Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CBBT & Gargatha Sat/Sun 12-13 Jul

CBBT 7-12-14, Sat

Met HokieDJ and we were on the water after 8 am. Nice day, mostly sunny with low winds. Current was a bit tougher later part of the afternoon.

Targets were sheeps, spades and flounder. I jigged some using a tandem rig with bucktail and Gulp, but I mainly soaked frozen sand fleas and clams. We went out to the first island. We could not hook up with any sheep or spade. Kept hooking up with croakers and toads. Listened to the marine radio; it seemed like a slow day. The yakers and boaters I saw seemed to catch only croakers, toads and sea bass.

My catch:
    397 croakers
    Dozen toads (one hooked by the tail ?!?!)
    One keeper flounder (16.5")

Gargatha 7-13-14 Sun

I couldn't help the timing, and was on the water after 7 am and caught the incoming. When I reached the beach area, the current was at a good pace going north. I tried the drift, but it was a haul coming back. I gave up after two short passes. Even when I called it a day and headed back in during the afternoon; it was bad timing. I caught the outgoing tide, not to mention a good wind pushing against me. It was tough working the drifts. In fact, I didn't want to fish the drift because it would be too much work getting ground back. I spent most of my time fighting the current rather than fishing. I did manage a bunch of croakers and one short flounder using bucktail/Gulp though.

Around noontime there was a helicopter flying low around the beach area. It made several passes over a 2-3 hour period. "What is going on?," I said, and continued fishing.

Later, I headed back in. All of a sudden I heard a loud steady thundering blast. I looked over my right shoulder into the sky and saw a rocket zooming up. I could see the bright white rocket blast. It took several seconds before I realized I should take a pic.

Using x-y axis in the pic, starting from the lower left, you can see the white dot at x=8, y=5. I've also attached an enlarged pic of the rocket.

I later learned it was a rare Antares rocket launch from the Wallops Flight Facility about 10 miles away. Cool. It was the first time I ever saw a rocket launch.

When I was about halfway in battling the outbound tide and headwind I stopped to rest at the channel side. I saw a bunch of fiddler crabs on the mud bank. "This is excellent sheepie bait," I thought.

Anyone try to keep these things alive? Probably not worth catching and raising them for the next sheepie fishing trip. I guess I'd rather just stop by a bait shop. Anyway, they're sort of small, but you can see their claws in the pics.

Happened to meet Hanover at the ramp. He didn't catch any flounder either, but he had his son (9 yrs?) on the Hobie PA out there. His son really enjoyed the launch.

Well, it was my second trip here, and I'm going to have to learn how to better fish this place. Bad timing on the tide flow, not to mention the wind.

CBBT pics
    Attached Files
    Last edited by tufnik; 07-14-2014, 11:03 AM.
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Gargatha pics
    Attached Files

Comment

397 is a lot of croaker!! Croaker is my fish for 2014. I can't seem to catch much else.

Cool rocket... if it's not an air show, it's a rocket for you.
      Mike S.
      Hobie Outback
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
      3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Wow is right, how did you even keep track of 397 Croaker!

Regarding the fiddlers, I know that some people catch them, vac seal, and freeze for later use.
        Ryan
        Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Originally posted by Shady View Post
          Wow is right, how did you even keep track of 397 Croaker!

Regarding the fiddlers, I know that some people catch them, vac seal, and freeze for later use.
          Good idea. Next time I'll bring a shovel, catch them, and then freeze those fiddlers. On second thought, is a shovel the best way to get them?

The number is a joke. My point, too many croakers caught...lol....

Well, Chex, if one can't catch fish, one must catch enjoyment with what's in the air...heli and all ....lol......

Comment

I was out there at cbbt Sat and Sun also. I think I talked to you a couple times arriving and leaving. I was the guy in the orange shirt and red ride 135. Pretty much same for me and the people I was fishing with on Sunday...tons of croakers and toads all weekend. One right after the other on the pilings. Also got some tiny black seabass and a sea robin. I did see a couple togs chasing up the tiny seabass next to the island.

I tried all kinds of bait for spades and sheeps--blue crab, sand fleas, fiddlers, chowder clams. Current was way crazier Sun afternoon than Sat. I did see a couple guys pull up some spades on Sat. They said they were catching them on sandfleas. Also fished cbbt the Sat before this and it was the same thing with tons of croakers and toads.

Fished Monroe this morning before heading back and just got more croakers, but they were really tearing through my gulp and paddletails like crazy. I also saw a pretty good sized shark hanging next to the rocks outside the island. Gave all my leftover sandfleas, fiddlers and chowder clams to some guys over there so at least they didn't all go to waste. I never really bother freezing them. Sandfleas are easy to dig and live fiddlers are cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by tufnik View Post

The number is a joke. My point, too many croakers caught...lol....
              I was about to say! LOL!!
              -Mustafa
              ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
              2016 Hobie Outback
              2012 Hobie Revolution 13
              "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

It was great seeing you out there Efren. My son did enjoy the launch, but I think he also had as much fun if not more just beach combing and finding shells for mom. The horseshoe crabs everywhere were pretty cool as well out on the sandbar. We managed a few croakers, but the day was more about getting out and exploring and seeing the launch live.

See you around!
                Hobie Fishing Team - Central VA Local Pro
                PowerTeam Lures
                Froggin' For Bass and Other Kayak Adventures - a blog about my life in a kayak to date

Comment

Fiddlers aren't too bad to keep alive...don't stink as much as other craps, and easy to maintain.
                  I know a local va beach guy who keeps his fiddler alive for 1 or 2. His method is to keep in cool place like large cooler with bunch of broken and bent gray egg trays. Keeps cool temp by keeping his cooler in shades when not fishing and moist the trays with water. As for food, every day or so give slice of bread and lettuce. If I remember correctly it's important to remove deceased ones or they rot and kill others.
                  Freezer tends to soften up shells and falls off too easy, in my experience.
                  Best,
                  2012 Red Outback
                  2015 Blue Outback

Comment

Working...
                  X