Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Native Watercraft Slayer Propel 13 I pulled the trigger.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How does the slayer propel paddle? I really like it and still trying to decide between it and the Hobie outback at this point. The one issue I have with the propel is I do spend up to maybe 20-30% of my fishing time on flats and I understand getting grass wrapped around the propeller can be a real pain. Some reviews said the drive is also really loud for stalking fish on the flats, but somebody was mentioning putting moleskin where the drive contacts the hull to quiet it down or something like that. If I can paddle the slayer somewhat close to how my ride 135 paddles, I would be happy just pulling up the drive and paddling those areas. I am really looking to own just one kayak for everything at this point and this could be it if it really paddles like a normal kayak.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnE View Post
      How does the slayer propel paddle? I really like it and still trying to decide between it and the Hobie outback at this point. The one issue I have with the propel is I do spend up to maybe 20-30% of my fishing time on flats and I understand getting grass wrapped around the propeller can be a real pain. Some reviews said the drive is also really loud for stalking fish on the flats, but somebody was mentioning putting moleskin where the drive contacts the hull to quiet it down or something like that. If I can paddle the slayer somewhat close to how my ride 135 paddles, I would be happy just pulling up the drive and paddling those areas. I am really looking to own just one kayak for everything at this point and this could be it if it really paddles like a normal kayak.
      The Slayer Propel 13 paddles very well. Earlier this summer, I arrived at the ramp and realized I had left my Propel Drive at home. My choices were: a) spend 45 mins to return home and then back to the ramp, or b) use the kayak with my paddle. I chose to do b). I trolled about 5 miles with the paddle then worked some shorelines to catch perch. I had another day when I was 1.5 miles from the ramp with a brisk wind in my face. My back had stiffened so I was uncomfortable pedaling at that point. I tilted the Propel up and easily paddled back to the ramp.

There is an integral rudder on the Slayer Propel so controlling direction is easy, even when under paddle power. The Slayer Propel is designed for standing for those anglers who choose to do that (I do not stand in any kayak at my weight and age).

Regarding noise, I do not hear much noise from the Propel other than a whooshing sound as the propeller moves through the water.

If you want to try out my Slayer Propel 13 for a test ride, contact me.

The new Slayer Propel 10 will begin production shortly. It is 3 ft shorter but weighs about 28 lbs less (57 lbs hull weight) than the Slayer Propel 13. I ordered one this week -- I expect to get it during October, and will be happy to show it to interested persons after that. With its shorter length, it may not be as useful for open water trolling, but will be delightful for sheltered waters and for handling on land.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Thanks, I might take you up on the offer. And yes, using as a platform for sightcasting on the flats is one of the big things for me,and this is one of the only peddle drive kayaks out that will allow you to do that.

What size paddle are you using on the slayer? I just bought a very expensive 240, but sort of regret not getting the 250. I guess the 240 is ok on a 33" wide kayak. I think my ride is 31.5" and 240 is perfect.

Comment

john you seem to know alot about the propel so heres a question for you. i own the slayer 12, i love it for its intended purpose. i fish some midsized ponds but its main use is on the susky above harrisburg ant the upper potomac smallie fishing. so my thought was to maybe get a propel so that when drifting you could point the bow into the current and slowly pedal to hold position while you fish the stop slip downstream a little and repeat.when i come to a very shallow riffle raise the drive paddle through if need be then lower the drive when the water deepens. what are your thoughts on the propel for this application or for those types of waters in genral?

Comment

I'm in a similar situation like you JohnE. I like to fish shallow for SH and occasional fish the bay as well. I have to settle for a paddle kayak. Propel is interesting, the reverse is awesome for live line. Let me know which kayak you end up choosing and how it turn out please

Comment

Unless native made some significant changes to their drives you can expect saltwater to corrode the internals in short order. There is a big thread on another site showing a breakdown of the drive after some hard saltwater use and it wasn't pretty. Rust everywhere, sezied bearings, etc. The drives aren't sealed, they can't handle grass and they draft 2 feet. If all you fish is deep open freshwater ponds then this may not be an issue for you otherwise I'd think twice
              Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

