No announcement yet.

Chsp 7/5 - 7/6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been using snap swivels for decades. Trusted them. Never had a problem. So convenient. I heard a lot of people say they don't trust them or use them anymore. I didn't listen. Heck, it worked fine for me. "What are the chances of it failing on me," I said. I continued to use them. Then one day at CBBT I was jigging for flounder. I got a big hit. At the time, big bulls were said to be roaming around. I didn't see it, but it must have been a bull. Anyway, I fought it hard. Then suddenly, the line went loose. Broken swivel. I still used snap swivels after that event. After all, it can't happen again. Many months later. Same thing. A big fish. Again, a broken swivel. I was pissed. That's why I now don't use them.

Funny how our experiences work. We have to wait until a failure, or more failures, then we learn our lesson.
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
      I've been using snap swivels for decades. Trusted them. Never had a problem. So convenient. I heard a lot of people say they don't trust them or use them anymore. I didn't listen. Heck, it worked fine for me. "What are the chances of it failing on me," I said. I continued to use them. Then one day at CBBT I was jigging for flounder. I got a big hit. At the time, big bulls were said to be roaming around. I didn't see it, but it must have been a bull. Anyway, I fought it hard. Then suddenly, the line went loose. Broken swivel. I still used snap swivels after that event. After all, it can't happen again. Many months later. Same thing. A big fish. Again, a broken swivel. I was pissed. That's why I now don't use them.

Funny how our experiences work. We have to wait until a failure, or more failures, then we learn our lesson.
      Can I ask which snap swivel you were using and what size? Just curious as to if you are using one that is too light.
      The best time spent is time that doesn't feel like it was spent at all. When it's worth it you'll give everything to do it all over again no matter what the cost.

Comment

Originally posted by dson05 View Post
        Can I ask which snap swivel you were using and what size? Just curious as to if you are using one that is too light.
        Not sure. Maybe 3 or 5? Not sure what brand either because I use a variety of brands. I think the test force is suppose to be over 50 lbs. The hook part slips off the tab. Seem like quality varies a lot. When the swivel broke, it didn't seem like I was pulling a lot of pull force. That's why I was surprised. I've been using #5 coastlock swivels since and the hook part doesn't slip off. I've fought rays and pulled hard snags, and the swivel never broke.

I also started to use fast snap swivels, and these are pretty good too. What kind of swivels do you use?
        Last edited by tufnik; 07-10-2014, 08:01 PM.

Comment

Thanks! I live on the Western shore of the Chesapeake Bay near West river and couldn't figure out what that stood for. Other than the Ocean how is the fishing in the rivers and ponds in Delaware. We are thinking about relocating to Delaware at some point in the next 2 years.

Comment

Not sure. Maybe 3 or 5? Not sure what brand either because I use a variety of brands. I think the test force is suppose to be over 50 lbs. The hook part slips off the tab. Seem like quality varies a lot. When the swivel broke, it didn't seem like I was pulling a lot of pull force. That's why I was surprised. I've been using #5 coastlock swivels since and the hook part doesn't slip off. I've fought rays and pulled hard snags, and the swivel never broke.

I also started to use fast snap swivels, and these are pretty good too. What kind of swivels do you use?
            I believe It's a size one. I use heavy ones because lighters ones can break. 20140712_201219.jpg
            20140712_201244.jpg

This is the snap swivel I use and the barrel swivel at the top of the leader was what broke.
            The best time spent is time that doesn't feel like it was spent at all. When it's worth it you'll give everything to do it all over again no matter what the cost.

Comment

Good to use strong swivels, but I find the drag on my reels is about 10-15 lbs anyway. Swivels should be able to handle that.

Hey, look what happened this past weekend. I was casting a one ounce bucktail in my usual moderate style. As I swung forward, the rig broke off. The rig by chance landed on my lap. What the heck is going on!?!? Can't win...lol.... Maybe it's no-swivel time?!?!?
              Attached Files

Comment

I have used that swivel and ive had the same issue. Never like that type of snap swivel. If you want to risk it you should give the ones i use a shot. The ones you use i noticed that after a few uses the inside of the barrel corrodes so the barrel falls apart. Understandable if you opt to go without from here on out. I can give you a couple to try if youll be in Delaware for the tog season and trigger. I wont be there this week but ahould be there some time next week

Comment

To me swivels are just like buying line, I can't justify cheep line and risk loosing a good fish not to mention a expensive lure. We tend to look at the size of the swivel and think "that's a lot of money for that little thing" but in the long run it is worth the extra bucks. I learned the hard way also!

Comment

^^^ that picture right there is why I swore off swivels of all types!
                    Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

Can someone tell me the best quality swivel?

Are ball-bearing swivels better? Maybe they don't fail as often as the regular barrel.

Comment

The snap swivel i showed you has never broke ever. The barrel swivel on that leader i showed was what broke.

Comment

Can someone tell me the best quality swivel?

Are ball-bearing swivels better? Maybe they don't fail as often as the regular barrel.
                          Hey Efrin,

I'm not sure if it's the "best quality" swivel, but I've been recommended them and have used them for over a year without any issue. I really like the Bill Fisher barrel swivels, size 7 (75#). They are really small for the # rating. I couple them with the 50# tactical angler power clips for a small frame easy on easy off lure change. My line usually breaks before these even budge...

Bill Fisher also has the Krok ball bearing swivel which seems to be really good as well but more expensive...
                          -Mustafa
                          ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
                          2016 Hobie Outback
                          2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                          "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Working...
                          X