• Black Hills launch sites

Where is the launch that I hear about under the bridge of Black Hills
    Zach Moore
    Delaware Paddle Sports Fishing Team
    Fishal Custom Baits Pro Staff
    Bait Towel Pro Staff
    2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12
    YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSa...8WkC2WzHhAjVaQ

It's been several years since I last launched at Black Hills. As I remember, there is a cartop only launch at the south end of the Rt121 bridge. It's not exactly under the bridge but about 100'-200' to the south of the bridge. It involves about a 100'+ carry to get to the water. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure it's free IMHO, since there is a good boat ramp on the lake I wouldn't think anyone would bother with the cartop launch. On the other hand, there is a self-serve launch fee at the boat ramp, maybe $5 tops, maybe more now, dunno.

I use to fish the lake during May for nice sized bluegills. They are still there in high numbers but the size has slow decreased over the years to the point that the bluegills rarely get up to keeper size.
    Last edited by HJS; 07-18-2014, 08:39 PM.
    Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

Here is where the car top launch is. Last time I was there it was $5 to launch. There is a little box you put an envelope into. The little grass trail isn't bad if you have a cart.

https://goo.gl/maps/Yr5Mt

You can launch free where the kayaks and jon boats are rented from as well inside the park. But it's a much longer walk.

https://goo.gl/maps/ylpFM

Comment

I too have always wanted to try to yak fish here. Which site is the best opportunity for largemouth? Also, if anyone wants to meet up to fish here during the week in the morning, I'd love to learn from your experience...let me know.
        Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by mytmouse View Post
          You can launch free where the kayaks and jon boats are rented from as well inside the park. But it's a much longer walk.
          I'm not sure that is correct; about a month ago I took my eldest to Black Hills and we rented a tandem kayak. I asked the staff about using mine and was told I can only launch at the bridge or at the boat ramp.

Comment

The boat permit ($ 5.00 daily and I think $ 75.00 for the season) is required for any private boat on that lake. At both the ramp and the hand launch near the bridge there is a drop box for the daily permit.

The two launch spots are only a 10 minute paddle apart. So there is no advantage location wise of one launch over the other in terms of getting to good fishing spots. The one advantage to the ramp area for me is that I frequently fish after work on the weekdays there. If you launch from the ramp you can stay on the water until one hour past official sunset (appropriate navigation lights for your boat are required to be on the water after sunset). If you stay past sunset at the bridge launch you may encounter a "constable" you believes you need to be out of there at sunset.

That extra hour past sunset can be really good during the dog days of summer.

Also, one night per month during the summer you can fish there till midnight. August 13th and September 10th are the two remaining night fishing nights.
            Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Working...
            X