Native Slayer Propel 13 is my next addition to the fleet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
    I never pedaled a Hobie so I cannot give you a personal comparison between the two models. Here are some reactions to your four points.

1. From pedaling side-by-side with Mark in his Revo, we seem to be exerting similar amounts of effort to go the same speed. The Slayer Propel paddles well in situations when the Propel is not used. I have heard that the Outback does not paddle well.
    2. The Slayer Propel has a somewhat delayed turning response -- this can be aided by leaning in the opposite direction of the turn (not intuitive, but it does work). The Propel gives strong thrust when needed. You can apply thrust in both forward and reverse to move toward and away from obstacles/structures.
    3. The Slayer Propel cuts waves fine, but not as smoothly as does my Manta Ray 14. I don't notice any particular hull slap, but I am not worrying about that. Under heavy seas, the Slayer Propel takes a bit of water over the bow -- this water is quickly channeled into the cockpit where 6 oversized scuppers drain it out.
    4. The Slayer Propel 13 is heavier than the Outback (85 lbs with seat and Propel removed) compared to 75 for the Outback. The new Slayer Propel 10 has a projected hull weight of only 60 lbs. The rudder position works well on the water but is sometimes in the way when moving on land. I now load my Slayer Propel backwards. I lift the rear of the kayak into my minivan and slide it inside, then tie it off. The weight does not sit on the rudder. If I needed to load it on a roof rack, I would do it the same way.

If you would like to take a test ride in my Slayer Propel, we can schedule a time to do that.
    Thanks for comparison, John. Yep, the Outback does not paddle well. Ok, will end up loading the thing backwards I guess. Will certainly want to try it at the next opportunity when you're out there. Or I may fish this weekend at Lewes, so will try to hook up with DPS.
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Originally posted by Snakehead Hunter View Post
      I'm jealous of all the hand free kayak, but I need the exercise so I'm sticking with Trident for now.
      Once you go peddle you won't want to go back to paddle. You do well in your Trident though. If you're fishing shallow a lot, less than 1.5 feet (half a meter), you wouldn't want either peddle drive...mirage or propel. Unless you have to cover a lot of distance to get to the shallow water you fish, then you can pull the drive up (Propel) or have the fins folded (Mirage) and use the paddle.

I don't think the Outback paddles horrible, but I also wouldn't want to do it for very long...peddles will spoil you like that.
      Hobie fleet:
      2017 Quest 13
      2015 Outback
      2014 Outback

Comment

Working...
      X