No announcement yet.

Question of the Day 3/24/11: ANCHORS??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question of the Day 3/24/11: ANCHORS??

I just got my anchor trolley materials save the clamcleat and some pad eyes. My question is what type of anchor do you guys use for the type of fishing we do around the bay. I had a grapnel anchor i used a year ago but lost it really early on in the old bridge rubble in loch raven. What weight and style do you guys perfer? Mushroom, grapnel, river.....
    Link to fishing vid, oldie but goodie.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...4894489669049#

i use a 3lb grapnel anchor. it works good around the bay and its easy to store in the hatch.
    Hobie Revolution 13
    Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

i had a leftover 4lbs down-rigger lead, works great for me and rarely gets hung up

Comment

I have a 3lbs grapnel anchor, I found a video where you tie the line to the bottom eye and attach to the top eye with a wire tie or rope that way if you are snaggeg you give a quick hard tug and the tie breaks and the anchor is pulled up upside down unsnagging itself. have not gotten stuck yet to see if it works.
        Don't know if it works until you try it.

Ocean Kayak Big Game
        LL Bean Manatee 10

Comment

I generally just pick up a random piece of rip rap from the shore I am launching from to use as my anchor weight. Cheap and somewhat effective. I think I need to use a heavier rock than a comparable anchor would need to be but you can't beat the price Started doing this after forgeting the anchor at home a few to many times Good fishin

Chimo

Comment

I use a 5 lb folding anchor. Works great. I have been using the same break a way electical tie type rig.

Comment

I guess you need a 5 lbs anchor when you have the Titanic for a kayak!!!!
              How much rope does every one have attached to there anchor
              Don't know if it works until you try it.

Ocean Kayak Big Game
              LL Bean Manatee 10

Comment

Originally posted by Tucked In View Post
                I guess you need a 5 lbs anchor when you have the Titanic for a kayak!!!!
                How much rope does every one have attached to there anchor
                Oh No ........... I have the Titanic ........... he's still a Titanic Dreamer ....

Comment

I use a 5lb anchor with somewhere between 50 and 75ft of line on the spool. I used some of it for other projects. Anyway, I can hold my position in 35ft of water in 25mph+ winds. An anchor that was too light cost me some excellent bottom fishing one day, and I swore I wouldn't make that mistake again. I also have a 1lb brass weight about 1ft above the anchor to get the anchor to dig in.
                  Last edited by ictalurus; 03-25-2011, 12:29 PM.
                  Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
                  Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Glad I saw this ......... I was going to get a 2 lb ........ now I have to rethink that ......

Kevin ......what do you use ?

Comment

Working...
                    X