Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Native Watercraft Slayer Propel 13 I pulled the trigger.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is a good tutorial on how to maintain your propel drive. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwPOIK259lg
    Peggy

Native Slayer Propel 12.5 Max
    Cobra Explorer

Comment

Originally posted by Romo View Post
      Unless native made some significant changes to their drives you can expect saltwater to corrode the internals in short order. There is a big thread on another site showing a breakdown of the drive after some hard saltwater use and it wasn't pretty. Rust everywhere, sezied bearings, etc. The drives aren't sealed, they can't handle grass and they draft 2 feet. If all you fish is deep open freshwater ponds then this may not be an issue for you otherwise I'd think twice
      Let me comment of the several points that were raised. I think these comments are second- or third-hand and are not necessarily portrayed accurately.

1) You can expect saltwater to corrode the internals in short order.. One individual (The Riddler) had significant rusting issues with his Propel and proceeded to document it very thoroughly on the Native Owners Group website and elsewhere. A few other Propel owners reported the same issue. It does not seem to be an issue with most Propels. Remember that the Slayer Propel 13 was introduced only last November. Since its introduction, Native had made several rounds of revisions to the Propel to improve the materials and functionality. This is what would be expected from a responsible manufacturer.

My own Slayer Propel 13 was among the earlier ones produced -- I see no evidence of corrosion or rusting on the metal components. I hose off the metal surfaces after each trip in Bay water -- that is all.

I suspect that any new kayak model with complex engineering and moving parts introduced by any manufacturer, including the other pedal-drive company, will experience some unanticipated issues over the first six months -- those issues are subsequently corrected or mitigated as those models continue production. That is one downside of being the first on your block to own a new model.

Native technical staff immediately communicated with the individual who had rusting issues and learned from those issues. The current version of the Propels that are shipping with the new kayaks have made improvements.

2) The drives aren't sealed and they can't handle grass - I don't know what the poster intended here. The drives are indeed sealed. The propeller gear cartridge that transmits the rotation from the drive shaft to the propeller is sealed. It screws in snugly. The gears around the pedal crank shaft are sealed also.

Any type of mechanical propulsion system (propeller or Mirage fins) will encounter fouling in heavy grass or weeds. If you plan to fish regularly in such areas, you should be prepared to use a paddle when in the heavy grass and use your pedal power when away from the grass. On that count, the Slayer Propel paddles very easily.

I had one day last spring in the Severn where my propeller picked up excessive floating grasses. Initially, I could do a quick pedal in reverse to clear the vegetation. Later, that was insufficient to clear the grasses. In less than 30 seconds, I loosened the bungees on the holding plate, and tilted the Propel in the air. I quickly removed the grasses, lowered the Propel back into the hole, secured the holding plate, and resumed pedaling.

3) They draft 2 feet - That is incorrect. The Slayer Propel requires about 15" of water depth (more or less depending on the weight of the user and the gear). For the places I fish, the only time I need to go shallower than that is the immediate launch and retrieve. I have a paddle with me or can just glide into slightly deeper water. If I do want to fish in extremely shallow water, I can quickly tilt up the Propel and paddle where I need to go.

I have freely acknowledged my role as a member of Native's Pro Staff team (an unpaid position). I have tried to answer questions objectively about Native products without making negative comments about competing brands. It is frustrating for me when I see other snaggedline members making negative remarks about Native products when, for the most part, they have never owned or used them. There are many good kayak manufacturers and many unique models in the market place. Choosing the right model for each user should be based on user preference, cost, features, etc. and not on gossip that you read on an Internet chat board.
      Last edited by J.A. Veil; 08-21-2014, 11:13 AM.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Any idea when they started shipping the new ones with improvements? They have one in stock where I am heading this weekend, but I am assuming this is likely an older one without the improvements mentioned.

Comment

Gossip would be saying that the sound of the propel drive attracts great whites. I don't think posting a link to someone else's experience that has pictures to support their claims would be gossiping.
          Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

Originally posted by Romo View Post
            Gossip would be saying that the sound of the propel drive attracts great whites. I don't think posting a link to someone else's experience that has pictures to support their claims would be gossiping.
            Great white love seals, I would assume they attract to Hobie fins. Just put a bleeding fish on the stringer to attract shark, and the fins to seal the deal!! Lol

Comment

Originally posted by Snakehead Hunter View Post
              Great white love seals, I would assume they attract to Hobie fins. Just put a bleeding fish on the stringer to attract shark, and the fins to seal the deal!! Lol
              [sarcasm]A new species of shark has been discovered, it looks like a great white and has been named the "Hobie Shark".[/sarcasm]

I get a kick out of y'all when something gets rolling, it spreads all over the board. lol
              Hobie fleet:
              2017 Quest 13
              2015 Outback
              2014 Outback

Comment

Thanks for the feedback Mr Veil. I am a happy owner.

