August Meet and Greet...St. Mary's River @ Dennis Point Marina

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DOGFISH View Post
    Is there an address for the lunch spot? I have been looking at charts of the area. Is trolling good around the drop offs and contours, or will I need to go out to the Potomac? I have never fished this area before. Also, is it ok to get to the camp ground early, like before dawn?

Forecast is for a 9mph SSE wind. What affect will that have on the area? Still looks like the middle to upper St. Marys river should be alright.

I am looking forward to this, a new area to fish.
    Wry

Looking to follow someone down to m&g from annapolis area or even perhaps severna pk... not too familiar with southern md. I dont drive slow so I will not be holding u back
    Thanks folks
    Tom
    Tom Brown
    Pro Staff: Balloon FisherKing, Catch 5 Baits, Century Rods, Smith Optics.
    2012 Hobie PA 14'
    Ocean Kayak Tident 13
    2012, 2014, 2015, CBKA Tournament 1st place Crab Div.

Comment

Originally posted by DOGFISH View Post
      Is there an address for the lunch spot? I have been looking at charts of the area. Is trolling good around the drop offs and contours, or will I need to go out to the Potomac? I have never fished this area before. Also, is it ok to get to the camp ground early, like before dawn?

Forecast is for a 9mph SSE wind. What affect will that have on the area? Still looks like the middle to upper St. Marys river should be alright.

I am looking forward to this, a new area to fish.
      Address and GPS coordinates for Dennis Pt Marina

46555 Dennis Point Way, Drayden, Maryland 20630
      GPS: 30.476479, -92.932849

Lunch Spot is in the marina right next to the parking...ideal. Good food, reasonable prices. Excellent help.

There are lots of drop offs for trolling throughout the area. The St Mary's River has a well defined edge. If you are looking for especially steep drop offs look at(see map earlier in thread) windmill point, Rosecroft Pt and Preist Pt Marker where things drop from a few feet to 25ft precipitously. I can't print the chart but you can view it at http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/12233.shtml

As for the wind, SSE is not the best direction, but as you said, it is easy to find a lee shore in this stretch of the St Mary's River. 9MPH should be no problem. You can always fish the creek if you don't like the bump
      14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
      2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Thanks, that is the chart I was looking at.

Comment

Guess it depends on what weather report you want to go with. Weather Underground is predicting less wind... between 2mph and 5mph in the morning until noon. And if I'm reading this right, the wind will be in the same direction as the incoming tide. If they're right its going to be a fantastic day.

WU-20140809.jpg
          http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/...847443&sp=KNUI
          2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
          Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Originally posted by buzz View Post
            Guess it depends on what weather report you want to go with. Weather Underground is predicting less wind... between 2mph and 5mph in the morning until noon. And if I'm reading this right, the wind will be in the same direction as the incoming tide. If they're right its going to be a fantastic day.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12941[/ATTACH]
            http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/...847443&sp=KNUI
            Yes That is what I am counting on!!!! But St. Mary's River is definitely a place that can be fishable in a wide range of weather conditions...which makes it a great place for a meet and greet!

Comment

Just curious will there be any flounder floating around? Just wondering if I should rig up a rod for some flounder drifting. Also is anybody planning on launching at 6-6:30 and don't mind me tagging along?

Comment

I'll be bringing minnows and hope to land a flounder but it won't likely be my target species. I am launching at 7 with another buddy. You can join us but I'm guessing you want an earlier start.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II
                Live for today, and fish often...
                2014 Pro Angler 14
                St. Jerome Creek, Dameron

Comment

Originally posted by daolai View Post
                  Just curious will there be any flounder floating around? Just wondering if I should rig up a rod for some flounder drifting. Also is anybody planning on launching at 6-6:30 and don't mind me tagging along?
                  none to speak of.....but minnows do work for perch and trout if the trout are here

Comment

Kevin. Just got back in town a few hours ago. I will be late but I will be there. FYI see you on the water.
                    2015 Outback
                    2016 Outback LE

GO PATRIOTS !!!

Comment

So as I gear up tonight any thoughts on tackle and what to target. I've been to this location many times before and had luck on gulp swimming mullet bass assassins and spoons. Any other thoughts as to what I should bring. Am I missing anything?
                      Yellow Pompano 120

Comment

Should be a great day!! I'll see you in the morning!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Cody View Post
                          So as I gear up tonight any thoughts on tackle and what to target. I've been to this location many times before and had luck on gulp swimming mullet bass assassins and spoons. Any other thoughts as to what I should bring. Am I missing anything?
                          you have it all!

Comment

Great. See ya tomorrow!
                            Yellow Pompano 120

Comment

I left early. Had an early dinner with my wife. Had a great time. 3 new fish for me. Croaker, rockfish and some little guy that used for bait. If not for dao, I would not have caught those. Had a twofer of croakers. I caught a crab too. 3rd cast near the bank. Lil sucker jumped on my gulp minnow. Waited till I had him next to the yak them promptly pinched my minnow in half, flipped me the middle claw and dropped back in. Thanks for hosting Kevin. The new yak looked great.

Croaker: http://youtu.be/p6USLB2jfhU
                              Hobie Outback
                              Stand Up Paddle Board
                              Pelican 100

Comment

Great time at the M&G. Thank you Kevin for hosting a fantastic event.
                                Mark Harrison

Hobie Outback - Yellow

Comment

Working...
                                X