No announcement yet.

Looking for a Trophy Rockfish - 5/17 or 5/18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey yall, I live in CPB now and have been kayak fishing for about 10 years or so on lakes and rivers in KY and VA. I have never fished in the Bay before, but went out yesterday from our beach and caught a lot of white perch off the bottom and a 16" striper in 23 ft of water (also a 7" striper, but we wont talk about that one...). Anyone is welcome to come fishing with me, it's free to launch (for residents and guests) off our private beach. I am usually fishing every weekend and a lot after work during the weekdays.

Not much to catch from the shore seems like. Or I am not using the right tools. But still good to sit and drink a beer.

Comment

Is CPB Chesapeake Beach?
      2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
      Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Originally posted by Frogsauce View Post
        Hey yall, I live in CPB now and have been kayak fishing for about 10 years or so on lakes and rivers in KY and VA. I have never fished in the Bay before, but went out yesterday from our beach and caught a lot of white perch off the bottom and a 16" striper in 23 ft of water (also a 7" striper, but we wont talk about that one...). Anyone is welcome to come fishing with me, it's free to launch (for residents and guests) off our private beach. I am usually fishing every weekend and a lot after work during the weekdays.

Not much to catch from the shore seems like. Or I am not using the right tools. But still good to sit and drink a beer.
        The beach right before Mango's?

Comment

The beach right before Mango's?

Comment

I had a pretty good sleigh ride with a cow the other night down closer to the mouth of the bay. Also managed a 27" striper in same spot. I did get the cow up to the yak, but it freaked when I tried to hold the line in one hand, grab it by the lip with the other, and leg lift it up...ended up snapping the line since it hit the rig I had set up for normal sized stripers.

Your plan on original post sounds pretty good to me. I got into these fish in ripping current adjacent to a drop off on 3/4 or 1oz jig heads. I went back the next day prepared with 80lb fluoro leader on 65pd braid, but not much happening during the day. I really recommend rigging to what's possible, you just never know. Also, people say they have luck in deep water for trophy fish, but I have only gotten into larger stripers on the yak in shallow water myself.

Comment

Yeah, Chesapeake Beach, south side of 260.

Comment

Yeah, not much to catch from shore: It's mudflat out quite a ways. Any sub aquatic vegetation there was wiped out then it was a party town in the 20's. Two old steamboat wrecks that can be productive - there's on the charts. There's not much beach south of 260 and north of Brownie's, only a little spit behind the old railroad station.
                TwinBeachBum - Cluttering up north and Chesapeake beach since the mid-80's
                Wilderness systems Pamlico tandem, Ocean Kayak Trident 13

Please support my Ride to Conquer Cancer benefiting Johns Hopkins Cancer Center and others

Comment

I think I saw the wrecks on the charts. Might check those out next. I just like wheeling the kayak out of the garage and right into the water without having to pack it in the truck and drive somewhere. I am not sure if there are trophy rockfish to catch out there, but there is something to catch.

Comment

I just like wheeling the kayak out of the garage and right into the water without having to pack it in the truck and drive somewhere.
                    Jealousy...it just hit a new level.
                    Hobie fleet:
                    2017 Quest 13
                    2015 Outback
                    2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
                      Jealousy...it just hit a new level.
                      I'll make a thread on it before I go out next time. Yall are always welcome to paddle out with me. I ain't too proud to learn a thing or two.

Comment

Working...
                      X