Native Slayer Propel 13 is my next addition to the fleet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pc4sun View Post
    Took the Slayer propel out in the Chesapeake Bay yesterday as a volunteer for the Great Chesapeake Bay swim. Peddled for seven hours while following the swimmers across the Bay. It was very choppy with three foot swells. Sometimes a larger swell would crash over the kayak and I thought for sure I was going to go over, but the Slayer glided through the waves quite we'll, and the reverse option came in handy when I was trying to help about a tired swimmer. My Legs
    never got tired, which after seven hours, was quite surprised.
    Peggy, did it feel tippy out in the middle of the bay? I think the Slayer has some great features but it looks like it has a high center of gravity.
    2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
    Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Originally posted by buzz View Post
      Peggy, did it feel tippy out in the middle of the bay? I think the Slayer has some great features but it looks like it has a high center of gravity.
      I hope Peggy will answer with her own perspectives on this good question. During early May, I launched from Back Creek and crossed the mouth of the Severn River to Greenbury Pt. The wind forecast had called for minor waves, but I ended up experiencing steady 2-footers that came at me on the right side (beam seas). Bay waves are not always uniformly spaced -- often you will get several regular waves in a row, then a few that are bunched together. It is those that have a difference spacing than most that can cause a kayak to rock more than usual and possibly take on water.

I am considerably taller and heavier than Peggy, leading to an even higher center of gravity than she has. Initially it was a bit disconcerting to be sitting up off the water and being pushed from the side by the waves. After a while my body got into a decent rhythm of rolling with the incoming waves. I did move a bit from side to side and did take on some water (which drained out quickly through the Slayer's large-diameter scuppers). But I never came close to rolling. I must admit that I did pay close attention to the incoming waves and did not attempt to troll across to my planned destination.

The Slayer Propel hull has two deeper sections on the sides with somewhat of a tunnel in the middle. This design provides greater resistance to rolling.

001_2.jpg 002_2.jpg 003_2.jpg
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Buzz,
        I hear your concern, and it [I]was [I] mine as well when I had my first rough water trip. The Slayer proved worthy and I did not in the least feel like I was going to roll. I am 5'4 and medium built. I have a friend with a Slayer Propel and she is 5'11 and a bit heavier and she never feels like it is going to roll. The waves were something else out there on Sunday in the middle of the Bay bridge. Often they would break over the kayak and the yak would flood but quickly drain. I also got hit sideways a few times by two footers and did not tip in the least. Hard to believe. There were a couple of people at a time holding on to the same side of the kayak and I wondered if that would be the time I'd flip, but I didn't. I was the only sit on top kayak of the 25 or so kayaks. The Slayer went prety quick through the waves. ONe guy even told me the officials were questioning if I had an electric motor on it, but then told me he was kidding.
        Peggy

Native Slayer Propel 12.5 Max
        Cobra Explorer

Comment

Buzz,
          When I took out John's Propel, I loaded it up with about 40 lbs of gear in an elevated crate. I'm 6' and 230 lbs to give you perspective. Compared to my Outback, I immediately felt tippy...of course I would...I'm sitting up much taller with a higher center of gravity. I had to get over the initial difference in feel for sure. It wasn't long before I was standing on it, so I don't really think there's any stability concerns, but it will feel a little tippier than something that sits lower.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Kokatat Pro Staff
          Torqeedo Pro Staff
          Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
          Alan

Comment

Many great points to consider. I have to check but I thought Slayer had a height adjustable seat that brought you closer to the water if desired. Still have not put my hands on one and arse in one.
            Deadwood (Dave)
            West River & Miles River
            2-Old Town Dirigo 12's,2-Old Town Vapors 10ft, 1-NWSlayer Propel13.
            If you dont go, you wont know, and you got to have bait in the water.

Comment

Thanks Peggy, John, & Alan.
              It's not in the budget yet, but I'm going to have to try one out this summer.
              2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
              Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

All,
                We have sold through our slayer propel stock as they have been popular. We just made our last slayer propel in Gator Bait our demo until we get our next slayer propel shipment in early July. We have blue lagoon, copperhead and Hidden Oak on the way. You all are welcome to demo our Gator Bait anytime. Please just call
                Ahead and give us a couple days notice. We are also selling the Gator Bait for $100 off right now so its $2299.

Thanks guys!

Give us a call at 302-645-7300 with questions or you can web chat us on www.delawarepaddlesports.com

Comment

Thanks, Delaware Paddle Sports.
                  My friend has the Gator Bait and I have the Blue Lagoon. Really nice colors!

Originally posted by Delaware Paddlesports View Post
                  All,
                  We have sold through our slayer propel stock as they have been popular. We just made our last slayer propel in Gator Bait our demo until we get our next slayer propel shipment in early July. We have blue lagoon, copperhead and Hidden Oak on the way. You all are welcome to demo our Gator Bait anytime. Please just call
                  Ahead and give us a couple days notice. We are also selling the Gator Bait for $100 off right now so its $2299.

