DIY roof rack cross bars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY roof rack cross bars

After a few outings with the kayaks my friend is determined to purchase a kayak and join the community. but first he needed to figure out how to transport a kayak from point A to point B. Since hes driving Subaru crossbars would be the best bet and after pricing them out, making them would be a lot cheaper.. so a trip to lowes and $20 later we got started. The idea is to keep a clean look and strong design so we got some stainless bolts and heavy walled electrical conduit..

So far this is what we have after day 1..
    IMG_2830.jpgIMG_2831.jpgIMG_2834.jpgIMG_2837.jpgIMG_2835.jpg

going to work on the clamps tomorrow then weld the conduit ends shut and grind them smooth, then finish it all off with some durable black satin paint.
    Jason

-2017 ivory dune pro angler 12' with micro power pole, Lowrance EliteTI7, boonedox landing gear
    -2015 olive outback with Lowrance Hook7,micro power pole, seadek kit, micro power pole
    -Orange Heritage featherlite

just finished the clamps and everything holds nice and solid, ill weld the ends of the conduit tomorrow.
    IMG_2842.jpgIMG_2843.jpgIMG_2845.jpgIMG_2846.jpg
    Jason

-2017 ivory dune pro angler 12' with micro power pole, Lowrance EliteTI7, boonedox landing gear
    -2015 olive outback with Lowrance Hook7,micro power pole, seadek kit, micro power pole

Comment

sure wish i could machine stuff in the garage!
      sigpic

Comment

Ha yeah it does have its perks at times.
        Jason

Comment

that looks really good, Jason. i'm going to need to get a welder now...
          Sun Fishin'

Comment

Thanks! Never hurts to have a welder around when you need it.
            Jason

Comment

Knowing someone with a welder is a pretty good trade off.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
              PigPen - Mt Airy
              Native Mariner 12.5

Comment

Originally posted by jet View Post
                sure wish i could machine stuff in the garage!
                +1
                Mike

Comment

Finished the bars. My buddy painted them with some kinda epoxy paint. Now he can officially transport a kayak on his own.image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
                  Jason

Comment

Definitely a pair of solid homemade crossbars for less than half the price of OEM/Aftermarket products!! I am allowing the epoxy paint to cure and then I will be mounting them on my Scoobie tomorrow morning and provide some photos.

Thanks to Jason for all of the machining and help.
                    Josh

2014 Wilderness Systems Tarpon 120

Comment

Here go photos of the crossbars installed and with its first kayak on top!

Josh

Comment

Finished bars look really good.
                        Hobie fleet:
                        2017 Quest 13
                        2015 Outback
                        2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
                          Finished bars look really good.
                          Thanks Cowpokey!

I forgot to mention that I added 1" heater hose over top the crossbars for padding when needing to transport a kayak or anything else that requires some padding. Much credit again to Jaspratt for the awesome machine work.
                          Josh

Comment

Didn't notice the hose until you mentioned it. You could slice some pool noodle and use it for a little more cushion if needed.
                            Hobie fleet:
                            2017 Quest 13
                            2015 Outback
                            2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
                              Didn't notice the hose until you mentioned it. You could slice some pool noodle and use it for a little more cushion if needed.
                              Definitely thought of that as my first option. So far this has worked and actually provided a good deal of cushioning for how little material it appears to have. I will be sure to keep the pool noodle in mind though.
                              Josh

Comment

Working...
                              X