Originally posted by Romo View Post
                Unless native made some significant changes to their drives you can expect saltwater to corrode the internals in short order. There is a big thread on another site showing a breakdown of the drive after some hard saltwater use and it wasn't pretty. Rust everywhere, sezied bearings, etc. The drives aren't sealed, they can't handle grass and they draft 2 feet. If all you fish is deep open freshwater ponds then this may not be an issue for you otherwise I'd think twice
                Please put up a link, I'm probably not the only one that would be interested in reading it.
                Hobie fleet:
                2017 Quest 13
                2015 Outback
                2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by Romo View Post
                  As a Slayer Propel owner, the saltwater issue is good to know. It will make me pop the gear plate and make sure it is properly lubricated. As far as not handling grass, the only problem I had was at Smallwood in the reeds, which are fatter than grass, and I knew I should have lifted the propel up when going through the reeds but wanted to see how much it could take. I had no problem in the grass. It would be interesting to have a propel next to a Hobie Outback in the same depth of water with grass/reeds to compare the tolerance.
                  The draft on my Slayer Propel is 12 inches with the prop down; three without the prop up.
                  Peggy

Native Slayer Propel 12.5 Max
                  Cobra Explorer

Comment

Yes, I would like to see more info on the saltwater problem. I am a saltwater guy, probably 90% of my fishing is done in the salt. I was getting ready to pull the trigger on one of these since I can get one right away, but I guess I might have to hold off. Might have to just be a giant topwater shark plug in a hobie or stick with paddling if the saltwater issue is really that bad.

I also thought the propel stuck down beneath the hull way to far, but it does not seem to be much worse than the hobie. But, on the other hand, you can flutter the fins in shallow water with the mirage apparently.

Comment

Might have to just be a giant topwater shark plug in a hobie or stick with paddling if the saltwater issue is really that bad.
                      There are lots and lots of Hobies on the salt with sharks around everyday, I'd wouldn't be worried about going out in mine. Hanging a stringer of bloody fish over the side might be a bad idea though.

I also thought the propel stuck down beneath the hull way to far, but it does not seem to be much worse than the hobie. But, on the other hand, you can flutter the fins in shallow water with the mirage apparently.
                      Fluttering the fins absolutely works.
                      Hobie fleet:
                      2017 Quest 13
                      2015 Outback
                      2014 Outback

Comment

http://www.newenglandkayakfishing.co....19482/page-11
                        http://www.nativeownersgroup.com/for...e-salt-water!=
                        http://www.stripersonline.com/t/9316...-propel-13/165
                        http://www.yakangler.com/how-to-padd...t-propel-drive

Here is some more info I found so far. Apparently people have been taking out the bearings and replacing them with some that can hold up to saltwater. This is not good news, I am not looking to spend 2k on kayak that was built with poor quality parts and then have to start tearing it apart and replacing stuff myself...which probably also voids the warranty.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
                          There are lots and lots of Hobies on the salt with sharks around everyday, I'd wouldn't be worried about going out in mine. Hanging a stringer of bloody fish over the side might be a bad idea though.

Fluttering the fins absolutely works.

There are definitely large sharks some places I fish, I have seen them myself. I just never thought about the fins on the mirage attracting sharks...stringer of bloody fish as a teaser and artificial seal fins sitting under you and you have got the recipe for one heck of topwater shark plug with you as the surprise treat sitting on top. I see guys dangling their feet over the side all the time, but you will not catch me doing it. That is exactly how the guy in Hawaii died recently fishing out of his hobie.

Comment

No problems thus far. If so, back to NW she goes. NW is aware of those concerns and replies they are isolated issues but we will see.
                            So far, I couldnt be happier. I hope to be able to say that come this time next year.
                            Deadwood (Dave)
                            West River & Miles River
                            2-Old Town Dirigo 12's,2-Old Town Vapors 10ft, 1-NWSlayer Propel13.
                            If you dont go, you wont know, and you got to have bait in the water.

Comment

Here is the thread I was referencing. I hate to come off as bad-mouthing native but I figured it was worth passing along. I owned a manta ray 14 for 5 years and loved it but went with a hobie because of things like this (fast forward to page 12):

http://www.stripersonline.com/t/9316...ayer-propel-13
                              Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

I was just talking to one of the dealers and she thinks the corrosion issues are mainly from poor maintenance and she has not seen any real issues with the propel. Thinking about getting it this weekend.

Comment

Working...
                                X