Browns Bridge at Rocky Gorge 7-12-14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Browns Bridge at Rocky Gorge 7-12-14

Went to Rocky Gorge a couple weeks ago for the 1st time and launched at Scotts Cove. This past Saturday we decided to give the Browns Bridge area a try.
    This was actually the 2nd time we wanted to launch there. When we launched at Scotts cove a couple weeks ago were trying to find the bridge ramp and kept getting lost and went to scotts cove instead.

This time I got the address from a paper that I got at the visitors center at brighton dam with address's of all the launch points of Triadelphia & Rocky Gorge. Put it in my GPS and headed there. Followed the route to 220 Ednor road. When we get there, there's nothing in sight but a tiny stream on the side of the road next to a farm...lol. Was thinking someone was trying to tell me something and they don't want me going there. Pulled out a map and saw that ednor road going the opposite direction than my gps took me turned into browns bridge road right at the bridge and also saw the water on the map. Turned around and finally get there. Not the 1st time my GPS got me lost. Started to drive down to the ramp with my truck and kayak trailer in tow. Get half way down and realized there's no place to turn around down there and a short kayak trailer is a PITA to back up.

I stopped and walked down to the water which was shallow, muddy and pretty scummy at the ramp. Was about to leave and go to scotts cove again when a couple kayaking pulls in. I talked to them and they said the water clears up pretty quick heading to the right of the ramp. They also said there was fast moving water heading the other way so enter at my own risk. Then the lady shows me a scar on her neck and chest where she met a tree going down the fast water and didn't navigate a turn very well. OK we are going to the right!! I don't think the hobie and rapids would get along...lol.

Long story short........ Ended up having a very nice trip. Caught 6 LMB. 2 of them I caught on top water at a very cool place that we landed on for a lunch break.

Here's a video of our trip...........

Last edited by CAGE RATTLER; 07-16-2014, 01:36 AM.
    2013 PRO ANGLER 12
    2013 Cuda 12

Great video! What size kayak does your wife have? Does she have any trouble with maneuvering it by herself?
    Michael
    2016 Hobie Mirage Outback
    Ocean Kayak Prowler 13

Comment

Originally posted by Mbae View Post
      Great video! What size kayak does your wife have? Does she have any trouble with maneuvering it by herself?
      It's the west marine pompano 120 and she loves it. It's 12' long. It's fast, tracks great and is very easy to maneuver. Not the most stable kayak but she's never flipped in it.
      2013 PRO ANGLER 12
      2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Cage Rattler, I hate to admit that your rock island has been a pit stop for me on many a trip. haha.

Comment

Originally posted by CAGE RATTLER View Post
          It's the west marine pompano 120 and she loves it. It's 12' long. It's fast, tracks great and is very easy to maneuver. Not the most stable kayak but she's never flipped in it.
          I have the same boat and agree with all of this.

I have never launched at Browns Bridge as it looks to be a muddy mess most times I have driven by. I really wish RG was open year round, I would love to go there more often but other, easier spots lure me away most of the year.
          Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
          Lime Slayer 10

Comment

When the water level's low, that entire area looks like mud pie
            Olive Trophy 126 - Moored at Rocky Gorge Scott's Cove

Personal Records at Rocky Gorge
            Largemouth Bass: 21 inches
            Northern Pike: 24 inches
            Crappie: 12 inches
            Channel Catfish: 18 inches

Comment

Sad part is I never did get back there. Scotts cove or the launch by the dam is much easier with a trailer.
              2013 PRO ANGLER 12
              2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Working...
              X