Bay Bridge Saturday 7/19/2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bay Bridge Saturday 7/19/2014

Goody and I fished the Bay Bridge this morning launching out of Sandy Point State Park. Arrived at Anglers just before 5AM to pick up some spot. I waited in line as the door opened, by the time the counter person got to the person in front of me...the spot were sold out. Looking at my watch it was 5:03AM. The employees told me they have not been getting many spot in this season and sell out usually within 15 minutes.

We decided to catch our own spot with fish bites and real bloodworm, we found the spot but they were all too big. Funny, usually I complain that the fish are too small! After a few hours we decided to hit a few bridge supports. I tried a cut piece of spot with no luck, eventually we swallowed our pride and decided to bottom fish to kill the time. I paddled to a long section of rip rap just to the right of the bridge after crossing under both spans. I tied on a replica of a Woody's spinner I made over the winter and started catching perch on every cast. I signaled Goody to come over and gave him a spinner to try himself. We had a blast catching perch one after another....most were larger sized WP.

I hope the Live lining heats up like it did last year at the bridge....especially in time for the CBKA.
    Attached Files
    2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
    2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
    2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

nice report!! good way to make a successful day out of it!! always nice to have a bent rod!! in a good way!!

Comment

That's a good looking spinner. You made it from scratch? What size components and jig head? What paint do you use?
      Hobie fleet:
      2017 Quest 13
      2015 Outback
      2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
        That's a good looking spinner. You made it from scratch? What size components and jig head? What paint do you use?
        It's a 1/8 oz head and a 2/0 hook. I buy the head and hook already poured and painted. I just add the hackle and flash. Then bend the wire and attach swivel and blade.
        2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
        2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK

JEREMY D

Comment

Originally posted by sparky1423 View Post
          It's a 1/8 oz head and a 2/0 hook. I buy the head and hook already poured and painted. I just add the hackle and flash. Then bend the wire and attach swivel and blade.
          Cool, thanks for the info. I make tackle and tie flies, but never tried making one of those.
          Hobie fleet:
          2017 Quest 13
          2015 Outback
          2014 Outback

Comment

Nice catch of perch! They are fun when you catch them one after another after another...
            Laura (aka zeebyrd)
            Perception Pescador Pro 100

Comment

Nice looking lure, Jeremy.

Congrats on your success with it today.
              Mark
              Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
              Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
              Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

nice grade of perches there
                Ryan
                Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Sorry about the live lining gents. But hey a mess o perch still makes it a good day!
                  -Mustafa
                  ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
                  2016 Hobie Outback
                  2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                  "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Great fishing with you Jeremy.

I got to Anglers 5 minute later and found out the same thing. Totally bumped since I only brought LL gear. In the end Sparky saved the day by busting out his homemade spinners.
                    WP were loving them. Thanks Bro!

Mobile

Outback 2015
                    Maui

Comment

Nice load of perch to rescue a fishing trip
                      D Hawk
                      Green Malibu X-Factor stolen dream
                      Sand Malibu X-Factor The replacement

Comment

With the spinner, were you catching the perch at the pilings or did you abandon the pilings and started casting towards the shoreline?

Comment

I left the bridge and headed to the shoreline. There's a long run of riprap next to the docks for the contractor boats. I was in 1-2 FOW casting parallel with the riprap. I was pretty much parked on top the riprap...the closer you could cast, the better
                          2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                          2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK

JEREMY D

Comment

Nice perch! I'd rather fry up some perch over rock fish any day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice Job!
                              2013 Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Working...
                              X