No announcement yet.

Methods of transporting your Kayak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No your not Josh. I too have placed two yaks on my wifes Highlander using yakima mounts.
    Deadwood (Dave)
    West River & Miles River
    2-Old Town Dirigo 12's,2-Old Town Vapors 10ft, 1-NWSlayer Propel13.
    If you dont go, you wont know, and you got to have bait in the water.

Comment

KevinFry, YOur truck looks like me last time I was headed over to Pea Island Sanctuary a few summer ago. I love yak fishing those back bays and sounds.
      Deadwood (Dave)
      West River & Miles River
      2-Old Town Dirigo 12's,2-Old Town Vapors 10ft, 1-NWSlayer Propel13.
      If you dont go, you wont know, and you got to have bait in the water.

Comment

Pea island.....chexking that out

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
        14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
        2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

This is how I started transporting mine since I got rid of my old truck....I miss you truck!

ride 1.jpg

ride 2.jpg

Comment

If you have a sedan and cannot afford a trailer, this method is seriously the best out there. I recently built these load tops and my shoulder muscles do no work at all. It is all a push motion from here on out.

You will need yakima hully rollers or thule saddles, ect.
            If anyone would like my configurations/measurements on this, let me know and I can help you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBcPgDx5kJY
            Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

MrJB
              Your not the only one

Comment

Loaders are great MrT.
                Might I suggest trimming your zip ties though. Over time they might be bad for your paint job.
                2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
                Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Yes, i agree

Comment

I've been car toppping mine too.

IMG_1210.jpg

Up front its a Warrior Light Bar with a 2x2 bolted to it.
                    In back its the Reese EZ Canoe Loader I got at Walmart for about $45.

But car topping days are numbered. I just picked up this trailer today, which will be my new means of transporting my yak.

IMG_1220.jpg
                    2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
                    Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Bump on old thread...

I used to car top my yak using a yakima roof rack with yakima TLC saddles. I misplaced one of my saddles so I decided to try out some foam blocks and tie it down with some cam-lock straps.

Wow.... foam blocks are way cheaper and way easier than the saddles.

What I use is:

Four 12" foam blocks ($20 from Amazon)
                      Four 13' camlock straps ($10 from Walmart)

Two straps are used to hold down the yak on the roof and the other two are to hold down the yak from the stern and bow (front and back of car).

Using four blocks allows this roof system to be compatible with many different yak hull designs (single keel; twin hull, etc.) and no scratching occurs on the hull.

Outside of the cost, the big difference I've found is the time necessary to prep the car roof for loading/unloading my yak was so much faster with the foam. Just slap them on the roof rack, and take them down when you get to your launch site/home. Using the saddles took much longer to install and remove and they tended to spin when you loaded/unloaded the yak.

I also use a suction cup roller that I temporarily put on my roof when loading/unloading ($35 on Amazon) which makes it easier to put up/remove the yaks without fear of scratching the edge of my roof.

B/c my yaks are relatively low weight (under 60lbs), I can easily get them on and off my roof with no issues.

My only concern is that the straps are not as thick and heavy duty as what the yakima saddles used so I'll most likely change those out with something more rugged. However, I just traveled 300 miles using these straps without any issue.

smithmal
                      Last edited by smithmal; 11-01-2017, 12:10 PM.
                      smithmal

2017 Native Ultimate 12 (Lagoon Blue)
                      Bending Branches Angler Pro Plus Paddle

2016 Old Town Twin Heron Tandem (Mango)

2012 Nova Craft Pal 16' in Royalex-Lite (Burgundy)

1990 Radisson 12' (SportsPal)

Comment

Originally posted by smithmal View Post
                        I also use a suction cup roller that I temporarily put on my roof when loading/unloading ($35 on Amazon) which makes it easier to put up/remove the yaks without fear of scratching the edge of my roof.
                        Even cheaper is a rubber backed kitchen rug draped on the back of the car. I think I found mind at Costco for $10. I went with one that wouldn't absorb moisture to keep it from getting stinky.
                        "Fish on a Dish" - 2017 Jackson Big Tuna
                        Jackson Cuda 12

Comment

My only concern is that the straps are not as thick and heavy duty as what the yakima saddles used so I'll most likely change those out with something more rugged. However, I just traveled 300 miles using these straps without any issue.

smithmal[/QUOTE]

I have used these straps for over a year now, and I have to agree they aren’t the best but I always keep 4+ in the trunk of my car as back ups or spares. I recently replaced my original set this past summer. The old set now is used to suspend my kayaks under the deck. Great cheap way to get a kayak to the water. All my trips are over an hour each way, plus a few trips over 3 hours. They work just fine. I will upgrade them at some point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          Desert Camo- Moken 14
                          Tan- Tarpon 140

Comment

I use a Boonedox T-Bone bed extender on my pickup. It is very easy to load and unload.

On my minivan I use a Thule Slipstream. There is a roller on the back that allows you to easily slide your kayak onto the pads.
                            IMG_20161104_133007.jpg
                            Last edited by TomyTek; 11-07-2017, 10:43 PM.
                            Tommy
                            2020 PA12 360 - 2019 and 2016 Hobie Outback
                            Check Out My Fishing YouTube Channel - TomyTek Outdoors
                            https://www.youtube.com/c/tomytekoutdoors

Comment

I'm in the market for a used car/truck as a 3rd vehicle. It will either be a pickup truck or some type of SUV. I have been towing my kayak using a utility trailer, but can see the big advantage of a pickup truck bed. Anyone here use a Chevy Avalanche to transport their kayak?

Thanks,

Comment

Working...
                              X