Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fort Armistead Park Hours? Gate?

Hi all,

What are the hours for Fort Armistead Park? Is there a park gate? The park is at the west end of the Key Bridge on the Patapsco. Fort Armistead is a Baltimore City park and I can't find any information about the park on the city website.

I've landed at Fort Armistead before. Some of us want to do a dawn launch to beat the afternoon thunderstorms and want to make sure the park is open that early.

Thanks

Lisa

Supposedly it's open dusk till dawn but I've never seen the gate closed... I personally don't really like to be there after dark but have on a few occasions coming in late. People just sit in their cars doing who knows what...
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

http://dnr.maryland.gov/boating/pdfs...imoreCity3.pdf

Lisa, here is some info from DNR,

Comment

Thanks. That poor park has a great location and it sure needs some love.

A bunch of us kayaked to Fort Armistead from Fort Smallwood back in 2012 on the morning of the last Starscape Music Festival there. It was an 18,000+ person overnight rave and they were fencing off the waterfront not to keep us out, but to discourage ravers from going swimming at 3 in the morning. The chief organizer was rocking that Johnny Cash look - distinguished silver hair, all black clothing - and told us it would be one vast walk of overindulgence the next morning. Kids passed out under the trees, hauling their friends home, looking lots worse for wear.

The roadies setting up the (seven?) stages were maybe ~25-30 years old and shaking their heads at the younger generation. Hula hoop stands, food stands, body painting, swank VIP area in the old fort . . . They were doing sound checks for the opening acts and the water *vibrated*. I could feel my sprayskirt shaking like a drumhead. It was BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! from the drums 5 miles down the Bay.

Going from a 6,000+ person event prior to 2012 to an 18,000+ person event in 2012 didn't work out well. They had so much fun that Baltimore City and Anne Arundel County agreed that Starscape was not going to happen at Fort Armistead Park again.

Lisa

Comment

I live near there and have never seen that gate closed people fish along the shore all night
          D Hawk
          Green Malibu X-Factor stolen dream
          Sand Malibu X-Factor The replacement

Comment

Yes open all night. Go with others and don't leave valuables in sight in your car.

Comment

Working...
            X