best pfd vest for yak fishers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• best pfd vest for yak fishers

I would like to purchase a vest that allows free range of motion and as little bulk as possible. Your recommendations are appreciated.
    Deadwood (Dave)
    West River & Miles River
    2-Old Town Dirigo 12's,2-Old Town Vapors 10ft, 1-NWSlayer Propel13.
    If you dont go, you wont know, and you got to have bait in the water.

I like the Solaris F Spec.
    http://www.yakangler.com/clothing-re...ris-f-spec-pfd

Comment

It would depend on your comfort level in the water and how much risk your willing to accept.

I use the belt style inflatable: http://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-m...pack--14897409

But I am an exceptionally strong swimmer and frequently like to jump out of the yak and swim around. This kind allows me to swim freely and re-enter the kayak easily. Plus it doesn't limit any range of motion while fishing.

Comment

I highly recommend the NRS Chinook. My friend has one, I have one, there are lots of pockets that you can use for everything. The back is cut high so it does not bulk you out when you are sitting in your yak and that is a major plus. It gives your arms full range of motion and its comfy There is a good YouTube video by austin kayak that you can watch. Chad Hoover from Kayakbassfishing turned me on to this PFD and kayak fishing in general. I purchased a OD green one from River and Trail Outfitters in Harper's Ferry they had a good price or you can get them online.

Comment

I have an Astral that I like, but I don't think they make it anymore. If I ever replace it I have my eye on the Kokatat Bahia Tour.

2015 Viking Profish Reload

Comment

I would add another recommendation for the NRS Chinook. I have one and like it a lot. The back sits high so it will fit over any seat and there are plenty of pockets and attachment points on the front for necessities. I have a knife, pliers and line cutters hooked on the front. I still have room for some gear as well. I keep worm hooks and at least a bag of worms that I am currently using in the pockets for ease. The vest is comfortable.
            WS ATAK

Comment

Nrs chinook. I have one and love it!!!
              Donnie

2012 Malibu Steath 14
              2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Love my NRS Chinook. Doesn't get in the way and forget it is even on.
                Peggy

Native Slayer Propel 12.5 Max
                Cobra Explorer

Comment

IF you go to ACK to get your new PFD use this Discount Code FB152141. It will give you 15% off one item.
                  2013 Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

OK folks thanks very much. Berto, that is extremely awesome of you. Thanks!
                    Deadwood (Dave)
                    West River & Miles River

Comment

I have a Stohlquist, one zippered mesh pocket on the front. The Chinook looks good, but I don't "wear" tackle, so the only thing I need a pocket for are my fishing license and cell phone.
                      Hobie fleet:
                      2017 Quest 13
                      2015 Outback
                      2014 Outback

Comment

Cowpokey, I understand. To be honest, I yak in rivers mostly and admit to sometimes not wearing my vest, although it is with reach. With the new boat and tackling larger rough water possibly, I have to change my thought process.
                        Deadwood (Dave)
                        West River & Miles River

Comment

I actually started wearing my pfd more. Obviously when I white water kayak it's always on, but fishing I rarely wore it. I'm a strong swimmer, so I don't feel like I "need" to wear it, especially now that the water is warm...but I think it's a good idea on big water.
                          Hobie fleet:
                          2017 Quest 13
                          2015 Outback
                          2014 Outback

Comment

The best PFD is the one that you will wear.....
                            I have a manual inflatable stearn's pfd and a old town kayak/canoe vest that works well with the seat on my Kayak.
                            You can pick the manual inflatable style at West marine for $77.00 I am sure that Bass Pro has them for around the same price. The Cabelas near me only carries the Automatic one.

Remember it's not a good one unless you have it on since the kayak can float away from you faster then you can swim...

The inflatable one I forget that I have it on.

Comment

Stohlquist Fisherman High Back...

The zippered pockets are nice... Convenient access to tools.
                              But my tools are usually not in the pockets, because I never put anything back.
                              I just drop stuff when I'm done with it. I always do it. It's like my subconscious says,
                              "Ok, done with pliers ... Won't need those again. Drop."

I usually end up jamming everything in to the tiny storage hatch in front of me.
                              Including double treble hook crank baits. I know this is a painful calamity waiting to happen.
                              Chris

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 160i
                              Lowrance Elite-4 HDI

Comment

Working...
                              X