Gulp Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gulp Problems

I bought some gulp that are too stiff and have no action. Anyone know how to soften them?

On the flip side - some soft ones got creased in the tail and have no action - any suggestions?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

I recently bought a bag of gulp that were bloated. Looked like they soaked up all the juice and got fat and stiff. I tried the microwave on one, that didn't end well. But I just cut them in half and seems like they are working ok.

Comment

I have had some that get very soft and do not stay on a jighead very well. I have had other ones for which the tail does not flop around much. The first type are frustrating because they slide down the hook. The second type do not attract fish very well.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Dont buy your gulp if it I'd in a bag. Get the tubs.
        Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

I had a tub leak and spill in my car trunk. Smelled like shite for a year.
          Olive Trophy 126 - Moored at Rocky Gorge Scott's Cove

Personal Records at Rocky Gorge
          Largemouth Bass: 21 inches
          Northern Pike: 24 inches
          Crappie: 12 inches
          Channel Catfish: 18 inches

Comment

Originally posted by perchy View Post
            I had a tub leak and spill in my car trunk. Smelled like shite for a year.
            +1 only it leaked in my tackle box. It took forever to get it to stop smelling up the garage.

John
            John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
            MK Endura Max 55 backup power
            Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

Originally posted by Pinch View Post
              Dont buy your gulp if it I'd in a bag. Get the tubs.
              The stiff ones came in a tub - first batch I bought that way.

I think I'll go back to the zip lock package so I can feel them while in the bag so I know how soft/stiff they are.

Comment

ask / tell Berkley about it on their facebook page.

Comment

Yeah +1 on letting Berkley know. I bought a big tub of the 4" swimming mullet for Jbay and the tails acted like someone starched them!! LOL I mean they only fluttered if I REALLY burned them. Which is odd because holding them you wouldn't think they would do that. Metroman had some that we looked at side by side in the water and the action was like night and day! I called them and they asked for me to send a sample(1 swimming mullet), so I did. Made sure I sent it certified and called them after a couple of weeks of not hearing anything and they didn't have it. Grrrrr Customer service did me right though and sent me 2 replacement tubs. Haven't tried these out yet, but I hope they aren't like the first tub.

They have had quality issues in the past... there is a dedicated thread on Stripers Online about it if you care to search. So I am guessing that they just had a bad batch. This is my first negative experience with the tubs so I'll just call this one an anomaly. I'm interested to see if the stiff ones catch though... I hate to throw an entire tub away!

Comment

Originally posted by mytmouse View Post
                    ... the tails acted like someone starched them!! LOL I mean they only fluttered if I REALLY burned them.
                    That's the same thing I'm dealing with.

Thanks for the advice - I'll continue to try for help from Berkley.

Comment

I bought some Gulp LOckers. They are way more durable than the original cheap plastic containers with a serious lid seal. Also got 5 bottles of recharge liquid. Works for me and no more cracked plastic jars that leak all over he place.

Store out of heat and sunlight.

http://www.amazon.com/Plano-Liqua-St.../dp/B003FYF4TU
                      Deadwood (Dave)
                      West River & Miles River
                      2-Old Town Dirigo 12's,2-Old Town Vapors 10ft, 1-NWSlayer Propel13.
                      If you dont go, you wont know, and you got to have bait in the water.

Comment

Berkley customer service said to take them out of the tub and soak them in mineral water. I'll let you know in a day or two if it worked.

Comment

Hmmm... interesting! Please let me know! I wonder if that would impact the scent absorption at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Skidsteer View Post
                            Berkley customer service said to take them out of the tub and soak them in mineral water. I'll let you know in a day or two if it worked.
                            mineral water? Like Perrier or club soda? Did they ask you to add any Gin?.....
                            14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                            2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Originally posted by kevinfry View Post
                              ... Like Perrier ...
                              That's what I'm going to try ...

Might have to hit the gin too ... but I'll let you know ... if I can remember

Comment

Working...
                              X