Stripers galore for Mark's birthday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stripers galore for Mark's birthday

Raptor (Terry) and I helped Mark celebrate his birthday this morning by catching nearly 100 stripers. We launched my Scout center console "Small but Perky" from Sandy Pt at 8:00 am.

F.jpg B.jpg

The waves from the north were larger than we had expected, giving us some bounce and spray as we checked out various locations along the bridge. We were unsuccessful getting a bite there.

We motored south to several points of structure where I found stripers last year. The first location proved to be the hot spot. In roughly an hour, we each caught several dozen stripers to 16" on light tackle. All were caught on jigheads and various small soft plastics (12 Fathoms Fat Sam, Buzz Tail, and Gambini Grub were the hot lures). Having given our rods and arms a good workout already, we moved on to check out four other spots. One of these spots was the iconic Thomas Pt lighthouse. Terry and I did not do well there, but Mark pulled out several fish, including the top fish of the day at 22".

D.jpg

On the way back we cast to a shallow oyster bottom and caught a few more stripers. By then, the seas had flattened making our ride back to Sandy Pt much more bearable.

Our surprising find today was a two-person paddleboat floating in the middle of the bay in deep water. It is not as seaworthy as Mark's Hobie Revo or my Native Slayer Propel, but the price could have been right for someone looking to get into the pedal-power game.

J.jpg

This has been a frustrating year for me so far when fishing from my Scout. Today came as a welcome change. We covered about 30 miles, far more than three older guys could manage in our kayaks and caught plenty of fish.

Photo credit -- all photos came from Mark's camera. I took the shot of him next to the lighthouse -- Mark took the others.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Happy Birthday Mark ! May you get slimed on many more !

Comment

Great report John! Sounds like you got into the 2011 class stripers that I've been reading about in mid-Bay activity.

Seems like most if not all the stripers are staying in the Bay's main stem, as opposed to the tribs. Any speculation as to when they wil start coming into the rivers? All those peanut bunker pods are getting larger by the minute.

Comment

Great report and Happy Birthday Mark!!!
        2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
        2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
        2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Fantastic trip report John! The photos make the report even more interesting.

Comment

Wow, 100. What a birthday present! Thanks for the report.
            2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
            2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
            2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

John and Terry,

Thank you for making the first day of my 60th year a memorable one.

Also, thanks to all for the birthday wishes.

I may be 60 but catching fish makes me feel like a kid again. I was reminiscing today about a birthday exactly 50 years ago when I turned 10 and was catching bluegills in a mountain lake on a family camping trip. I felt the same excitement and enthusiasm today as I did then. That’s what fishing and spending the day with two very good Snaggedline friends can do for you – make you feel forever young.

Again, thank you!
              Mark
              Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
              Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
              Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Old age is already setting in -- you are starting your 61st year, not the 60th.

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                John and Terry,

Thank you for making the first day of my 60th year a memorable one.

Also, thanks to all for the birthday wishes.

I may be 60 but catching fish makes me feel like a kid again. I was reminiscing today about a birthday exactly 50 years ago when I turned 10 and was catching bluegills in a mountain lake on a family camping trip. I felt the same excitement and enthusiasm today as I did then. That’s what fishing and spending the day with two very good Snaggedline friends can do for you – make you feel forever young.

Again, thank you!
                John Veil
                Annapolis

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Oh no!

That's the start of my 7th decade.

Now I do feel old.

I think I need to go fishing again.
                  Mark
                  Pasadena, MD

Comment

Congrats guys. Happy B-Day Mark.

Outback 2015
                    Maui

Comment

I returned this morning to the location that produced the most fish for us yesterday. Three of us caught another 80 stripers this morning in about 2 hours. We also caught 2 bluefish and had several other soft plastic tails cut off. Now if I could only make these fish grow several inches overnight.
                      John Veil
                      Annapolis

Comment

Happy birthday Mark! What a nice way to spend your birthday!
                        Laura (aka zeebyrd)
                        Perception Pescador Pro 100

Comment

Laura,

Thank you.

It was indeed!
                          Mark
                          Pasadena, MD

Comment

Nice work John and crew, any time you can catch 80-100 fish is a great day on the water!
                            Shane
                            Hobie Outback

Comment

Working...
                            X