Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What does it take for a man to catch a SH in Maryland?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
    Wow, I did not know that. Do VA licenses work in MD too?
    Yup

Comment

Originally posted by Shady View Post
      Yea but he was clearly a novice angler the way he was grabbing the top of the rod trying to break the tip off when he finally caught one...lol
      Yea but he went snorkeling and he didn't see any snakehead either

Comment

Yea but he was clearly a novice angler the way he was grabbing the top of the rod trying to break the tip off when he finally caught one...lol
        It's amazing how many people fishing on TV are not really "anglers". The guy that hosts Lunkerville "lipped" a walleye...smh.

Originally posted by Snakehead Hunter View Post
        Yup
        Statewide or only border waters?
        Hobie fleet:
        2017 Quest 13
        2015 Outback
        2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
          Wow, I did not know that. Do VA licenses work in MD too?
          This is incorrect, there is reciprocity on tidal water, but not freshwater. You are allowed to fish va tidal waters with a md saltwater license up to the fall line. The fall line is where they consider it to change from tidal to freshwater. For example, on occoquan you are allowed to fish below the 95 bridge with a md license
          Ryan
          Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
          Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

If you have fresh water license in MD, it will work in VA as well
            I think that is only on the Potomac and some tributaries ........ Am I wrong

Comment

Originally posted by Memory Maker View Post
              I think that is only on the Potomac and some tributaries ........ Am I wrong
              I probably should double check before fishing in MD with my Virginia licence

Comment

I probably should double check before fishing in MD with my Virginia licence
                I was looking at the VA website, I think it's only the border waters....like the Potomac.
                Hobie fleet:
                2017 Quest 13
                2015 Outback
                2014 Outback

Comment

Yup
                  I think VA lic work on the tidal Potomac up to some bridge. I think the other guys shore is a different matter. I'd hate to find out what the home of the $1000 speeding ticket would do if I was standing in VA with a bucket of fish and a MD lic.
                  PigPen - Mt Airy
                  Native Mariner 12.5

Comment

Haha, I caught that too!

I also like the quote, "I hung my F$%$%ing lure in a tree" Yup, we've all been there.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                    Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                    Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                    Kokatat Pro Staff
                    Torqeedo Pro Staff
                    Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                    Alan

Comment

Yep... a couple of my frogs are in the trees near the Mattawoman 225 launch.

And for reciprocity between MD and VA: Mattawoman is considered tidal up to the 225 bridge, so VA tidal license should cover it.
                      2013 Yellow Hobie Outback
                      Kayak Fishing Blog - Cymbula Piscator

Comment

Snakeheads are much more aggressive protecting their fry- big spinner baits, noisy surface lures, frogs, and crankbaits all work at times, but I have thrown everything in the tackle box at big snakeheads clearly visible and got nothing- not even a follow...just depends- sometime they smash a lure, sometime they just suck it in and sometimes they have lockjaw and won't hit anything- if you see little schools of fry and a mama snakehead throw a big surface bait and watch the action-
                        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Potomac River Fisheries Commission Sport Fishing License Reciprocity Guidelines

http://www.prfc.us/sports/Reciprocity_Guidelines.html

Taking Mattawoman Creek below the 225 bridge as an example. That section would be a "MD tributaries above Rt. 301 bridge up to demarcation lines", the demarcation line on Mattawoman being the 225 bridge (upstream of the bridge is non tidal, below the bridge would be tidal). The following licenses cover that section of Mattawoman Creek.

Virginia Fresh Water
                          Virginia Salt Water
                          PFRC
                          Maryland Bay Sport

note: a Maryland "Fresh Water" License does not cover this area

So these licenses would allow you to fish the area circled in red:

Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Originally posted by Turtle135 View Post
                            Potomac River Fisheries Commission Sport Fishing License Reciprocity Guidelines

http://www.prfc.us/sports/Reciprocity_Guidelines.html

Taking Mattawoman Creek below the 225 bridge as an example. That section would be a "MD tributaries above Rt. 301 bridge up to demarcation lines", the demarcation line on Mattawoman being the 225 bridge (upstream of the bridge is non tidal, below the bridge would be tidal). The following licenses cover that section of Mattawoman Creek.

Virginia Fresh Water
                            Virginia Salt Water
                            PFRC
                            Maryland Bay Sport

So these licenses would allow you to fish the area circled in red:

Thanks for clarifying. I know I can fishing tidal portion of Potomac with via fresh water, I assume MD will work but I guess not.

Also, I can fish any MD portion of Chesapeake bay & its tributaries with my VA salt water.

So, Cowpokey can go SH fishing without buying new license.

Comment

Originally posted by Turtle135 View Post
                              The following licenses cover that section of Mattawoman Creek.

Virginia Fresh Water
                              Virginia Salt Water
                              PFRC
                              Maryland Bay Sport

WTF?

So someone from out of state can use their Freshwater License to fish a MD tidal tributary, but a resident can't?

image.jpg
                              2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
                              Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Originally posted by buzz View Post
                                WTF?

So someone from out of state can use their Freshwater License to fish a MD tidal tributary, but a resident can't?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12661[/ATTACH]
                                That was the reason I assume MDer can fish with fresh water license.

Comment

Working...
                                X