Cleaning your kayak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning your kayak

I have a kayak that is in urgent need of a good scrub, were talking stains from leaves and water sitting for long periods of time.. I rather not use chemicals or scratch the yak up with a scotch brite. I read online vinegar and water work well, which on smooth parts of the yak it works great. The rougher parts is where the trouble comes in. This kayak has been neglected to say the least and i would like to bring it back to a new-ish look condition. What do you guys use to clean your yaks? Basically im looking or a more efficient way than to scrub the hull or hours lol. Any tips/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    Jason

-2017 ivory dune pro angler 12' with micro power pole, Lowrance EliteTI7, boonedox landing gear
    -2015 olive outback with Lowrance Hook7,micro power pole, seadek kit, micro power pole
    -Orange Heritage featherlite

I hear you on the avoidance of chemicals, but I'd a detergent of some kind. Formula 409 or Simple Green both have "plastic" listed in cleaning uses; add in elbow grease with a nylon bristle scrub brush.
    Hobie fleet:
    2017 Quest 13
    2015 Outback
    2014 Outback

Comment

On the rough surfaces, a brillo pad worked like a charm. That...and a pressure washer!
      <insert witty comment here>

Comment

I just clean mine with a good bucket of water, a soft scrubbing brush and dish soap. Works like a charm.

Comment

For me, when the fish slime wears off I just go out and apply another coat. Just sayin ...

Comment

I've never tried it on my yak, but the heavy duty Mr. Clean Magic Erasers even took years of neglected brake dust off my car rims when nothing else worked.
            Mike

Comment

Originally posted by mweber02 View Post
              I've never tried it on my yak, but the heavy duty Mr. Clean Magic Erasers even took years of neglected brake dust off my car rims when nothing else worked.
              I second that, for the magic erasers. Sometimes just water, a towel, and elbow grease can get it done. I know a lot of people just leave the slime on, but I try to clean mine after each trip. The way I see it is, if there is something in the waters I'm fishing that might not be in the waters that I fish next, I don't want to transfer anything that may be harmful. You would do the same for wading boots. I know this topic has been debated on other forums, and sometimes get ugly. Definitely not my intention here. Just adding my $.02

Comment

you guys wash your kayaks?
                Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

Fish scales cover leaf stains. Pro Cure masks the mold smell.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
                  Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
                  2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

I squirt my kayak thoroughly with a garden hose after every trip.

In fact, I lay my rods in it and soak them at the same time.

For stains, plus one on the dish detergent and/or Simple Green. Also, textured sponges help.

But for stains from long-term storage I'm not sure anything but elbow grease will work. And given that some plastics are porous, you may never remove a few stains. Consider them "character" for your ride.
                    Mark
                    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

After every outing I scrub my kayak with a deck brush and soapy water...and just rinse of with a garden hose. I spray everything off and even windex the FF screen, lol. In the winter months, I struggle seeing all the water residue and fish slime...my wife says I am borderline OCD, I think I am just really clean.
                      2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                      2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                      2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Bass pro has a kayak cleaner/wash in the marine dept

Comment

Lightly use the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser, it's great but can rub finish and plastic off. Apply Aerospace 303 once cleaned.

Comment

Every once in a while, I will lightly go over mine with the pressure washer when I wash my truck if I fished in nasty water or if it gets smelly from something. I don't see much reason to clean it otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by Pinch View Post
                              you guys wash your kayaks?

I can vouch for Pinch's reply. Lol
                              Still has Carolina salt in the mirage drive.
                              2013 PRO ANGLER 12
                              2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Working...
                              X