Big tuna fishfinder help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big tuna fishfinder help

Anyone mount a fishfinder on a big tuna? Wondering where to but the battery for starters? Thanks
    Cuda 14
    Big tuna

On my Big Tuna, I placed the battery in a waterproof box and fastened it inside the rear storage hatch using velcro. The transducer is mounted in one of the rear scupper holes using the Lowrance scupper mount kit. Because the Big Tuna has oval-shaped scuppers, I had to make some modifications to the kit to make it fit, but I haven't had a single issue with the install. From the scupper hole, I then ran the transducer wire across the outside of the rear tank well (where the rear chair sits in tandem setup) and through a hole I drilled on the rear face of the tank well. Once inside the yak, I ran the transducer wire inside the boat to my selected location for the fishfinder unit. There, I drilled a hole for the transducer cable and battery wires, and used one of the rubber grommets that Hobie sells for a few bucks to help seal the hole.

I'll try to remember to post photos later today or tomorrow.
    Golden Papaya Outback

Comment

Thanks. I was thinking about putting the battery in the aft hatch as I never use it. I use the live well all the time.
      Cuda 14
      Big tuna

Comment

If you could post some pics when you get a chance that would help thanks!
        Cuda 14
        Big tuna

Comment

Radio Shack carries 12v batteries that should work, make sure you use the in-line fuse. I simply keep my battery in a waterproof box at the front of my Big Tuna ff-2.jpg...(visible at top/center of pic)...I have not hard mounted my FF because I dont always take it with me ff3.jpg....others have done the same...setup2.jpg...my transducer is also easily removable, installed on a pvc arm which i can pivot in & out of the water ff-5.jpg ...(i admit i like Daves mount better, previous image) the wires on the deck have never been an issue, i simply try to keep them wound up & stowed as best as possible. You have many options.
          Jackson - BIG TUNA

Comment

Sorry for the delay, Longtrav, but here are a few photos of the FF setup on my Big Tuna. As you'll see, there's about a 2' section of transducer cable that stretches across the deck, but that section is normally covered by my seat, if in tandem mode, or my crate, if in solo mode.
            IMG_20140801_193007_334 - Copy.jpgIMG_20140801_193132_107 - Copy.jpg

I drilled a hole through the rear face of the aft tank well, ran the transducer wire through it, and sealed it with a Hobie thru hull plug that I picked up from BYB.

IMG_20140801_193056_151 - Copy.jpg

The battery is contained in a waterproof box that is attached inside the aft storage hatch with velcro.

IMG_20140801_193213_933 - Copy.jpg

I ran the battery wire and terminal end of the transducer cable up the inside of the hull and through a hole I drilled next to my gear track. I used another Hobie thru hull plug to help seal the hole.

IMG_20140801_193302_308 - Copy.jpgIMG_20140801_193506_773 - Copy.jpg
            Golden Papaya Outback

Comment

That a nice set up. Thanks for the post.
              Cuda 14
              Big tuna

Comment

Did you rivet gear mount trac?
                Cuda 14
                Big tuna

Comment

No. I used screws and they seem to be working fine.
                  Golden Papaya Outback

Comment

Working...
                  X