On sharks,

This shark didnt fair as well as others though. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J5Tfb_...ature=youtu.be
                Last edited by Deadwood; 08-21-2014, 12:54 PM.
                Deadwood (Dave)
                West River & Miles River
                2-Old Town Dirigo 12's,2-Old Town Vapors 10ft, 1-NWSlayer Propel13.
                If you dont go, you wont know, and you got to have bait in the water.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
                  [sarcasm]A new species of shark has been discovered, it looks like a great white and has been named the "Hobie Shark".[/sarcasm]

I get a kick out of y'all when something gets rolling, it spreads all over the board. lol
                  Yea. I'm bored at work and just being pedal kayak hater, but before you know it. I'll join the dark side haha

Comment

Originally posted by Snakehead Hunter View Post
                    Yea. I'm bored at work and just being pedal kayak hater, but before you know it. I'll join the dark side haha
                    Kahn, you should have said something on Monday - I would have swapped kayaks with you and you could have fished from my Propel to get an idea if you would like something like that. Next time we fish together you can test it out if you like.
                    Peggy

Native Slayer Propel 12.5 Max
                    Cobra Explorer

Comment

Originally posted by Pc4sun View Post
                      Kahn, you should have said something on Monday - I would have swapped kayaks with you and you could have fished from my Propel to get an idea if you would like something like that. Next time we fish together you can test it out if you like.
                      I appreciate that. I and JohnE have a similar situation. And I think Propel is the best fit now but I'm in no hurry to upgrade.

Comment

I've had my propel for over a year now and fish salt a handful of times with minimal cleaning. I just did the grease mnx and it run like a champ. I have some surface rust on the bearings outer case and have started treating it wd40. I think I will get a bottle of cleaner especially for salt that should help. Might look into a wax or grease.
                        I've read the other thread and I think native will eventually release a new set of caps that might be needed.

As for reliability, I think its built like tank and you pedal as hard as you want without a chain or sprocket breaking off.

I recently made a plastic washer that might prevent grass from winding into the prop. I will let everyone know how it goes this weekend.
                        PigPen - Mt Airy
                        Native Mariner 12.5

Comment

i may smear plumbers jelly on mine after a good cleaning and keep applying it from time to time. It is for lubricating metals around water. I have coated other metals with penetrol and prevented rust also.
                          Deadwood (Dave)
                          West River & Miles River
                          2-Old Town Dirigo 12's,2-Old Town Vapors 10ft, 1-NWSlayer Propel13.
                          If you dont go, you wont know, and you got to have bait in the water.

Comment

Well, instead of coming back from the beach with a new slayer...I came home with a broken tooth instead and my kayak money is going down the drain for another crown in my mouth. Man, I am getting old. I guess I would like to hold off anyway and see what they are doing on improving the parts on the propel drive and make sure I get one of the new drive units.

Comment

Hey Guys. Saw this on google. 1st off I am not affiliated with native, just a kayak fishing dude. Sold my Slayer earlier this summer after buying a center console to chase palegics. Kept the 2014 Revo as my main platform. Long story short I ended up buying it back! I missed it. Since changing the bearings in the propel drive there have been zero issues. No signs of rust and no seizing. I saw a month ago Native changed the design. Happy to see it. Hope they put in quality stainless steel bearings and sealed this drive! As of 2014, these drives are not sealed. You tumble in the salt water with the propel drive, you better open it up and clean it top to bottom or you will have major problems down the road. Thankfully I have not submerged my drive.

For the record, I took care of the propel drive from day one, rinse, did what was required and the bearings failed quickly in the salt. Grease will only delay the inevitable, bearing seizure. You can find an inexpensive Stainless Ball Bearings for as little as 30 bucks for the set. If you have the tools it's an easy swap that will not void the warranty, according to Native.

Respectfully,

The Riddler
                              Boston, MA

Comment

Working...
                              X