DIY kayak lighting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY kayak lighting

I wanted something simple and pretty much self contained. I did not want to run wires, drill holes or glue LEDS in. I came up with a pcv rod that will drop into my rod holders on my crate. Sorry for the poor video. I have a mediocre camera. I build and fly RC foam airplanes and have a bunch of lipo batteries and LEDs. I plan on using a 5000mah 3s pack, normally used to fly my quad copter. It should last long enough. I will have several other light sources for back up. The plan is to go out for a few hours and attempt to catch larger catfish. If that doesn't work, then I will still be able to start fishing earlier in the morning for them.

DIY Kayak lighting: http://youtu.be/dfFkybx4wIY

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
    [URL][ DIY Kayak lighting: http://youtu.be/dfFkybx4wIY URL]
    Hobie Outback
    Stand Up Paddle Board
    Pelican 100

I like it!
    Hobie fleet:
    2017 Quest 13
    2015 Outback
    2014 Outback

Comment

Two afternoons of building. Maybe 5 hours invested. Lots of watching TV instead of running wires. Wire connectors would have been faster, but I wanted everything inside the tube, so I soldered everything. If I build another I would use 1 1/2 pipe and connectors to speed up the build.
      Hobie Outback
      Stand Up Paddle Board
      Pelican 100

Comment

Dude, that thing is pretty sweet, I've never seen a light set up like that. Excellent ingenuity and good craftsmanship. Nice work!

Comment

Originally posted by clm View Post
          DIY Kayak lighting: http://youtu.be/dfFkybx4wIY
          Good Googly Moogly! That thing is bright!

If you start selling them, put me down for one.
          2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
          Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

This is awesome!

Sent from J-Boogie Yak Fishing Headquarters
            Josh

2014 Wilderness Systems Tarpon 120

Comment

Thanks guys. Depending on work, I will test it out tonight.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
              Hobie Outback
              Stand Up Paddle Board
              Pelican 100

Comment

I like it. I have some leftover led rope light and leftover led striplights that i could use. But dont u need a transformer for it?
                Donnie

2012 Malibu Steath 14
                2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Originally posted by clm View Post
                  I plan on using a 5000mah 3s pack, normally used to fly my quad copter.
                  Quad Copter? Cool....

You need to bring that thing to a M&G and capture some aerial shots.

Comment

Originally posted by Donsail68 View Post
                    I like it. I have some leftover led rope light and leftover led striplights that i could use. But dont u need a transformer for it?
                    My LEDs are 12 volt DC. I connected them straight to the LIPO battery. I've used them on countless airplanes, also for power outages. I usually have a couple of batteries charged. Power goes out, I plug them in.

If yours are 120 volt AC, then yeah, you would need a transformer, which means more equipment and hassle. I buy most of my LEDs on ebay, in longer strands. They are the weather proofed versions (covered with silicone) and you can cut them in pre-marked intervals. Walmart has been carrying more and more set ups for car use. They work well too, just cost a little more....

the below video are walmart leds for the cars....a little bit too much flash for the kayak....

Hobie Outback
                    Stand Up Paddle Board
                    Pelican 100

Comment

hmm now I wonder if I can just simply connect the led strips directly to a 12 volt battery thus bypassing the transformer. Do I need to worry about the amps? Should I need a fuse?
                      Donnie

2012 Malibu Steath 14
                      2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Very cool bro!

That quad coper is sweet... people in the adjoining neighborhood probably reported a UFO sighting! LOL
                        -Mustafa
                        ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
                        2016 Hobie Outback
                        2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                        "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Originally posted by Donsail68 View Post
                          hmm now I wonder if I can just simply connect the led strips directly to a 12 volt battery thus bypassing the transformer. Do I need to worry about the amps? Should I need a fuse?
                          Maybe... yes... probably not...

* You need to know the forward voltage of the LED strip. If they were powered by the transformer you mention, what is the output of the transformer?
                          * You need to know the total current (amps) requirement of the strip. This will tell you how big your battery has to be.
                          * A fuse should not be necessary, but might be a good idea for a marine application.

Comment

Nice light sabre!

Comment

That thing is awesome! Where will you keep the little battery pack while on the water?
                              How much did the parts cost?
                              Ryan
                              Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                              Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Working...
                              X