Looking for a Trophy Rockfish - 5/17 or 5/18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a Trophy Rockfish - 5/17 or 5/18

I would like to hit the Bay this Saturday or Sunday for some trophy striper action.
    Although I've been out many times in the past for trophy striper, I was just a passenger on a charter captain's boat, so I don't know where or what he was doing to put us on the fish.

I was planning to troll a 3/4oz jig with an 8" Gulp eel along the drop-offs parallel to shore. Does that sound good or should I head for deeper water? Any tips welcome.

Not sure where I'm launching from... PLO or Beverly-Triton...
    2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
    Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

I fished for a few hours last week trolling three tandem rigs on my Pro Angler at the mouth of St. Mary's River on the Potomac River. I did Mark some fish but didn't hook into any. I had some trouble managing my speed and I probably put a little too much weight in the water. I also think I fished too shallow. I think the fish are still hanging and traveling in the deep water. I was only in about 35 feet of water. I know they are catching fish in good numbers just outside my creek on the edge off the channel south of Point No Point but I don't think that's in kayak range without a motor. I thing Point Lookout would be an excellent choice to take a shot at one. I would be there myself this weekend of I didn't have to run out of town with the family. I am planning on fished tomorrow in the Potomac River, I will try to post a report.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition
    Live for today, and fish often...
    2014 Pro Angler 14
    St. Jerome Creek, Dameron

Comment

Thanks Jambone. Good luck out there today.
      Look forward to your report.

Comment

Originally posted by buzz View Post
        Thanks Jambone. Good luck out there today.
        Look forward to your report.
        I did make it out on the water today inn my friends Carolina Skiff. Sadly I have nothing good to report. The wind was blowing hard against the tide which proved too much for the skiff to fish the Potomac River. We poked around some of the calm water in Breton Bay to hunt for perch for a short while but nothing. The only good news I can report is that we did run into one guy that was fishing from a kayak and he has been picking through some rockfish recently including a nice keeper. I encouraged him to join the forum. Lastly, the water color was terrible. It was a nice dark amber color and I think that played a big part in helping us strike out today. I hope to make it back out there soon, and in the kayak.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition
        Live for today, and fish often...
        2014 Pro Angler 14
        St. Jerome Creek, Dameron

Comment

Darn. Sorry to hear it was a wash.
          A buddy of mine went out on a charter yesterday and did pretty good. They cruised the western shore between Cove Pt and the cliffs.
          CB_20140513.jpg
          He had asked me to join them but I had to work... besides I'd rather pull one of those up on my kayak than let the mate on a charter net it for me.

Comment

I'm planning on catching the morning falling tide on Sunday out of Fishing Creek to go troll for rock.

~8:30 am or so launch. Out the channel to the drop, south to the wreck near the NRL and back.

It's $5 to hand-launch there, and it includes restrooms, parking, and a place to clean fish/dump waste.

More the merrier.
            TwinBeachBum - Cluttering up north and Chesapeake beach since the mid-80's
            Wilderness systems Pamlico tandem, Ocean Kayak Trident 13

Please support my Ride to Conquer Cancer benefiting Johns Hopkins Cancer Center and others

Comment

That's Chesapeake Beach... right?

Comment

Right, behind the water park.

2nd left of Gordon Stinnett Ave in Chesapeake Beach.

Tyler's Tackle is the close place to snag supplies you forgot on the way in.

Please support my Ride to Conquer Cancer benefiting Johns Hopkins Cancer Center and others

Comment

Sounds good. They are predicting 10mph winds. Hope that's all. Much more than that and I get a lot of splash in the yak.
                  I cut the grass yesterday so that's out of the way. And I plan to pack up the Jeep tonight.

I'm planning on bringing xraps, jigs, tubes, swimbaits, and Gulp eels.
                  And if I have time I was also thinking I should stop and pick up some live menhaden.

Comment

Got out there (Launched at 8:40 or so), but the winds were to much and straight down the bay.

Turned around and just toodled around the creek. Nothing in there was interested in what I had.

Comment

TwinBeachsBum, I live within earshot of the creek and looking for someone to get the yak wet with that lives nearby. My only issue, is that I can't get in the yak for several more weeks. I ruptured a quadracep tendon and tore a bunch of muscle that is healing after surgery two weeks ago. I haven't been out since rock season opened and it's killing me.

Don Haller
                      Chesapeake Beach

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
                      Don Haller
                      Chesapeake Beach, MD
                      Blaze Orange, Jackson Kayak "Cuda 14"

“There can’t be good living, where there is not good drinking.”
                      – Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by TwinBeachsBum View Post
                        Got out there (Launched at 8:40 or so), but the winds were to much and straight down the bay.

Turned around and just toodled around the creek. Nothing in there was interested in what I had.
                        I had to work in the AM, but got out on the water by noon. A little breezy but not too bad. Really had more trouble with the boat traffic than anything else (seemed like a couple of captains were really trying to tip me over).

Cruised straight out to the western channel border and turned south for about a mile. Marked a few fish here and there but didn't spot any schools. As I turned to head back north, I landed a 22" striper on a yellow bucktail tipped with a chartreuse swimming mullet. Foolishly I let her go thinking this was just the start of my day. Another hour rolled by before I landed my second fish on the same rod. A 17" striper. Little did I know that was to be my last fish of the day.

I launched from Marina West in Chesapeake Beach. Great operation there. They have 6 concrete ramps and a floating canoe/kayak launch. The people there are very helpful and friendly. You launch right onto Fishing Creek, which is nice quiet and calm stream. I saw a bunch of good sized grass shrimp by the ramp so I imagine come June, there will be lots of spot and perch back in the creek which will bring in a few striper too. The creek provides quick and easy access to the bay.... but watch out for the big boats.

A lot of fishing charters head out from the Rod & Reel, which is right across the street from Marina West. This combined with the recreational boaters out of Marina West makes for a steady stream of boat traffic heading in and out all day. And for this reason, I will not be coming back to Chesapeake Beach.

Comment

Hi Buzz, does Marina West charge for kayak launch?
                          2013 Yellow Hobie Outback
                          Kayak Fishing Blog - Cymbula Piscator

Comment

Yes. $5
                            I have been meaning to ask if they would do a season pass, but haven't done so yet.

Don Haller
                            Chesapeake Beach, MD
                            Blaze Orange, Jackson Kayak "Cuda 14"

“There can’t be good living, where there is not good drinking.”
                            – Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Nitefly View Post
                              Hi Buzz, does Marina West charge for kayak launch?
                              Originally posted by Biggrizzly View Post
                              Yes. $5
                              I have been meaning to ask if they would do a season pass, but haven't done so yet.

What Biggrizzly said.

And nice clean bathrooms too.

Comment

Working...
                              X