boat I trolled at 2 mph usually. With light tackle, I am still learning how much line to let out.

John
    I let out probably 50 feet, maybe more? The only time I know for sure is when I'm trying to drag a bottom bouncer and keep it in contact with the bottom...and then it's a matter of "enough" line so I can feel it touching.

One of the things about trolling I try to keep in mind; fish can swim (rough top speed/short burst) 1mph for each 1inch in length. We're trying to replicate baitfish when we troll, a 2-4inch long lure won't look "natural" full throttle. Most fish don't swim around very fast, even large billfish move at probably less than 10% of their potential on average. Same with people, we don't run everywhere. This is why I troll at the speed I do, I don't cover as much territory...but I usually catch fish.
    Hobie fleet:
    2017 Quest 13
    2015 Outback
    2014 Outback

Comment

Well, it looks like I am doing the right stuff for kayak trolling. Now if only the fish would participate.

John
      John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
      MK Endura Max 55 backup power
      Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

Nice going Gents! Looks like you guys changed the slow streak we've been reading on many reports.
        Wish I would have came Goody but no way I would have survived 14 miles while fasting! LOL
        -Mustafa
        ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
        2016 Hobie Outback
        2012 Hobie Revolution 13
        "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Originally posted by AbuMasgouf View Post
          Nice going Gents! Looks like you guys changed the slow streak we've been reading on many reports.
          Wish I would have came Goody but no way I would have survived 14 miles while fasting! LOL
          We'll fish soon when you're ready.

Mobile

Outback 2015
          Maui

Comment

Good day of fishing.

Yeah team work comes in nicely when getting yaks up that beach 1 in back and another up front goes pretty well.

Comment

Originally posted by surfdog View Post
              Good day of fishing.

Yeah team work comes in nicely when getting yaks up that beach 1 in back and another up front goes pretty well.

Did that at the end. That works good but still very tiring at the end of the day.

Mobile

Outback 2015
              Maui

Comment

I tried to launch out of Triton a few weeks back. Waited till 745, no one arrived, so I left.

Comment

Originally posted by groundhog View Post
                  I tried to launch out of Triton a few weeks back. Waited till 745, no one arrived, so I left.
                  You can always carry your kayak through the pedestrian gate and load it in stages. Then haul it down to the launch. At the end of the day, just drive down to the beach and load it back up. That ranger is always late! 7am is too late of a start for me anyway
                  2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                  2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                  2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Originally posted by sparky1423 View Post
                    You can always carry your kayak through the pedestrian gate and load it in stages. Then haul it down to the launch. At the end of the day, just drive down to the beach and load it back up. That ranger is always late! 7am is too late of a start for me anyway
                    Jeremy,

That may work for you son, but I have seen too many winters to attempt carrying my yak through that gate.

Regards,

John
                    John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
                    MK Endura Max 55 backup power
                    Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

Originally posted by john from md View Post
                      Jeremy,

That may work for you son, but I have seen too many winters to attempt carrying my yak through that gate.

Regards,

John
                      Yes, it is quite the trek to the water. I'm already feeling the abuse I put my body through and I have a ways to go. Lots of respect to the older ladies and gentlemen pulling their kayaks!
                      2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                      2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                      2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Yeah moc, GB, coop and I launched there a month or so ago and had to load up in the parking area and slep down the road loaded then the ranger shows after we got on the beach at 7:30.

Comment

Sounds like the gate can be hit or miss. It happened to be open when I arrived at 6:45am on friday.
                          John D.
                          2015 Hobie Revolution 13
                          GO RAVENS!!!
                          GO ORIOLES!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Goody View Post
                            Launched out Triton with Cowpokey and Deleonjo. The gate was open at 7am sharp. Overcast day with very little wind if any. Bottom fished for awhile and caught spots. Afterwards we trolled around the area and caught some nice stripers. I ended up with one keeper. Highlights as follows - had one shake itself off at the yak side, another that swam off with my lure which somehow came off the TA clip, and one mystery fish that ran my drag for about 10 seconds and then popped the line. I also caught 2 blues and multiple stripers. Bummed I lost 2 lures to the stripers. All in all we had a good day of fishing. We were out there from around 7-2:30 or 3 and must have covered at least 12+ miles.

The beach area does have about 25'-30' of sand that has to crossed to get to the water. Highly recommend beach sand wheel to get kayak to the water. Getting it to the water is easier than landing and getting it back to loading area when you are tired.

[ATTACH]12713[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]12716[/ATTACH]

Mobile

What lures did you guys have success with there? How close did you troll to the shorelines?

I am thinking of a trip to Triton Beach early Friday a.m., but have to be off the water by 10:30 or 11:00 at the latest. If it's too windy, I'll just hit Carrs Wharf. If anyone is interested let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishinfool View Post
                              What lures did you guys have success with there? How close did you troll to the shorelines?

I am thinking of a trip to Triton Beach early Friday a.m., but have to be off the water by 10:30 or 11:00 at the latest. If it's too windy, I'll just hit Carrs Wharf. If anyone is interested let me know.
                              I used 3-4" Rapala, Yo Zuri and Lucky Craft crank baits. Silver color seem to be the color of the day.

Look at the map posted earlier to see the route.

Mobile

Outback 2015
                              Maui

Comment

I used a Norman Middle N; white with purple back, and white 4" z-man paddle tail on a red 1/2oz jig head.
                                Hobie fleet:
                                2017 Quest 13
                                2015 Outback
                                2014 Outback

Comment

Working...
                                X