Hobie Cart Keeper - Repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hobie Cart Keeper - Repair

The cart keeper pulled apart a couple weeks ago. Not sure why, Cowkid2 said, "hey this thing fell out", when we were loading up. I wasn't sure what it was until we got home. I never locked the cart into the scupper before.

The bungie pulled out:

Pop the cap off the bottom of the leg where the cart keeper is:

I used a 1/4" drill bit to make a new hole all the way through, then put the bungie through and seat it in the grove in the bottom of the plastic plug:

Pop the stainless steel pin back in from the bottom. I tapped it in with my bench vise holding the pin, and tapped it together with a dead blow:

Filled the hole with a hot glue gun, and pulled the knot down in and flush.

Push the bungie back down trough the leg, and grab it with some needle nose pliers:

Tie it up with the knot or hitch of your choosing. I used and over hand knot on the bottom and a half hitch above it. Then put the plug back in...good as or better than new.

Hobie fleet:
    2017 Quest 13
    2015 Outback
    2014 Outback

I like it! Mine broke on me. Well melted it when i re-welded the cart back together. I will be stealing your idea.
    Jason

-2017 ivory dune pro angler 12' with micro power pole, Lowrance EliteTI7, boonedox landing gear
    -2015 olive outback with Lowrance Hook7,micro power pole, seadek kit, micro power pole
    -Orange Heritage featherlite

Comment

I've had 3 or 4 carts now but the bungee never broke. The pin tends to fall out, which a new press fit in a vice can fix. Nice shots man. Thanks for the post. I'm sure I'll need this fix soon.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Kokatat Pro Staff
      Torqeedo Pro Staff
      Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
      Alan

Comment

Hope it works for y'all. It's not stealing when it's shared on a forum.
        Hobie fleet:
        2017 Quest 13
        2015 Outback
        2014 Outback

Comment

Maybe you can just pull the pin out, put the knotted bungie in, then tap the pin back in the cap? I tried pulling the pin out of the cap first, it didn't want to budge until I went after the top of the cap with the drill bit.
          Hobie fleet:
          2017 Quest 13
          2015 Outback
          2014 Outback

Comment

Thanks for the details and the pics! My pin constantly falls out. I've been pressing it back in and gooping it. If it falls out again I'm using your tip!
            -Mustafa
            ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
            2016 Hobie Outback
            2012 Hobie Revolution 13
            "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Originally posted by AbuMasgouf View Post
              Thanks for the details and the pics! My pin constantly falls out. I've been pressing it back in and gooping it. If it falls out again I'm using your tip!
              Maybe you could scuff the pin with some emery cloth, then use an adhesive to lock it in to the cap. Scuffing it will give the glue some "traction".
              Hobie fleet:
              2017 Quest 13
              2015 Outback
              2014 Outback

Comment

Thanks bro. I'll try that first if it falls off again
                -Mustafa
                ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
                2016 Hobie Outback
                2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

I'd be tempted to use Gorilla Glue, that stuff is crazy strong when the surfaces are prepped and clean. Takes about 24 hours to cure. Probably need to use a knife to clean it up after, since it expands some while it's curing.
                  Hobie fleet:
                  2017 Quest 13
                  2015 Outback
                  2014 Outback

Comment

thanks for the idea, my pin and bungie fell out about a week ago!
                    sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the tip. Just bought a hobie cart. Will keep an eye on that.

Comment

I remembered this post and since mine just came apart, wanted to look it up since Cowpokey posted pics of how it's connected. Thanks
                        2013 PRO ANGLER 12
                        2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Originally posted by CAGE RATTLER View Post
                          I remembered this post and since mine just came apart, wanted to look it up since Cowpokey posted pics of how it's connected. Thanks
                          Nice resurrection! Been a year since the repair, mine is still holding together after more than 30 trips since the glue gun was implemented.
                          Hobie fleet:
                          2017 Quest 13
                          2015 Outback
                          2014 Outback

Comment

Working...
                          X