Thanks guys!

Give us a call at 302-645-7300 with questions or you can web chat us on www.delawarepaddlesports.com
                  Peggy

Native Slayer Propel 12.5 Max
                  Cobra Explorer

Comment

Thanks Brian at DPS. I think the Hidden Oak is my color preference. Sorry I couldnt get down to test the one you had last week.
                    Deadwood (Dave)
                    West River & Miles River

Comment

How did the Demo go yesterday?
                      Deadwood (Dave)
                      West River & Miles River

Comment

Been looking at this SP13 for a little while. I've been using an Outback (w/ turbos) for three years. No regrets, great boat. I do want to try the SP13 out to see what I may be missing. Maybe at DPS one weekend.

- Seems like the mirage drive is more efficient with translational motion of the feet, vs the cycling motion.
                        - What about turning and thrust? I fish CBBT often around pilings and I need max turning response. I get that with the Outback sailing rudder. The SP13 rudder doesn't seem as responsive. The turbos give me very good thrust when I need it to power back into the piling eddys. How does the SP13 compare?
                        - The Outback has a bit of hull slap. It's not a show-stopper, but the slap splashes water on me when I'm cutting through wind and waves at moderate to high speeds. Does the SP13 cut better?
                        - I place the Outback front on the back of my minivan with the yak back end on the ground. Then I lift the back end and push the yak on top of the car. Seems like it'll be a problem with the SP13 rudder because it doesn't stow-away like the Outback rudder.
                        2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                        2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                        2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

I saw two SP13s in action today, reverse is a big deal...I'm jealous! Not to the point of getting off the Hobie though.
                          Hobie fleet:
                          2017 Quest 13
                          2015 Outback
                          2014 Outback

Comment

Just got the call from Brian at DPS and my Slayer Propel is in, now if only my pesky Cuda 14 would sell.

Comment

I'm jealous of all the hand free kayak, but I need the exercise so I'm sticking with Trident for now.

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
                              I saw two SP13s in action today, reverse is a big deal...I'm jealous! Not to the point of getting off the Hobie though.

Comment

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
                                Been looking at this SP13 for a little while. I've been using an Outback (w/ turbos) for three years. No regrets, great boat. I do want to try the SP13 out to see what I may be missing. Maybe at DPS one weekend.

1. Seems like the mirage drive is more efficient with translational motion of the feet, vs the cycling motion.
                                2. What about turning and thrust? I fish CBBT often around pilings and I need max turning response. I get that with the Outback sailing rudder. The SP13 rudder doesn't seem as responsive. The turbos give me very good thrust when I need it to power back into the piling eddys. How does the SP13 compare?
                                3. The Outback has a bit of hull slap. It's not a show-stopper, but the slap splashes water on me when I'm cutting through wind and waves at moderate to high speeds. Does the SP13 cut better?
                                4. I place the Outback front on the back of my minivan with the yak back end on the ground. Then I lift the back end and push the yak on top of the car. Seems like it'll be a problem with the SP13 rudder because it doesn't stow-away like the Outback rudder.
                                I never pedaled a Hobie so I cannot give you a personal comparison between the two models. Here are some reactions to your four points.

1. From pedaling side-by-side with Mark in his Revo, we seem to be exerting similar amounts of effort to go the same speed. The Slayer Propel paddles well in situations when the Propel is not used. I have heard that the Outback does not paddle well.
                                2. The Slayer Propel has a somewhat delayed turning response -- this can be aided by leaning in the opposite direction of the turn (not intuitive, but it does work). The Propel gives strong thrust when needed. You can apply thrust in both forward and reverse to move toward and away from obstacles/structures.
                                3. The Slayer Propel cuts waves fine, but not as smoothly as does my Manta Ray 14. I don't notice any particular hull slap, but I am not worrying about that. Under heavy seas, the Slayer Propel takes a bit of water over the bow -- this water is quickly channeled into the cockpit where 6 oversized scuppers drain it out.
                                4. The Slayer Propel 13 is heavier than the Outback (85 lbs with seat and Propel removed) compared to 75 for the Outback. The new Slayer Propel 10 has a projected hull weight of only 60 lbs. The rudder position works well on the water but is sometimes in the way when moving on land. I now load my Slayer Propel backwards. I lift the rear of the kayak into my minivan and slide it inside, then tie it off. The weight does not sit on the rudder. If I needed to load it on a roof rack, I would do it the same way.

If you would like to take a test ride in my Slayer Propel, we can schedule a time to do that.
                                John Veil
                                Annapolis
                                Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Working...
                                X