X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Methods of transporting your Kayak

THis really caught my eye.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...electedIndex=0

I have a Ram 1500 with two addracks (1" square tubular racks front and back). Cover each with pool noodle and can transport two 12 foot kayaks without issue. When I buy the Native Slayer Propel 13 I intend to transport it on the racks also I hope. Hold down with rubber straps,cams,ratchet straps depending on travel distance, etc.

But that Rack and Roll is sweet and versatile.

What are your transport methods?
    Attached Files
    Deadwood (Dave)
    West River & Miles River
    2-Old Town Dirigo 12's,2-Old Town Vapors 10ft, 1-NWSlayer Propel13.
    If you dont go, you wont know, and you got to have bait in the water.

Upside down, tied to the top of my Jeep(s).

Hobie fleet:
    2017 Quest 13
    2015 Outback
    2014 Outback

Comment

Nice WSSC ramp photo Cowpokey.
      Cool Jeep too.
      I use a utility trailer most of the time, with Malone Sea Wings.

Comment

Dave,
        First thought is, if you are a retiree in training as I am, I assume you are over 45 years old. Lifting a 92 lb kayak that high on to the rack is a lot of work! I have two slayers that I transport. At first I bought a bed extender for my short bed Toyota Tacoma. Still a lot of work, so I need something that does not turn what is suppose to be a fun day into a day of angst over not being able to lift the kayak into the truck. I bought a Malone Microsport trailer with sea wings (package mpg461). This one is considerably less $$ than the Yakima and is quite sturdy. I bought it from Austin Kayak, which was the cheapest but was was a nightmare.
        Peggy

Native Slayer Propel 12.5 Max
        Cobra Explorer

Comment

Thanks for the tip on the Malone Peggy.

Now I am going to re-think selling the Utility Trailer possibly. I have strapped the yaks to the top front and back stake body edges after filling the trailer for vacation trips. I could probably do some customization and come up with a set up. Usually I have my son with me but he wont always be around.
          Attached Files
          Deadwood (Dave)
          West River & Miles River

Comment

I'll post some photos of my utility trailer this evening or tomorrow.

Comment

For trips of up to an hour driving time, I slide my kayak in the back of the minivan and tie it off. For longer road trips, I use roof racks.

Last Friday I needed to transport 3 kayaks from Annapolis to Gaithersburg. Here are 2 photos of my solution.

001.jpg 002.jpg

For those considering a trailer, make sure that trailer parking is allowed at your favorite launch spots (for example, trailers are not allowed at Jonas Green or at the Tucker St ramp).
              John Veil
              Annapolis
              Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

You had the van packed for sure John. Glad you mentioned the trailer restrictions at some locals. I didnt think of that.

Perhaps a Hully Roller mounted to my rear rack and a set of saddles in front would work for me when I am solo. But being a shorty may not be in my favor. Push the yak forward until it rests on the saddles is what I am thinking.
                Thanks for the reply.
                Deadwood (Dave)
                West River & Miles River

Comment

I'm past retirement training.

So I needed something to help me lift my kayak to the roof of my Toyota Sienna van.

I purchased a device from Yakima called the Show Boat.

Here's a link: http://www.yakima.com/shop/water/loa...st/showboat-66

Here's a photo of it on my van in the normal traveling position:

A.jpg

Here are two photos of it in its extended position:

B.jpg C.jpg

It fit nicely on my Toyota factory installed roof rack with no drilling or installation difficulty. Yakima's website will tell you which factory racks by auto make and model that the Show Boat will fit.

The Show Boat is simply a wide roller that extends over the back of the van. I extend the roller and lift the front of my kayak to the roller and allow it to rest there. Then I go to the back of the boat and lift and push it forward to the foam supports on my factory installed roof rack. The Show Boat carries most of the weight of the kayak during the trip up and during removal.

When kayak is at rest on the roof rack it sits upon the foam supports not the Show Boat. I cinch it down with two ratchet straps and off I go.

The Show Boat not only saves the back of my van from damage during loading and unloading but it has also saved my back. I could not lift either my Revo or Coosa by myself to the roof of the Sienna which is a tall vehicle. But I can do so easily with the Show Boat.

Trailers are indeed a good option for the heavier kayaks that would be a strain to lift to the top of a vehicle even with mechanical assistance. But there are some launches that do not allow trailer parking. In those cases car-topping is the way to go.
                  Mark
                  Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                  Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                  Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I built a truck bed extender and storage area for my small truck last summer and so far has done well. It does require that I lift up 1/2 the kayak at a time. I do on the other hand require a cart since I can load and unload right in the water on most ramps so far. The rudder / skeg catches on the rack letting me re-orient to the front to pick it up and push it into the bed. IMG_3749.jpg
                    PigPen - Mt Airy
                    Native Mariner 12.5

Comment

Originally posted by Deadwood View Post
                      You had the van packed for sure John. Glad you mentioned the trailer restrictions at some locals. I didnt think of that.

Perhaps a Hully Roller mounted to my rear rack and a set of saddles in front would work for me when I am solo. But being a shorty may not be in my favor. Push the yak forward until it rests on the saddles is what I am thinking.
                      Thanks for the reply.
                      That's exactly what I do/use. Hully rollers and saddle. Easy as pie. Use a bath may to protect the rear of your vehicle from scratches.

That show boat system looks nice as well. I hadn't heard of that before.
                      <insert witty comment here>

Comment

+1 on the Microsport trailer. I'm ready to go fishing in 5 minutes. I just hook up the trailer, throw in the rods and I'm gone. As far as not having room for trailers at some launches, I unhook the trailer and put it in the parking space next to my Jeep. At the end of the season I fold up the trailer and lean it against the wall.

Comment

here is my Colorado with a stealth 14, Malibu2 and a Pompano 120
                          14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                          2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

I have been using a converted jet ski trailer set up for four yaks. It has recently been converted back to two yaks. IMG_20131020_090031_984.jpg It's pretty convenient, rig the yak up away from the ramp, off load like a boat and go park. Float the yak back on the trailer when finished. I recently purchased this bed extender for those locations w/o a ramp. bed extender.jpg This method is a pain by comparison. I would much rather use a traier and tow with my camry.

Comment

Man, am I the only one with a car vs a Truck/Van??

I use the JayLow by Yakima. Works great with the Yak I've been borrowing, and will work fine with the Yaks I've been looking at choosing from. Itll also allow me to put two Yaks side by side in the event that I wanted to do a drift (pending total weight). I have a feeling that I will decide to use saddles, or maybe even trunk space, in the late future when I decide to get a much heavier Yak than what I am looking at getting now.

Sent from J-Boogie Yak Fishing Headquarters
                              Josh

2014 Wilderness Systems Tarpon 120

Comment

Working...
                              X