Friday at Triton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Friday at Triton

Launched out Triton with Cowpokey and Deleonjo. The gate was open at 7am sharp. Overcast day with very little wind if any. Bottom fished for awhile and caught spots. Afterwards we trolled around the area and caught some nice stripers. I ended up with one keeper. Highlights as follows - had one shake itself off at the yak side, another that swam off with my lure which somehow came off the TA clip, and one mystery fish that ran my drag for about 10 seconds and then popped the line. I also caught 2 blues and multiple stripers. Bummed I lost 2 lures to the stripers. All in all we had a good day of fishing. We were out there from around 7-2:30 or 3 and must have covered at least 12+ miles.

The beach area does have about 25'-30' of sand that has to crossed to get to the water. Highly recommend beach sand wheel to get kayak to the water. Getting it to the water is easier than landing and getting it back to loading area when you are tired.

uploadfromtaptalk1405883984147.jpg

Mobile

Outback 2015
    Maui

sounds like a fine day indeed. nice post. I'm gonna catch up with you at the bridge one of these days.

Comment

The beach area does have about 25'-30' of sand that has to crossed to get to the water. Highly recommend beach sand wheel to get kayak to the water. Getting it to the water is easier than landing and getting it back to loading area when you are tired.

Amen! I find dragging my yak across the sand is easier than using the wheels which only dig in anyway.

John
      John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
      MK Endura Max 55 backup power
      Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

sounds like a great day
        D Hawk
        Green Malibu X-Factor stolen dream
        Sand Malibu X-Factor The replacement

Comment

Originally posted by Goody View Post
          We were out there from around 7-2:30 or 3 and must have covered at least 12+ miles.
          I'm waiting for John (Deleonjo) to post up what he did for mileage, he cleared the track in his GPS before we launched, and said he was going to look at it when he got home...I'm guessing he puts it on his computer. I wish I could find a way to use my GPS data from my Lowrance on my Mac.

Originally posted by john from md View Post
          Amen! I find dragging my yak across the sand is easier than using the wheels which only dig in anyway.

John
          Yeah, it was brutal pulling my yak back up the sand with my Hobie HD cart. Probably shouldn't have even put the cart in until it was back on hard ground. John has really wide beach tires on his cart, it seemed to work pretty good.

It was constant action for about an hour and a half for me, but when the tide went slack so did the bite for me.
          Hobie fleet:
          2017 Quest 13
          2015 Outback
          2014 Outback

Comment

Nice job guys. I was out at the bridge looking for you but it sounds like you'd switched and moved a little further south, which was a good idea. Not much happening at the bridge.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
            Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
            Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
            Kokatat Pro Staff
            Torqeedo Pro Staff
            Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
            Alan

Comment

Originally posted by Yak Fish View Post
              Nice job guys. I was out at the bridge looking for you but it sounds like you'd switched and moved a little further south, which was a good idea. Not much happening at the bridge.
              I haven't seen any action at the bridge for about a month. No marks. Lots of bait balls.

Mobile

Outback 2015
              Maui

Comment

Originally posted by Yak Fish View Post
                How many kayaks were at the west side of the bridge? I was planning to go there, but I'm glad Goody decided to hit Triton instead.

We tried getting spot for live lining, but the bite was slow, or we just weren't on a good location. I caught 5 by a marker close to the launch, and they were pretty big...too big for live lining "I" think.
                Hobie fleet:
                2017 Quest 13
                2015 Outback
                2014 Outback

Comment

I did see a lot of fish on the fish finder, none of which looked like stripers. I saw at least 1 ray. All the marks were small. I saw about 3 other kayakers all day and they were looking for spot. I chatted with them for a couple of minutes and it sounded like they were working hard for them. I couldn't find anything good on the west side so I was headed to the east side where I was catching several weeks ago. However, my wife called me and was ready to head home. She'd agreed to come with me and hang out on Sandy Point while I fished. I guess I can fish a lot longer than she wants to sit in the sun. So I didn't fish as long as I normally would have, and never found the bite. There were just small fish around, with the most action I saw being around the rock piles at the main span. But really not worth the run over there unless you like to fish for perch or small stripers. The birds were all sitting there, bored waiting for some action.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                  Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                  Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                  Kokatat Pro Staff
                  Torqeedo Pro Staff
                  Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                  Alan

Comment

When we found the fish I had a double instantly. Must have been a big school of striper, most were small but there were some keepers in there too. I should have taken some screen shots of the sonar, it was wild.
                    Hobie fleet:
                    2017 Quest 13
                    2015 Outback
                    2014 Outback

Comment

14.04 miles of paddling for me. Goody and Cowpokey added an out and back to the west when we reached the far side of the South river so their mileage is probably higher.

20140718_Triton_Track.jpg

Managed to land 10, the largest just under 18" with lots of hookups that didn't make it over the gunwale. That's a good day for me as I'm rarely successful trolling. Definitely got out fished by the pedal guys, though, as they caught some bigger fish and better numbers.

Here is a shot of Cowpokey after doubling up on the eastern side of the Thomas Point Lighthouse Shoal. Ironically, and correct me if I'm wrong CP/Goody, but one of the fish he is holding is Goody's as he also doubled up chasing the school and got tangled up with CP and myself in the process (What's up with that, Paul? Did you know you were doubled up? ). Anyway, this was the turning point of the day as the fishing had been a little tough, and the two double hookups by Cowpokey and Goody plus the added tangle up comedy changed everyone's outlook. We now knew that there were fish in the area, and how to catch them. There was a lot of catching going on after this. You can see the area we were working just west of the lighthouse in the map above.

IMG_0996.jpg

The famous Thomas Point Shoal Lighthouse. It's about a 3 mile paddle from here to the launch 'as the crow flies'.

IMG_0997.jpg

Cool rainbow halo around the sun

IMG_0998.jpg

re: sand - luckily, my Wheeleez cart arrived the day before and it worked great on the sand at Beverly Triton beach on Friday and today at Terrapin Park. It was quite expensive, but, now that I've used it...worth every penny.
                      Last edited by deleonjo; 07-21-2014, 07:39 AM.
                      John D.
                      2015 Hobie Revolution 13
                      GO RAVENS!!!
                      GO ORIOLES!!!

Comment

Wow, I knew we put some miles on...14 is a lot, no wonder we were so tired pulling the kayaks out of the sand. LOL.

Correct, one of those was Goody's, I had just released the other one of my double. That was a bad tangle, but we got it all sorted out and didn't even cut a line. As soon as my lines went back in I got another double. I was a little worried about getting tangled up with Goody again since we were so close together still, but he hooked up and our fish went in opposite directions and I got both of mine off again without a mess.
                        Hobie fleet:
                        2017 Quest 13
                        2015 Outback
                        2014 Outback

Comment

How fast do you guys go in those paddle boats? My average speed in my Endura Trident is 2.5-3 MPH. 14 miles would take some time for me.

John
                          John

Vibe Skipjack 90

Comment

Originally posted by john from md View Post
                            How fast do you guys go in those paddle boats? My average speed in my Endura Trident is 2.5-3 MPH. 14 miles would take some time for me.

John
                            I troll at 1-2 knots, usually in the middle at 1.5. Covering distance I go 3-3.5 knots. I can push it to 4.5+, but that's more effort than fun.
                            Hobie fleet:
                            2017 Quest 13
                            2015 Outback
                            2014 Outback

Comment

I am new to trolling in a yak. In my boat I trolled at 2 mph usually. With light tackle, I am still learning how much line to let out.

John
                              John

Vibe Skipjack 90

Comment

Working...
                              X