Which kayak should i buy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which kayak should i buy

im 16 and really want to get my own kayak. I think i have narrowed it down to the Ascend D10T SOT and the Emotion stealth 11. If anyone has any input on these two boats it would be greatly appreciated. Also, if anyone has any suggestions for other boats it would be appreciated. My budget is around $500. Thanks!!

I was at dick's sporting goods the other day and they have the eagle talon on sale for $349. Looks really nice for something that cheap. You can definitely get on the water with something like that. However, if you plan on really getting into the sport, you will be much happier in the long run with a used ride, trident, tarpon, or something similar. You should be able to find one for not much more than $500 if you're not in a hurry and can look around for a bit. Don't forget you will also need more cash for a bunch of other gear besides just the kayak. This sport can really drain your wallet.

Comment

Where do you plan to kayak, river, bay, larger or smaller waters?

Comment

Originally posted by JohnE View Post
        I was at dick's sporting goods the other day and they have the eagle talon on sale for $349. Looks really nice for something that cheap. You can definitely get on the water with something like that. However, if you plan on really getting into the sport, you will be much happier in the long run with a used ride, trident, tarpon, or something similar. You should be able to find one for not much more than $500 if you're not in a hurry and can look around for a bit. Don't forget you will also need more cash for a bunch of other gear besides just the kayak. This sport can really drain your wallet.
        I bought the d10t last year as my first kayak and John is right. The d10t absolutely gets the job done but I wish I had been able to get something better. My biggest regrets have been the seat, which slides forward easily, gets uncomfortable after a few hours, and sits you in water as soon as any comes over the side or up the scuppers. I fixed the seat with heavy duty velcro, then this year added paracord and 2.25" foam under it. Now I stay dry, more comfortable, and the seat doesn't slide. The lack of hatch space (only have a small 6" round hatch) makes it almost impossible to work inside the hull. Also, because your weight in the d10t is closer to the rear, the yak does not track well at all when you stop paddling.

The d10t is still worth the price but if budget had not been a factor in my purchase I would have chosen a different yak as a better long term investment.
        Mike

Comment

I also went cheap on my first kayak and bought it from Dick's. It was ok. But, in hindsight, I think I should have just spent a little more for something better. It worked fine, but little things like having a wet butt make a big difference.

Comment

Look for nice name brand used one, you'll have better luck on resale when your ready to upgrade.

Comment

i was able to pick up at used ocean kayak prowler 13 for $500 on craigslist. if you look on craigslist and are patient enough, there is bound to be a deal!
              Michael
              2016 Hobie Mirage Outback
              Ocean Kayak Prowler 13

Comment

Look in the Tackle Shop section of snaggedline. There is a Wilderness Tarpon 120 at a very good price. http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...big-catch-seat.
                John Veil
                Annapolis
                Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

You wont regret it if you get that tarpon or a tarpon clone (like west marine pompano120). They are very flexible boats, light, take rough and flat watet. It was chimo's so you know it caught fish.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
                  14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                  2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Working...
                  X